Thread: Primals in New Orleans? page

Fabbecky is offline Senior Member

Primals in New Orleans?

Primal Fuel
    hey - moving to NOLA next week and in search of possible people to meet, any groups or shopping tips or fresh/farmers markets... Have only visited briefly once, so if any locals are around and have the goods...
    Quote Originally Posted by L8F View Post
    ... I drank the fermented koolaid, and am totally on board...

I'm alergic to carbs - they make me break out in fat!

AnnCap is offline Junior Member
    Hey, I'm right outside of NOLA in Metairie.

I have not been able to find much in the way of paleo friendly shopping with the exception of Whole Foods. There is a little farmer's market in Hollygrove-but I have never been because it is a REALLY dangerous area.

There are also smaller markets held once or twice a week around the city.

Where in NOLA are you moving? If you are closer to the quarter I am sure there are more options.

Also make sure to check out some of the restaurants down Magazine street. There are some great places to grab a casual dinner and great bars to get a drink afterwards. One of my favorites is St. Joe's. The have the best blueberry mojito in the city.

I will be teaching at a school just off Magazine, and for now living in an apartment in the Calhoun / Fountainbleu area. Not far from the quarter, but more in the Tulane / Irish Channel / Garden District area. I am really excited. I was a little afraid Whole Foods would be my only choice, but if that's what it comes too... one of the things I will miss most when I move is my excellent home town super market - Wegmans - that is like a Whole Foods/Trader Joes/Walmart Neighborhood Market all rolled into one, but BETTER

I will be sure to check out St. Joe's, although I am not a big drinker. Part of my goal with this move is to open myself up more and go out of my way to meet people and make friends. It will be a few weeks/months before my husband and boys are able to come down, so... I will be living temporarily with some Graduate students from Tulane and I am hoping they will be able to help me at least get out and about in the city.

AnnCap is offline Junior Member
    Crescent City Farmers Market - Home

Here is a farmers market held on Magazine once a week. They hold it in other parts of the city on other days as well. I've never been, but it is worth checking out. There is also a Whole Foods on Magazine.

If you are living with Tulane grad students I am certain they will show you a good time. From my experience Tulane kids can really party hard.

My boyfriend and I were talking about trying to get a paleo group together and meet once a month. Our idea was a pot luck kind of thing where everyone in the group brings a dish. We gave up on the idea since most people here would never consider living without bread. People here love their poy-boys (one of the things I miss the most) and cooking with a roux.

Maybe we can talk more people into moving down here!

Get in touch when you move down here.

I love that plan

cajungrokgirl is offline Junior Member
    I'm not sure if you guys are still in NOLA but we have a great Facebook going. Look us up, NOLA Paleo. The link is below:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/118536875009280/

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The Saturday market on Magazine is good; also, the Tuesday market uptown. I haven't tried the Thursday market because it's the furthest away from me in the LGD. The new Rouses (or maybe all of them) on Baronne is carrying duck and pork products from Chappapeela Farms | coolest little duck farm in the south with the prettiest pigs around. And at the very least, Organic Valley products can be found at Rouses, Whole Foods, and Breaux Mart.

It's a start, but I still order a bunch of stuff online - including coffee, which even if Congress passes its crappy sales tax law on online sales will still save me 20% over local prices. Costco will open in late summer or early fall, so keep the faith.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.