Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sweet Potatoes? page

reallygravity is offline Senior Member

Sweet Potatoes?

Forgive me if this is a plainly dumb question for those who have been doing this for a while.

I have been eating a low-carb, high protein, low fat diet for a year or so now. Two months ago, I stopped the low-fat craziness and switched to high-fat.

I have been staying away from sweet potatoes, thinking they might not be good for me (for weight loss AND avoiding water retention/bloating). I am getting a feeling I am wrong, because I see people on the board here enjoying sweet potatoes.

What is the general consensus? I love sweet potatoes, and would love to add it to my diet. How much of it can I eat (per week), just to get an idea about "moderation"?

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    I eat sweet potatoes all the time. In fact last night I had eggs over easy, sausage and sweet potato hash. I usually eat them on days I workout. Although I probably wouldn't eat 10 pounds a week, I don't see a reason to limit them. unless oh course you are considerably over weight and looking to lose.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    If you're still wanting to lose weight, I'd suggest no more than 1/2 cup at a time, 2 or 3 sweet potatoes a week should be fine, they're full of goodness and fiber, so enjoy!

When you get like some folks around here, really exercising hard, strong as an ox and sprinting around in their lean bods, you can eat as many as you want. They have already got to where many of us wish to be

jakey is offline Senior Member
    don't worry about sweet potatotes, they're great.

but why-o-why were you trying to go low fat, low carb and high protein? that starts to suck, a lot, quickly.

primalswan is offline Senior Member
    I eat them nearly every day in some form. (about 1/2 a medium/day) I have lost 23 lbs in 11 weeks and exercise moderately. Walking or hiking 2 times a week for an hour, boot camp 2X week, heavy lifting 1X week. When I went from low carb to moderate carb (75-100 g/day) my weight loss pattern shifted from consistently losing about 2lbs a week, to maintaining for 2-3 weeks and then suddenly losing 5lbs all at once. Fine with me and I feel a lot better. I started by just adding one into a dish of chicken curry, then eating 1/2 one every 3 days or so, then every other, etc. to see how it impacted me personally.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    When you get like some folks around here, really exercising hard, strong as an ox and sprinting around in their lean bods, you can eat as many as you want. They have already got to where many of us wish to be
    Can't wait to join the club

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Can't wait to join the club
    Me too, darlin'

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post

but why-o-why were you trying to go low fat, low carb and high protein? that starts to suck, a lot, quickly.
    Unfortunately, because I didnt know better. Havent you heard--every single, medically responsible person telling you, fat aint good for you? Clearly, I bought into it. I did lose 35 pounds...and my mind. Craved sugar and carbs all the time, like my life depended on it. Not anymore. Thank you, fat.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I love sweet potatoes and there are tons of different primal things you can do with them.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you everyone for your reply. This is such a great, helpful community!

Though I have nearly reached my goal weight, I would like to lean out more. I suppose I can eat some sweet potato every week. Hey--better than all the other crappy carbs I ate for most of my life!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast