Hi all,

I'm just starting my second month of eating (and moving) primally. After the transition period of the first few weeks (getting rid of carb cravings, etc.), I am enjoying VLCD eating more and more. I am totally amazed at the fact that I am not hungry all the time. I used to eat 5-6 small meals a day, and still get constantly hungry (due to calorie deficit despite the number of meals... around 1600-1700/day net).

Now I eat once or twice a day with occasional IF thrown in. It took a while for me to learn to listen to my body (in the right sense), and stop eating when I am no longer hungry, instead of polishing the plate because it is "the right thing to do". I eat if I feel like it, and IF if I feel like it.

However, therein lies the problem... I am 6'2" and weight around 190 pounds. On days when I eat only one meal, my calorie intake for the day tends to hover around 500-700 cals. On two meal days it is around 1100-1200 cals. Even if I have a blow-out day with wine, chocolate and three meals, I am barely over 2000 cals. In other words, my overall calories do not come even close to providing a calorie balance. However, I don't starve... heck, I'm not even hungry, and when I am, I eat.

Having said that, this way of eating has only happened spontaneously over the last two weeks. The first two weeks of primal eating, I tended to stuff myself (at around 1900+ cal/day), but I did not lose any weight. For the past week, the fat is MELTING off, so I figure my fat metabolism has kicked in, and I derive majority of my energy needs from my (still) substantial wobbly deposits.

I would love some comments or experiences other people have. I am a bit concerned about maintaining such low cal intake, but having said that, I am satisfied, not hungry and feel great...

Cheers,
Markus