Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My mom has cancer...have nutrition suggestions for recovery? page 2

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    My mom just got diagnosed with a form of skin cancer that supposedly responds very well to chemo radiation, so that's the route she decided to go. I'm going to stay with her during the last 3 weeks of her treatment, which is when it will probably be the worst. Honestly, as a recovering alcoholic and smoker, I'm a little surprised that she didn't develop something worse.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions or resources they can point me toward to figure out the best way to rebuild her immune system afterward, as well as some recipe ideas for things that will be easy for her to consume when she's got a burning throat (I'm thinking cold/liquids) and nauseous, and generally feeling crappy. Her diet overall is pretty decent, and she's very open-minded when it comes to trying new foods/things in general.
    Make sure she is eating and drinking foods that will make her more alkiline. Apple cidar vinegar, lemon, baking soda (pinch in her water), potassium, magnesium, calcium, fruits and veggies are all things to help make her more alkiline. Coconut water is very alkiline with tons of magnesium and potassium. She also should be taking some form of iodine. Putting iodine on the actual skin lesion will help it clear up as well. Read a book called "Cancer is a Fungus." It's very interesting. Primal nutrition is a very good place to start. Lots of sea food, green veggies, berries, etc....I would go a little lighter on the red meats since they have an acidic effect on the body but as long as she is eating tons of alkiline foods it should be ok once in a while.

Annana is online now Senior Member
    Apparently kefir is meant to be great for cancer, and I read in a few different places that it could even help shrink them. I don't know how true it is, but I'm sure it'd be well worth a try. It's also great for overall health. I would also think that cutting out sigar would help as I think cancer feeds on sugar.

I hope she makes a fast recovery.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    My mom just got diagnosed with a form of skin cancer that supposedly responds very well to chemo radiation, so that's the route she decided to go. I'm going to stay with her during the last 3 weeks of her treatment, which is when it will probably be the worst. Honestly, as a recovering alcoholic and smoker, I'm a little surprised that she didn't develop something worse.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions or resources they can point me toward to figure out the best way to rebuild her immune system afterward, as well as some recipe ideas for things that will be easy for her to consume when she's got a burning throat (I'm thinking cold/liquids) and nauseous, and generally feeling crappy. Her diet overall is pretty decent, and she's very open-minded when it comes to trying new foods/things in general.
    Sorry to read that.

Paleobird Guest
    Cancer is not a fungus

My goodness the level of medical mis-information out there is astounding. As a cancer survivor myself, my heart goes out to your mom.

I second the bone broth and bone marrow ideas but more than anything, I want to impress upon you that there is a miracle cure for cancer but you won't find it on any website. What you will find there is snake oil for sale. The miracle is at your mom's oncologist's office. Real doctors curing real cancers all the time.

I wish both of you well.

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to hear about that. Well, just like everybody else, she needs to change her view toward food and eating. Eating is an opportunity to nourish your body. It's purpose is not to satisfy your taste buds. You can do that too, but it should never be at the expense of nutrients. That's the real issue with grains. They are relatively calorie rich and nutrient poor. She is going to need all the nutrients she can get to allow her body to defend itself from the cancer and the chemo. Good luck.

doghug is offline Member
    Im very sorry to hear that. Wish you both the best of luck
    " If you truly love nature you will find beauty everywhere"

- Vincent Van Gogh

Primal Since January 2011

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbalch View Post
    Sorry to hear about that. Well, just like everybody else, she needs to change her view toward food and eating. Eating is an opportunity to nourish your body. It's purpose is not to satisfy your taste buds. You can do that too, but it should never be at the expense of nutrients. That's the real issue with grains. They are relatively calorie rich and nutrient poor. She is going to need all the nutrients she can get to allow her body to defend itself from the cancer and the chemo. Good luck.
    I'm sure you had good intentions, but I'm not sure why you think she eats to satisfy her taste buds or even eats grains. In fact, she eats almost no grains or crap food at all - she gets her eggs and veggies from a local farmer, as well as raw milk that she makes her own yogurt from. She eats sardines, and takes a spoon of flaxseed oil (granted, cod liver oil would be better, I'll get her there) because she noticed that it's helped her to feel better. I even mentioned in my opening post that she eats relatively well.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure you had good intentions, but I'm not sure why you think she eats to satisfy her taste buds or even eats grains. In fact, she eats almost no grains or crap food at all - she gets her eggs and veggies from a local farmer, as well as raw milk that she makes her own yogurt from. She eats sardines, and takes a spoon of flaxseed oil (granted, cod liver oil would be better, I'll get her there) because she noticed that it's helped her to feel better. I even mentioned in my opening post that she eats relatively well.
    Well in his defense...even a good bit of Primal folk misrepresent what is "relatively well". So without a breakdown (which you have now given), it would be hard to give any specific advice....

IMO ketogenic diets have the best record in these cases and if it was me or one of my loved ones I'd be loading up on the coconut oil and nixing the carbs completely in the long run. I know the clinical trials that show regression are only in brain tumors, but we do have evidence that cancer thrives and grows on carbs.

And anything that improves her metabollic health (lowers fasting glucose or A1c) also relates to better outcomes in dealing with disease states.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    It can be very hard to predict what a person will feel like eating when they are nauseous and feeling crappy. The most popular food item when I was a hospice volunteer for the nauseous patients was a very runny ice cream shake and french fries. But it can change all the time.

So you may not be able to prepare too well until you know what sounds tolerable to her. I would make and freeze bone stocks for soup, and primal iced cream - very lightly sweetened. White rice and potatoes are popular with people who feel crappy - so cook them in homemade broth if you can to up the nutrients and add sea salt and a touch a pastured butter if she can tolerate it. Fresh fruit that is cold and cut into bite size pieces is also appetizing to some people.

One other point. Cancer patients can sometimes feel judged and pressured about everything they eat and can be overwhelmed by a large plate of smelly food. Very small plates with a single snack size serving of one or two foods that are simply offered with no pressure at all to eat seem to help some people. Just a bit or two of cold watermelon or some grapes is sometimes enough to stimulate an appetite that would have been shut off if you put a whole plate a burger down in front of someone.

Oh yeah - there is a great anti-nausea drug called Zofran. If they give her predisone with her chemo she may want to eat like a horse.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Cancer is not a fungus

My goodness the level of medical mis-information out there is astounding. As a cancer survivor myself, my heart goes out to your mom.

I second the bone broth and bone marrow ideas but more than anything, I want to impress upon you that there is a miracle cure for cancer but you won't find it on any website. What you will find there is snake oil for sale. The miracle is at your mom's oncologist's office. Real doctors curing real cancers all the time.

I wish both of you well.
    As to this I have no idea why your survival with tradition treatment (great!) invalidates the survival of others through nontraditional treatment (which has plenty of testimonials also). Don't feel threatened. Both are looking to save lives in my view. Which you pick is more a matter of your own philosophy and comfort along with your research and ability to process/comfort with your own knowledge. Don't let anyone tell you one trumps the other. Do your own research.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast