Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for cooking a strip steak? page 2

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Minimize.

Season generously with salt and pepper. Others may like marinades or fnacy rubs, but I want the steak goodness to shine through. Allow the meat to come to room temperature for about an hour: this ensures there are no cold/raw spots in the middle. This will also allow the meat to meld with the salt and pepper.

Indoor cooking: Cast iron pan, bring to medium-high. Just before dropping the steak, add a very small amount of bacon fat, tallow, or olive oil. Let the steak cook untouched 3-4 minutes, then flip. It should have some nice sear to it, and should be able to be lifted without sticking. Cook 3-4 minutes again. Remove, cover with foil for 5-10 minutes (so you don't lose all the juices), then serve.

Charcoal cooking: Get your coals medium-hot, follow instructions above, sans oil or fat. If you like, halfway through the cooking time on each side you can rotate the steak 45 degrees to get cross-hatch grill marks.

This will yield medium-rare. The more you cook, the better you will be able to tell by touch how well done your meat is. NY strips are one of my favorite steaks. When the fat begins to soften up it's just delicious.
    ^This infinity. Ribeyes, NY Strips are not meant for marinades(IMHO)! All you need is love(Salt n Pepper) rare to medium rare and you're done...Nuff said!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have used this technique with amazing success. I use my oven's built in probe to guarantee perfection. I can get a fussy, non-paleo, "red meat = heart attacks" man to eat a whole pound of steak using this method.
    http://www.tinyurbankitchen.com/2009...ye-steaks.html
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

tcseacliff is offline Senior Member
    I do not have a grill for my steaks, but my cst iron pan does nicely, finish in under my broiler. usually season the meat with black pepper, sear each side 3-4 min each side, then finish under the broiler in the oven, I like rare-med. perfect! must haves. onions, preferably caramelized,mushrooms. enjoy! works with any good steak.

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    i do pretty well on cast iron .. but since the wife and I got 2 full strip loins we have since moved to the grill (not to mention my addiction to bbqing thats included full pork shoulders, beef roasts, ribs, brisket, etc lately)

but i would go 1 of 2 ways ...

1 - reverse sear method on the grill

2 (my favorite) - "caveman" style .. not a joke, a method of cooking where you put the steak directly on hardwood charcoal thats come up to temp .. 2-4 minutes each side depending on how you like it, and its FANTASTIC .. and no hardwood does not ash onto the meat, just a small piece may stick til you pull it off occasionally ... seriously, try this.. dont even need a grill ive done it on the sidewalk... YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12