Thread: What do you guys think of my blood test results? page

rkd80 is offline Member

What do you guys think of my blood test results?

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to run cholesterol/glucose levels by you. My pcp is concerned about glucose levels and I want to call her and tell her there is nothing to worry about, but figured it might be a waste of time.

I am a bit concerned about my lack of HDL skills, but wanted to hear opinions first.

HDL: 53
    LDL: 104
    VLDL: 8
    TRI: 39 (It has been flagged as it is lower than acceptable range?)

GLUCOSE: 105
    HA1C: 4.7

Now regarding the glucose, us low carb people tend to become insulin resistance during that period and always seem to score high on the glucose, but I believe that A1C is a far better predictor of diabetic risk. Correct if wrong.

Thanks!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    You are correct on the A1C, and if you woulda increased your carb intake for a couple days prior to glucose test probably would been in the 80's assuming you have been VLC.

I would not be concerned about cholesterol levels or low trigs. Heck that your HA1C is bellow 5 is actually an excellent predictor itself of greatly reduced risk of cardiovascular disease and all cause mortality.

rkd80 is offline Member
    What is odd, is I am not that VLC - I eat a ton of berries (daily) and veggies (daily) and have sweet potatoes and sushi 3-4 times a week. I am on the lower end, but nothing crazy.

Is there such a thing as too low for trigs?

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Yes, my endo relies on the A1c much more than the fasting glucose--since it's your average level over 3 months. Anything lower than 5.0 is terrific.

I also question whether 'low' is a problem with trigs.

Those lab reports simply flag 'low' or 'high' automatically according to how they're programmed, and it can be silly at times. My own HDL is always between 90 and 110, which is flagged as 'high,' but all my doctors are jealous of my HDL level.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about the VLDL level, but the other levels are great. Low trigs, good HDL-LDL ratio, overall cholesterol level is neither excessively high nor low.

As others have said, glucose is a tad high, but that's a single data point, and your A1C is great.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkd80 View Post
    TRI: 39 (It has been flagged as it is lower than acceptable range?)
    At one point, my TRI was 38. My doc said that was from not eating grains and getting the bulk of my carbs from veggies and also some fruit. I wouldn't worry at all.

(And my HDL was about 121 at the time. Also flagged as high, and my previous doctor mentioned that to me as if it were a problem. Note the "previous" before "doctor." Amazing how some doctors are hardwired...)

rkd80 is offline Member
    Is there such thing as low Tris? Why exactly would we want our liver to spew fat cells into our blood stream? tris comes from processing alcohols/fructose (among other things), two things that creates toxic byproducts...one would think the lower the better.

How are you guys getting your HDL that high? I am not even close...

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkd80 View Post
    How are you guys getting your HDL that high? I am not even close...
    No idea. But my LDL is also insanely high (was 232), so there you go.

rkd80 is offline Member
    232? Did you have to hear a lecture from the PCP? What do you suppose is the explanation behind your high number...?