Thread: Barefoot Newbie Questions.... page

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member

Barefoot Newbie Questions....

I recently started to get interested in being barefoot. Besides for the fact that it just seems more natural for obvious reasons, I also am interested in it because of my love for the outdoors. I've always been a outdoors person, but I've recently started walking/hiking on some mountain biking type trails. I don't do much running(right now, about once a week for 30 minutes on concrete), but if I got barefoot shoes then I could see myself wanting to run more. I've read some reviews of the VFF KSO's, and so far that is the shoe I am looking at getting. Mostly because it seems to have "overall" type benefits. I won't be using them in extreme climates, I won't be running for hours upon hours daily, and I also won't be using them to rock climb or anything else extreme. Mostly I will just be walking on trails, sand, grass, and riding my bike.

So.... I guess I'm wondering how do I know which shoe is right for me? VFF makes a bunch of models...and I'm pretty confused just by looking at all of them. I think I might get the KSO's because they seem to have more coverage, but what do you guys think? Are there other manufacturers besides VFF that make even better shoes? Should I order online or buy some in a store? Also... do VFF feel "weird"?(I read in one review that the guy did not like them at all because they felt too strange for him...)

Sorry about all the noob questions... but if anyone can over any advice, it'll be advice well taken! thanks!

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa92 View Post
    I recently started to get interested in being barefoot. Besides for the fact that it just seems more natural for obvious reasons, I also am interested in it because of my love for the outdoors. I've always been a outdoors person, but I've recently started walking/hiking on some mountain biking type trails. I don't do much running(right now, about once a week for 30 minutes on concrete), but if I got barefoot shoes then I could see myself wanting to run more. I've read some reviews of the VFF KSO's, and so far that is the shoe I am looking at getting. Mostly because it seems to have "overall" type benefits. I won't be using them in extreme climates, I won't be running for hours upon hours daily, and I also won't be using them to rock climb or anything else extreme. Mostly I will just be walking on trails, sand, grass, and riding my bike.

So.... I guess I'm wondering how do I know which shoe is right for me? VFF makes a bunch of models...and I'm pretty confused just by looking at all of them. I think I might get the KSO's because they seem to have more coverage, but what do you guys think? Are there other manufacturers besides VFF that make even better shoes? Should I order online or buy some in a store? Also... do VFF feel "weird"?(I read in one review that the guy did not like them at all because they felt too strange for him...)

Sorry about all the noob questions... but if anyone can over any advice, it'll be advice well taken! thanks!
    I definitely recommend going in to try the different pairs because they fit differently. I love my KomodoSport LS Vibram FiveFingers - KOMODOSPORT LS . I also have Vibram FiveFingers - SPEED, but I prefer the other pair. They are good for overall. Good grips and light enough to go out on hikes. They take a bit of getting used to, but I am NEVER going to wear "normal" running shoes again!!!!!!

Only problem I had with my VFF's was my damn pinky toes. And this is from an autistic. It feels fairly natural but I still prefer actual barefoot. Makes my get nice and soft and ALOT less sensitive to touch. As for the kind,I got kso's add my first pair, solid for walking.terrible in the snow. Bit iffy on gravel (beating in mind my sensitivity to touch is borderline extra sensory) all in all a solid pair, only problem I have now with them is the seam along the inside of my big toe had ripped twice from the rubber/material connecting it. But that's just me.(no shoes live more than 3 months on my feet)

Metric is offline Senior Member
    I also had to fit the shoe to my baby toe. It's very important to go in an fit them to your foot vs just ordering only. IMO!

Agreed on having it fitted. Just don't walk our of the store wearing them. The first little while you'd swear you were bare footed and mask security was gonna nab you lol

Thanks for the advice everyone! I went into the store to try on the VFF's. They did not have the KSO, but I did try on the Bikila and Treksport. I didn't like the Bikila because they felt too "stiff" for me. But I did like the Treksport, and I could see myself really enjoying these shoes! I guess my question is...is the Treksport an "all around" type of shoe? What is the difference between the KSO and Treksport? I'll be doing walking, a bit of running(once a weekish), hiking, bike riding, and general things like that. Any further advice is appreciated!

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    I have the treksport and love them, they are my hiking and walking shoes. I own a pair of classics too and they are my everyday shoe...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well...I finally got my first VFF! I got the Treksport and I really enjoy them! Thanks for the advice everyone!