Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for cooking a strip steak? page

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

Suggestions for cooking a strip steak?

Primal Fuel
    I have a lovely strip steak (grass fed) that I want to cook tomorrow -- but I have no idea what to do with it. Before TPB I basically never cooked. Does anyone have any suggestions for a novice? Many thanks in advance...

Troglodyte is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    I have a lovely strip steak (grass fed) that I want to cook tomorrow -- but I have no idea what to do with it. Before TPB I basically never cooked. Does anyone have any suggestions for a novice? Many thanks in advance...
    I always find strip steaks the best grilled; however, you can crock them or broil them and they will do.
    Τρωγλοδῦται

Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    I always find strip steaks the best grilled; however, you can crock them or broil them and they will do.
    Thanks -- if I were to broil it...how long on each side? Would I have to then cook it at a lower temp to ensure that the inside is cooked all the way through? (I really am a novice at this!)

MrsJenx is offline Junior Member
    Jackie - I've had hit and miss experience with cooking my own steaks. So far this is what has worked for me -
    1 - Marinade. I usually go simple, with 1/4 c. of vinegar (whatever suits your taste, right now for summer grilling I'm using white wine vinegar), 1/4 c. of soy sauce or whatever that gluten free soy sauce is I forget what it's called, and 1/4 c. of worchestershire sauce. Seasoning to taste (I usually like just pepper and garlic). Marinade for at least a half hour before you cook. I usually like to rub a little sea salt into the steak right before I cook.
    2 - For us, grilling has been best for steaks, but if you are going to cook it in the house, this is what I suggest. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In an oven safe skillet or cast iron pan, lightly sear the steak on both sides on high heat, no more than a minute or two each side. Then take the whole pan and stick in in the oven for a few more minutes to sort of roast the middle. We like ours kind of pink still in the middle, so the timing will depend on how thick the steak is and how rare you like it.
    Good luck!

SMITHR is offline Junior Member
    I’ve used a combination of outdoor grilling and using a pan, with good results.

- Season the steak and/or marinate to your preference. I use pepper, garlic, some salt. Sometimes I marinate the steak, sometimes I don’t.

- Get the grill hot

- In a cat iron pan, melt a bunch of butter. Add fresh garlic and pepper.

- Throw the steak on the grill, sear both sides for 1-2 minutes.

- Put the steak into the cast iron pan, cover it, and put it on the grill. Check the temp of the steak. When it gets to around 115-120 deg F, remove it and flame it up on the grill to completion. I pull the steak off when it’s around 130 deg F, I like my steaks rare to medium rare.

- Let the steak rest for 5-10 minutes before serving

Turns out pretty good this way, although just straight grilling with some seasoning is fine too. I generally don’t cook steak in the house, even during the Chicago winter. Something about cooking meat outside over fire that makes it very enjoyable.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMITHR View Post
    I’ve used a combination of outdoor grilling and using a pan, with good results.

- Season the steak and/or marinate to your preference. I use pepper, garlic, some salt. Sometimes I marinate the steak, sometimes I don’t.

- Get the grill hot

- In a cat iron pan, melt a bunch of butter. Add fresh garlic and pepper.

- Throw the steak on the grill, sear both sides for 1-2 minutes.

- Put the steak into the cast iron pan, cover it, and put it on the grill. Check the temp of the steak. When it gets to around 115-120 deg F, remove it and flame it up on the grill to completion. I pull the steak off when it’s around 130 deg F, I like my steaks rare to medium rare.

- Let the steak rest for 5-10 minutes before serving

Turns out pretty good this way, although just straight grilling with some seasoning is fine too. I generally don’t cook steak in the house, even during the Chicago winter. Something about cooking meat outside over fire that makes it very enjoyable.
    This, plus let a tbsp of butter melt over it while its resting.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Minimize.

Season generously with salt and pepper. Others may like marinades or fnacy rubs, but I want the steak goodness to shine through. Allow the meat to come to room temperature for about an hour: this ensures there are no cold/raw spots in the middle. This will also allow the meat to meld with the salt and pepper.

Indoor cooking: Cast iron pan, bring to medium-high. Just before dropping the steak, add a very small amount of bacon fat, tallow, or olive oil. Let the steak cook untouched 3-4 minutes, then flip. It should have some nice sear to it, and should be able to be lifted without sticking. Cook 3-4 minutes again. Remove, cover with foil for 5-10 minutes (so you don't lose all the juices), then serve.

Charcoal cooking: Get your coals medium-hot, follow instructions above, sans oil or fat. If you like, halfway through the cooking time on each side you can rotate the steak 45 degrees to get cross-hatch grill marks.

This will yield medium-rare. The more you cook, the better you will be able to tell by touch how well done your meat is. NY strips are one of my favorite steaks. When the fat begins to soften up it's just delicious.

Thanks so much, everyone!

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    FW, I'm pretty sure I got my steak technique from you a while back and converted to the burger technique I recently laid out on my journal =P
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    FW, I'm pretty sure I got my steak technique from you a while back and converted to the burger technique I recently laid out on my journal =P
    I'm the Johnny Appleseed of beef!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast