Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: My mom has cancer...have nutrition suggestions for recovery? page 5

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    BestBetter, Grizz goes through phases like this. One time it is leptin. the next month everybody is massively vitamin D deficient and must take 10 million IU a day or the sky is going to fall. His latest kick is iodine. He read a book, drank the Kool aid and is now preaching it from the internet rooftops. He means well but he takes things to extremes and believes some very questionable sources unquestioningly.

I hope you have better critical thinking skills, for your mom's sake. Excess iodine can be just as harmful as insufficient iodine if not more so. It can trash your thyroid which is the last thing that someone on chemo needs. Yet we have a bunch of people on the iodine thread self-diagnosing as deficient and mega dosing with iodine. Unless an iodine insufficiency is medically DIAGNOSED, nobody should be taking iodine. It is nothing to fool around with.

I second the smoothies and smooth soups recommendation. Putting regular food in the blender and making cream of whatever soup really works. I found dairy product problematic and anything spicy but that may vary from person to person.

Also, I don't know what the laws are in your area, but you might consider procuring a bit of the smokable nausea suppressant for your mom if you catch my drift. I don't normally partake in the herb but it really helped me while on chemo to keep food down.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    PaleoBird,
    Sorry to say, but that is the WORST way to get your iodine. Seaweed is contaminated with toxins including arsenic. And now the Fukushima Nuclear crises is contaminating the entire pacific with radioactive fish & seaweed, and there is no end in sight for the radioactive water gushing into the sea. Mercury is poisoning many species of sea fish. The object is to reduce the toxins in our body, not increase toxin levels with contaminated seafood.

Lugols & iodoral iodine is pure and toxin free. Eat contaminated seafood? NO WAY, and NOT recommended by any iodine doctor.

Shame on you for calling Dr. Kruse & Dr. Brownstein liers.

Have you even looked at our TESTIMONIALS ? Click on the chapter Testimonials in this file:
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

Have you even looked at the RESEARCH chapter in the above file? I think you just dismiss everything offhand. Iodine cured my Prostate problems. Are you going to call me a lier ?
    Depending on where your veggies are grown they could have toxic substances in them too. And so could the animals who graze on the toxic grass. Shall we all just stop eating then? The concentration of toxins in my nori wrap is not enough to harm me while it is plenty to give me any iodine I might need. And run a geiger counter over my sushi, I dare ya. Nope. No radiation. Calm the eff down, Grizz.

The fact that "iodine doctors" recommend something means nothing to me. They are recommending their products and selling their books, all based on hype and fear and you have bought it hook, line, and radiation free sinker.

I never called Dr. Brownstein a liar just a good book salesman. Kruse , OTOH, has a long history of playing fast and loose with the truth. Both Richard at Free the Animal and Robb Wolf have gotten tired of his shenanigans and called him out publicly.

Testimonials, yeahright. There are lots of testimonials on the page for the guy who sells pool disinfectant as a cancer cure too.
    Anecdotes =/= evidence. Your case is just one more anecdote. I am not calling you a liar. Just a well meaning guy who drank some Kool aid.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Well to put it in perspective the iodine docs peddling their own cure and books are really no different than the oncologist peddling their own cure and book. Oncologists just have better funding and lobbyist. Just saying. I'm not even a big iodine fan except you do have to recognize that it is quit good in improving immune function, and cancer is at least in some respect an immune disorder.

In general you must treat health. Give your body an abundance of what it needs to be well (nutrition, movement, thought/rest/social) and remove toxins. There are no shortcuts in that respect. If you choose to add surgery....chemo....or radiation to that to treat the specific process then so be it (and this may be quite necessary), but recognize that the intervention is the adjunct therapy. Treating health is primary.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moorewapyun View Post
    I definitely have plans to bring an armload of meatstock bones from the farmers market so I can make some killer bone broths, but I'm worried she won't want anything hot for a little while
    FYI I freeze the broth and use it in smoothies for my son. Its the only way he eats it, but this may be a good way for you to add some nutrition to a cold smooth drink for your mom....

Woops responded to a spam bot didn't I?....ah well I stand by it.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Well to put it in perspective the iodine docs peddling their own cure and books are really no different than the oncologist peddling their own cure and book. Oncologists just have better funding and lobbyist. Just saying. I'm not even a big iodine fan except you do have to recognize that it is quit good in improving immune function, and cancer is at least in some respect an immune disorder.

In general you must treat health. Give your body an abundance of what it needs to be well (nutrition, movement, thought/rest/social) and remove toxins. There are no shortcuts in that respect. If you choose to add surgery....chemo....or radiation to that to treat the specific process then so be it (and this may be quite necessary), but recognize that the intervention is the adjunct therapy. Treating health is primary.
    Sorry but I call BS. My oncologist works for an HMO. He gets the same salary if I live or die. He is not selling anything. He is advising me to do what he honestly thinks is best for my health because he actually cares. What a concept. The doctor bashing around here gets really old. These people are f@cking heroes! They should be saluted for the hard (very hard) work that they do. They save people's lives day in and day out.

Insufficient iodine can be a problem. But people self diagnosing as being deficient in iodine because someone who wanted to sell them books about iodine and iodine supplements said so is a bigger problem because mega doses of iodine when you don't need them will trash your thyroid.

Total agreement about treating health. It is the best way to prevent a cancer from happening. I'm all in favor of that. But once you have a cancer you do have to treat the illness, like it or not. No amount of pool disinfectant, iodine, or coffee enemas is going to make that just go away.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post

Woops responded to a spam bot didn't I?....ah well I stand by it.
    Ha! Lately it seems all the spambots have been quoting me, it's a really weird experience to see your own words copied by someone else and out of context.

I will try the freezing bone broth strategy - I was a little worried about how she'd be able to drink it if she can't tolerate hot liquids, but the freezing strategy just might be the trick.

And paleobird, I would have no problem trying to offer her the anti-nausea medicine you suggested, but if her throat/mouth is burning from the chemo, I'd imagine the smoke would be problematic...maybe I can sneak in some magic cookies!

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post

Do you believe Dr. Kruse ? ?
    No. Lots of people even including former supporters have called him out on his bullshit.

That high dose iodine is dangerous stuff that can have serious long term health consequences. It's completely irresponsible to be promoting that kind of stuff online to gullible easily-influenced newbies. Online testimonials mean next to nothing. There's been supplements that turned out to be complete utter snake oil yet have thousands of positive 5 star reviews written by people who have claimed they derived all sorts of miracles and benefits from their usage.

Survivor is offline Junior Member
    One thing to keep in mind is that your taste can totally change during cancer. I have just finished a year of surgeries, chemo, radiation, etc. Cancer sucks. Cancer treatments suck. The alternative to treating cancer sucks even worse.

For me, water was about the worst thing I could put in my mouth after treatment. I drank a lot of cold herbal teas and even flavored water. It's super important not to get dehydrated.

Fruit was torture as well. All of it tasted rotten to me, and the acid irritated my mouth. I did eat veggies during this time, but not a ton of them.

The only thing I wanted when I would crawl out of the chemo hole was red meat. Lots and lots of red meat. I was so very anemic, but never needed a transfusion. I think this is because I listened to my body and ate as much meat as I craved.

I also drank Kefir to help with the gut problems. I was on 4 different anti-nausea meds, but that only helped so much. Plus with most chemo, you will experience "output" issues. Keep some milk of magnesia on hand.

Your mom may be totally different. I think if she listens to her body, she'll know what she needs. It may even be non primal. Once she gets thru chemo, then you can concentrate on making sure she is getting nutrient dense foods to rebuild what chemo tore down. I ate a ton of refined, horrible carbs during this time. It's how I was able to get through it. And now, I'm primal and healing. She'll survive chemo. Then she can work on the thrive part :-)

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I think butter & coconut are especially healing foods- upwards of 8 tablespoons a day would not be too much probably. If your mom can tolerate dairy it's a good source of protein and minerals- protein is critical.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    No. Lots of people even including former supporters have called him out on his bullshit.

That high dose iodine is dangerous stuff that can have serious long term health consequences. It's completely irresponsible to be promoting that kind of stuff online to gullible easily-influenced newbies. Online testimonials mean next to nothing. There's been supplements that turned out to be complete utter snake oil yet have thousands of positive 5 star reviews written by people who have claimed they derived all sorts of miracles and benefits from their usage.
    Nice to know that there is someone who is not a Kruse lemming on this board.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast