Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts page

Ouaouaron is offline Senior Member

Martial Arts

Shop Now
    Anybody studying/doing martial arts? which one and why do you like it and would you recommend it to others?
    An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good!'
    -Somebody funny

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing tae kwon do for 2.5 years. My husband and two sons also do TKD, and there are some classes we take as a family. (We'll all be testing for our black belts together in about 16 months!) I hugely enjoy it, and I consider it part of the "play" of TPB fitness. (Except for TKD tournament class, which is a little bit of hell.) I hugely enjoy doing forms, and there's something very empowering about breaking boards with my bare hands and feet. Of course, there's sparring, and all the kicking/punching drills we do to help us with our sparring. My husband and sons love that part of TKD; while I don't love it, I do like how I've gotten much stronger and faster. And, admittedly, I feel like a total badass.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I loved Krav Maga because it's raw and practical. I want to get into Systema because it's ... well, just watch some videos about it.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Scott FM is offline Junior Member
    I've also been doing Taekwondo for the last 6 years. I had to lay off it for a year and a half after an injury but am now back at it hard.
    As with a lot of martial arts, most workouts are instense, but that can be the fun of it. Frankly at 50 I'm in better condition than I was 10 years ago and having fun doing it. When I started I was terrible at it but it reflected my overall condition. Now I can do full weight single leg squats, do more push ups than a lot of the teen agers, and energy levels are up overall. As with anything, you have to do it for the right reasons and enjoy it.
    As an aside, I would agree with Krav Maga being more raw and practical....personally I'd love to find a good school close to me and supplement what I'm doing.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Practiced tai chi for 10 years. Wanted to learn Baguazhang, but just couldn't get the circle walking down. Tried kung fu for awhile, but my brain couldn't wrap around learning tai chi forms AND kung fu at the same time. So I just stuck with tai chi, which by the way IS a martial art.

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    Been taking Krav Maga for about 7 months now. Really like it.

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member
    I've also been taking Taekwondo. It'll be 5 years coming up this Summer.

skobb77 is offline Junior Member
    I've done martial arts off and on for years. Several years of Shaolin kung-fu and a few more of Tae Kwon Do. Unfortunately, I have to move every few years for my job so it is hard to progress too far these days.

My method for picking an art these days is too find something interesting with a school that feels right. I've gotten past the point of caring how "practical" an art is. The truth is, 99% of us will never get into a fight anyway and in that remaining 1% of the time fighting back might just get you killed. It certainly doesn't hurt to know how to take care of yourself and it is great for your confidence, but I'd go with something you like, not whatever the martial arts flavor of the month is.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Jeet Kune Do, MMA, ECQC (some form of it), BJJ.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Nick the Destroyer is offline Senior Member
    Kenpo for 26 years now. The key is to find a school or an instructor that you really like, style really isn't as much of a concern in my opinion. Besides, in 26 years I've had to use what I know exactly zero times.
    "Suffer no guilt yee who wield this in the name of Crom"
    Quote on the Father's Sword

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast