Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: My mom has cancer...have nutrition suggestions for recovery? page 6

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    I think butter & coconut are especially healing foods- upwards of 8 tablespoons a day would not be too much probably. If your mom can tolerate dairy it's a good source of protein and minerals- protein is critical.
    One of the things not well tolerated by my digestive system (YMMV) during chemo was anything other than minimal fat. 8 tbs of CO would give me the runs even when perfectly healthy as it does to a lot of people. Coconut is good but it is not the panacea that it some websites make it out to be.

As Survivor said, let your Mom guide you and, while you can try to stay Primal, being on chemo is not a time for orthorexia. It is about eating whatever you can keep down in order to keep your strength up.

Big hugs to both you and your mom.

Robin

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Sorry but I call BS. My oncologist works for an HMO. He gets the same salary if I live or die. He is not selling anything. He is advising me to do what he honestly thinks is best for my health because he actually cares. What a concept. The doctor bashing around here gets really old. These people are f@cking heroes! They should be saluted for the hard (very hard) work that they do. They save people's lives day in and day out.

Insufficient iodine can be a problem. But people self diagnosing as being deficient in iodine because someone who wanted to sell them books about iodine and iodine supplements said so is a bigger problem because mega doses of iodine when you don't need them will trash your thyroid.

Total agreement about treating health. It is the best way to prevent a cancer from happening. I'm all in favor of that. But once you have a cancer you do have to treat the illness, like it or not. No amount of pool disinfectant, iodine, or coffee enemas is going to make that just go away.
    I was almost killed by one of your "hero's" when I was 27 years old because the doctor didn't like the fact that I had no insurance and he didn't want me to have two surgeries instead of one. So he performed one that had never been performed on a human just to save a few bucks. That sounds alot like MONEY GRUBBING to me and alot less like life saving. Sorry if I don't agree with your idea of heroism when they are getting paid 100's of thousands of dollars (Even HMO doctors) from big pharma companies for perscribing medications that may or may not show up on the list of deadly medicines later on down the road. And oncologist's are the worst. When people have to have fund raiser's just to pay the doctor for thier chemo it isn't like they are doing it for free. I will totally agree that the doctors who choose to go outside of the norm and search for treatments that aren't going to pay them a big fat check are absolutely heroes but they are few and far between. The doctors who go to 3rd world countries to help people who don't even know what an HMO is are heroes. HMO's still pay doctors really well. I'm pretty sure a Teacher, a Fireman, and a Nurse would drool at the site of a pay check coming from an HMO and they ARE heroes.

But I don't want to make this thread all about our disagreement on types of cancer therapy. This is about someones mother having cancer and her asking for suggestions on dietary help after chemo. We all have different perspectives and I hope that the OP will take this into consideration. I have never had cancer and so I do not have this perspective. I have however had a few family members die of cancer (hence the research on it) and I know that the support you give is extremely important to thier recovery or to thier last years. I will respect all who have suggested things as they all have a unique perspective that I will never have. In otherwards I have never walked in thier shoes. I wish the OP luck and will keep her and her mother in my thoughts and prayers.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mom5booklover View Post
    I was almost killed by one of your "hero's" when I was 27 years old because the doctor didn't like the fact that I had no insurance and he didn't want me to have two surgeries instead of one. So he performed one that had never been performed on a human just to save a few bucks. That sounds alot like MONEY GRUBBING to me and alot less like life saving. Sorry if I don't agree with your idea of heroism when they are getting paid 100's of thousands of dollars (Even HMO doctors) from big pharma companies for perscribing medications that may or may not show up on the list of deadly medicines later on down the road. And oncologist's are the worst. When people have to have fund raiser's just to pay the doctor for thier chemo it isn't like they are doing it for free. I will totally agree that the doctors who choose to go outside of the norm and search for treatments that aren't going to pay them a big fat check are absolutely heroes but they are few and far between. The doctors who go to 3rd world countries to help people who don't even know what an HMO is are heroes. HMO's still pay doctors really well. I'm pretty sure a Teacher, a Fireman, and a Nurse would drool at the site of a pay check coming from an HMO and they ARE heroes.

But I don't want to make this thread all about our disagreement on types of cancer therapy. This is about someones mother having cancer and her asking for suggestions on dietary help after chemo. We all have different perspectives and I hope that the OP will take this into consideration. I have never had cancer and so I do not have this perspective. I have however had a few family members die of cancer (hence the research on it) and I know that the support you give is extremely important to thier recovery or to thier last years. I will respect all who have suggested things as they all have a unique perspective that I will never have. In otherwards I have never walked in thier shoes. I wish the OP luck and will keep her and her mother in my thoughts and prayers.
    Total agreement on this point.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with a doctor. What happened to you was wrong but that is not a reason to condemn the entire profession. I had a really crappy fifth grade science teacher. Does that make all teachers evil?

Point of factual disagreement. Doctors in my HMO make $0 from pharma companies. My dad's Primary Care MD, also in the same HMO has been taking him off of several unneeded meds (prescribed years ago). Direct quote from her : "When it comes to medication, less is more."

It sucks that anyone should have to have a fundraiser to pay for medical treatment. Mine is free because I have good insurance but many people don't. The fact that the insurance system in this country sucks, however, is also NOT a reason to condemn doctors. They didn't create the system. They do the best they can within it.

I agree that nurses, teachers and firefighters are heroes. (I was a teacher so I'm kind of partial to them). But where did this myth get started that all doctors are rich? They spend the first ten years of their careers trying to pay off huge student loans and stay afloat. Sure, a plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills is getting rich but not a fresh out of med school doctor at an HMO.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 06-11-2012 at 04:46 PM.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Survivor View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that your taste can totally change during cancer. I have just finished a year of surgeries, chemo, radiation, etc. Cancer sucks. Cancer treatments suck. The alternative to treating cancer sucks even worse.

For me, water was about the worst thing I could put in my mouth after treatment. I drank a lot of cold herbal teas and even flavored water. It's super important not to get dehydrated.

Fruit was torture as well. All of it tasted rotten to me, and the acid irritated my mouth. I did eat veggies during this time, but not a ton of them.

The only thing I wanted when I would crawl out of the chemo hole was red meat. Lots and lots of red meat. I was so very anemic, but never needed a transfusion. I think this is because I listened to my body and ate as much meat as I craved.

I also drank Kefir to help with the gut problems. I was on 4 different anti-nausea meds, but that only helped so much. Plus with most chemo, you will experience "output" issues. Keep some milk of magnesia on hand.

Your mom may be totally different. I think if she listens to her body, she'll know what she needs. It may even be non primal. Once she gets thru chemo, then you can concentrate on making sure she is getting nutrient dense foods to rebuild what chemo tore down. I ate a ton of refined, horrible carbs during this time. It's how I was able to get through it. And now, I'm primal and healing. She'll survive chemo. Then she can work on the thrive part :-)
    I'll keep the herbal tea/flavored waters idea in mind if water is a problem.

You mentioned that "output" is an issue with chemo - i guess my in depth experience with IBS constipation will really come in handy here! Glad these years of bathroom torture will at least be able to help someone else.

Since nauseau will be a factor...any suggestions on the best form of ginger to use (tea vs dried crystallized ginger) or is that just personal preference?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I'll keep the herbal tea/flavored waters idea in mind if water is a problem.

You mentioned that "output" is an issue with chemo - i guess my in depth experience with IBS constipation will really come in handy here! Glad these years of bathroom torture will at least be able to help someone else.

Since nauseau will be a factor...any suggestions on the best form of ginger to use (tea vs dried crystallized ginger) or is that just personal preference?
    You might try some rooibos tea. I agree with Survivor that acidic drinks/foods are not appealing during chemo because of all the excess acid being produced in your stomach. Rooibos is from an African plant (not really a tea plant at all) but it has been a part of traditional African medicine since before recorded history particularly for digestive upsets. The other nice thing about it is that you can steep it as long as you want with no bitterness because is has no tannic acid (unlike most teas).

Also because of all this excess acid, carbs can really appeal. I liked just plain mashed potatoes, no butter or sour cream or chives. Try to get root veggie carbs instead of grain carbs but if all she wants to eat is Wonder Bread, that is better than not eating at all.

During chemo the body goes through some wild swings. I was on a once every three week schedule for six treatments total. So during each thee week segment there would be a few really awful days then some OK but just tired days and then a few almost normal days. And then it would start again. The point is to "make hay while the sun shines" on those good days and get as much nutrition as possible into her. Then when she has some bad days, she will have an energy reserve to draw on.

Any kind of ginger tea would be great. Also some ginger kombucha could be a nice treat.

Survivor, a big hug to you too. I agree cancer and cancer treatments suck but surviving is good.

Survivor is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post

I tried natural ginger ale, ginger tea, fresh ginger steeped in water and crystallized ginger. Unfortunately, I couldn't stomach any of it; it was much too spicy for me. You can try different types, but most likely a bland diet will help more then anything. I was on a dense dose schedule, I had chemo every 2 weeks for 16 weeks. The lining of my esophagus and stomach didn't really have time to recover. It may be different with your mom.

I think the important thing is to just keep an open mind. Offer the good stuff, but accept if she doesn't want it. Try different remedies, but don't be surprised if the pharmacy becomes her best friend. The one thing that helped me most of all was a loving support system. Really, that is so much more important then nutrition during what will probably be the most physically difficult thing she has ever done. Having you there, concerned for her and her health, THAT is the remedy that will help her the most.

Paleobird Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Survivor View Post
    I tried natural ginger ale, ginger tea, fresh ginger steeped in water and crystallized ginger. Unfortunately, I couldn't stomach any of it; it was much too spicy for me. You can try different types, but most likely a bland diet will help more then anything. I was on a dense dose schedule, I had chemo every 2 weeks for 16 weeks. The lining of my esophagus and stomach didn't really have time to recover. It may be different with your mom.

I think the important thing is to just keep an open mind. Offer the good stuff, but accept if she doesn't want it. Try different remedies, but don't be surprised if the pharmacy becomes her best friend. The one thing that helped me most of all was a loving support system. Really, that is so much more important then nutrition during what will probably be the most physically difficult thing she has ever done. Having you there, concerned for her and her health, THAT is the remedy that will help her the most.
    Yep, ginger was too "spicy" for me too except on those occasional good days. Blandness is definitely the way to go.

Survivor, yikes, every two weeks must have been rough. I thought three week intervals were bad. I'm so glad you made it through.

BestBetter, she is really lucky to have someone as concerned as you to care for her. As Survivor said, that makes all the difference in the world.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456