Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginning Body By Science Protocol page

Beginning Body By Science Protocol

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I recently read Body By Science and I decided to change my regime to the BBS protocol. I don't have access to Nautilus machines as I prefer to work out in my own garage, using body weight as far as possible.

This being the case I used the following exercises:

Goblet squats with 30Kg weight vest plus 10 Kg dumbell.
    Pushups, again with vest
    "Body row" exercise using suspension trainer (essentially a pull up but less weight than entire body)
    I also did hanging leg raises.

all were done to failure, executed slowly, one set, and this set took circa 2 or 3 minutes.

I'm posting this because I don't feel enough pain today (I worked out yesterday). I'd be expecting to feel at least a bit sore. I should add though that I already work out a couple of times a week.

My concern is that if I dont feel like if I have torn the arse out of it I won't trigger the adaptation response. Is this the case?

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    First off, BBS isn't some supplemental program that you add to your already a "couple times a week" program. Done properly this would very quickly lead to gross over training! BBS should be the foundation of your fitness program.

Secondly, you need to at least use weights. Basic compound movements. Pick 3-5 of them and train to complete failure. 2-3 minutes is way too long for a set. What happens is that the slow twitch muscles start recovering before the set is done because the resistance is too low. Your time under load (TUL) should be more in the 50 to 90 seconds range whereby you'd hit failure in that range. It should be damned hard to get to that TUL and take everything you've got to get there. Your mind should be screaming for you to quit! This is a brutal protocol if done properly!! Dial that in and it's one workout every 5-7 days to start. As you become stronger and learn to train more intensely, you'll need to train even less or progress will come to a halt.

Cool. Yes BBS is now the only thing I am doing. I'll take your comments on board, thanks.

McChunky is offline Member
    I recently started the BBS workout and I'm having hard time getting to failure quick enough on some of the exercises. I don't go to a gym but we own a Total Gym so I've been trying to use that. However, it just uses your own body weight as resistance so it's not enough resistance on some of the Big 5 (the leg press for example.)

Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is wearing weight vest of some sort on the ones I need more resistance.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    You could consult with js290, he will definitely be happy to answer any BBS questions (or post a link).
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    You could consult with js290, he will definitely be happy to answer any BBS questions (or post a link).
    hahahahah, fuck yes.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanCoder View Post
    I recently read Body By Science and I decided to change my regime to the BBS protocol. I don't have access to Nautilus machines as I prefer to work out in my own garage, using body weight as far as possible.

This being the case I used the following exercises:

Goblet squats with 30Kg weight vest plus 10 Kg dumbell.
    Pushups, again with vest
    "Body row" exercise using suspension trainer (essentially a pull up but less weight than entire body)
    I also did hanging leg raises.

all were done to failure, executed slowly, one set, and this set took circa 2 or 3 minutes.

I'm posting this because I don't feel enough pain today (I worked out yesterday). I'd be expecting to feel at least a bit sore. I should add though that I already work out a couple of times a week.

My concern is that if I dont feel like if I have torn the arse out of it I won't trigger the adaptation response. Is this the case?
    Is soreness necessarily a sign of progress?

I would take soreness as a sign that you had taken the muscles beyond what they are used to. Am I wrong? It's like, if there's no hurt, there's no progress. I'm sure there's a pithy bumper sticker in there somewhere.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanCoder View Post
    I would take soreness as a sign that you had taken the muscles beyond what they are used to. Am I wrong? It's like, if there's no hurt, there's no progress. I'm sure there's a pithy bumper sticker in there somewhere.
    Keep a workout chart. Track weight and time under load. If you have a heart rate monitor, track HR as well just so you can see how hard you're working. HR is more of a "novelty" so you can compare against other physical activity that you do. In and of itself, it may not necessarily be that useful.

Coolio. Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast