Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My mom has cancer...have nutrition suggestions for recovery? page

BestBetter is offline Senior Member

My mom has cancer...have nutrition suggestions for recovery?

Shop Now
    My mom just got diagnosed with a form of skin cancer that supposedly responds very well to chemo radiation, so that's the route she decided to go. I'm going to stay with her during the last 3 weeks of her treatment, which is when it will probably be the worst. Honestly, as a recovering alcoholic and smoker, I'm a little surprised that she didn't develop something worse.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions or resources they can point me toward to figure out the best way to rebuild her immune system afterward, as well as some recipe ideas for things that will be easy for her to consume when she's got a burning throat (I'm thinking cold/liquids) and nauseous, and generally feeling crappy. Her diet overall is pretty decent, and she's very open-minded when it comes to trying new foods/things in general.

I'm very sorry to hear that. I've heard that an alkaline diet is cancer fighting, so lots of fruits and vegetables. Maybe fresh juices and green smoothies?

Wishing you both the best.

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member
    I'm very sorry to hear about your mom, but it sounds like the prognosis is pretty good.

As far as rebuilding her immune system, I would definitely recommend bone broths made from really good quality bones. Bone broth is pretty much a panacea. It is easy to get down/digest, it will help rebuild her skin, bones, and hair, and it is extremely nutritious.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Robb Wolf talks about brain cancer in Episode 118 of the Paleo Solution podcast:
    http://robbwolf.com/wp//wp-content/u...transcript.pdf

He recommends a ketogenic diet. I think some of the concepts would also apply for skin cancers. Best wishes to your mom during her treatment.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I dont have anything to add but wanted to say I was sorry to hear this.

The book Anticancer by Dr. David Servain-Schreiber has a lot of good info in it pertaining to foods to eat. An easy and quick read, and you can ignore the parts that don't jive with Primal.

Also, consider a mushroom supplent that contains reishi, shiitake, and maitake (and turkey tail mushroom - Trametes versicolor, if possible). There's nascent research showing that these mushrooms have cancer-fighting potential. Can be ordered inexpensively from places like Swanson vitamins.

Good luck and God bless.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the responses, I plan to do a ton of research and I'll defintely get a copy of Anticancer to start with.

I definitely have plans to bring an armload of meatstock bones from the farmers market so I can make some killer bone broths, but I'm worried she won't want anything hot for a little while.

Any suggestions are really appreciated!

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member
    She could try it cold...It's kinda like meat jello...although now that I'm typing it out, it doesn't sound particularly appetizing, especially if you're nauseated from chemo.

On the anti-cancer diet front, I think you should be careful about the advice you take, because every type of cancer is different and will respond to diet differently. Ketogenic diets can definitely be great for fighting cancer, but just make sure to do a little research into the type of cancer and it's relationship with insulin, etc.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Butter & coconut oil, go to the store and buy immediately. Have her work up to 3 tablespoons of CO a day and at least half a stick of butter a day. This thread has some other good guidelines:
    Ray Peat Eating Guidelines : Semi Low-Carb Plans Forum : Active Low-Carber Forums

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    She's lucky to have you, hugs to you both.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast