Thread: Fatty or lean meat if not grassfed? page

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member

Fatty or lean meat if not grassfed?

Primal Fuel
    So far I've only really been able to get grassfed ground beef, mostly for financial reasons, whenever we eat steaks we can not get grassfed.

So I was reading on another thread about not eating fatty cuts of meat or marbled meat from grainfed animals because of the high Omega 6 content and whatnot, but what if that's all you can afford? It's a bit perplexing because I have been feeling so much more energy since upping my fat and protein, and I know how important it is to eat animal fats, but I also don't want to be eating the animal fats if they are really bad for me.

So, obviously grassfed is the best but if you can't afford it for all of your cuts, is it ok to eat fatty cuts of grain fed beef, or is it really bad and should be avoided completely?

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Buy the best you can afford and don't sweat it if its not perfect. To put it in perspective, grain fed grocery store steak is better than McNuggets. Or tofurkey.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    Buy the best you can afford and don't sweat it if its not perfect. To put it in perspective, grain fed grocery store steak is better than McNuggets. Or tofurkey.
    Well, I would venture to say most things are better than McNuggets, lol!!! I take Omega 3 religiously with every meal to try to get my ratios in better balance. I wish we could afford grassfed everything. That would be wonderful, but just not realistic right now. I just really need the fats. It makes me feel so much better, so now that I have discovered something that is working well for me, I don't want to have to give it up. But I also don't want to be eating tons of fatty meat if it's really bad for me either.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I rarely get grocery meat, but I always buy the good (fatty) stuff no matter what. Good taste and good energy are more important to me than the other imperfections on these rare occasions. If I was living on the stuff I'd just be sure to stick to ruminants and at least shoot for antibiotic and hormone free, but STILL getting the good fatty cuts and just throw in a bit of fish to even things out.

Ruminants?

NM, got it, lol!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by SegrestEllenl View Post
    To put it in perspective, grain fed grocery store steak is better than McNuggets.
    So basically what you are saying is, it's pretty bad.....