Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: milk versus cultured dairy page

fiercehunter is offline Banned

Question milk versus cultured dairy

Primal Fuel
    I didn't drink regular milk for many years, well more like decades, since I was about 20. Over the years I got so much mis and disinformation about dairy and in the last few years started to favor cultured dairy over regular milk which I came to think of as gross. I'm wondering if anyone else has been brainwashed to think cultured dairy like yogurt and kefir is better than regular old milk.

3347149262_5cf34e386e_o.jpg

Annana is offline Senior Member
    I prefer kefir to normal milk because it agrees with my stomach. If I drink a glass of milk, I end up with stomach pains due to either the casein or lactose. But because these things are missing in kefir, I don't get any adverse affects from drinking it. Also, who can resist all the health benefits of kefir!

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member
    I would pick cultured dairy over regular pasteurized milk any day. But a big glass of fresh raw milk? Yum... And raw milk often doesn't upset people's tummys because the enzymes and good bacteria are still alive. I get a gallon every 2 weeks for 2 of us, so not crazy milk consumption.

I think, you know, you should pick the cultured dairy because it will be better equiped to hold a conversation with you.

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Return of Dado View Post
    I think, you know, you should pick the cultured dairy because it will be better equiped to hold a conversation with you.
    You're funny!

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    We eat Plain Whole Milk Yogurt, hard cheese for k2 and sometimes kefir for probiotics. Used to drink whole milk but stopped because of the lactose (we never had a problem digesting it) and it's basically "dead" because of pasteurization. If you choose to drink milk, it should be raw. Not sure even raw milk is good for most people though.
    Last edited by Moochy; 06-08-2012 at 11:58 AM.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

One thing I notice when at the store, Whole Foods for example, is that all of the Kefir's state that they have probiotics, but are also pasteurized. Wouldn't pasteurzing kill those probiotic cultures?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    I didn't drink regular milk for many years, well more like decades, since I was about 20. Over the years I got so much mis and disinformation about dairy and in the last few years started to favor cultured dairy over regular milk which I came to think of as gross. I'm wondering if anyone else has been brainwashed to think cultured dairy like yogurt and kefir is better than regular old milk.

3347149262_5cf34e386e_o.jpg
    Ray Peat's stuff is not all that reliable IMO. Interesting to read, but not where I would hang my hat.....

Far as milk I only eat raw, fermented, or good cheeses from grass fed cows.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-08-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SixteenDollars View Post
    One thing I notice when at the store, Whole Foods for example, is that all of the Kefir's state that they have probiotics, but are also pasteurized. Wouldn't pasteurzing kill those probiotic cultures?
    My guess is that it's pasteurized milk that is then cultured and fermented.

Paleobird Guest
    I recently ran across cultured coconut milk at my local Sprouts. All the good enzymes of kefir with a lot less carbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast