Thread: Calcium page

GeneralOJB is offline Junior Member

Calcium

Primal Fuel
    I'm 15 from England, been following this diet for about 6 months ish now, and have recently become more dedicated. The primal blueprint diet pretty much describes me although I choose not to eat dairy because I see no point in going to the effort to get raw/unpasteurised dairy, since I don't even care for it anyway. Plus it is really for baby cows, Grok would have had next to none of it, and it contains all sorts of hormones and chemicals I probably don't want.

Anyway, now my mother and the dietitian I've been dragged to are complaining that I won't be getting enough calcium so I NEED TO BE HAVING DAIRY. My bullshit detector instantly went off as the cows must obviously be getting calcium from the plants they eat, so I found out calcium was present in kale/spinach/broccoli etc, which I eat every day. But then apparently I won't be getting enough from this! So how much greens(or other non-dairy foods) do I need to eat every day to get my RDA(1000mg?) of calcium?

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Hmm.. eat sardines with bones... and bone broth. See this page about bone broth and calcium/other important minerals:
    Cooking with Bones | Mark's Daily Apple

Quote:"...bone stock might be one of the best sources of calcium around, especially for those who avoid dairy and donít eat enough leafy greens".
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I didn't drink milk for years, have found I tolerate it just fine & cheese also. Yogurt and kefir seem to cause trouble ie inflammation but if I could go back in time I would not let one single day go by without a glass of milk.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    I find that when I slow/pressure cook meat with bones in it, the bones become soft around the edges/joints. I eat that if I'm having a craving.

Too much calcium(bone included) can make you constipated - so don't go hog wild on it.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralOJB View Post
    I'm 15 from England, been following this diet for about 6 months ish now, and have recently become more dedicated. The primal blueprint diet pretty much describes me although I choose not to eat dairy because I see no point in going to the effort to get raw/unpasteurised dairy, since I don't even care for it anyway. Plus it is really for baby cows, Grok would have had next to none of it, and it contains all sorts of hormones and chemicals I probably don't want.

Anyway, now my mother and the dietitian I've been dragged to are complaining that I won't be getting enough calcium so I NEED TO BE HAVING DAIRY. My bullshit detector instantly went off as the cows must obviously be getting calcium from the plants they eat, so I found out calcium was present in kale/spinach/broccoli etc, which I eat every day. But then apparently I won't be getting enough from this! So how much greens(or other non-dairy foods) do I need to eat every day to get my RDA(1000mg?) of calcium?
    Ron Rosedale – Healthy Bones | Me and My Diabetes

peril is offline Senior Member
    It is hard to get too little calcium. OTOH it is easy to get too little D3 and Mg so your metabolism misuses that Ca
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine