Thread: Eating Primal while being predominantly Native. page

Eating Primal while being predominantly Native.

Primal Fuel
    My background is hazy at best, but my genetic makeup seems to be 110% Algonquin. I've been mostly Primal since March 1st of this year, I've lost around 45lbs, I stand at 6'1 (Well, 5'10 because of a natural hunch that my mother claims is linked to my native heritage, constantly keeping low in the forest while hunting)and I currently weigh 293lbs. My upper body is, well, massively built. My lower half is about normal, bit thick on the upper/inner thigh area. My biggest place left to lose weight is on my stomach. I asked my doctor for assistance, he took one look at my chart and said you need to lose 100 lbs to have the acceptable BMI for your height. The problem I have with that is, I'm big boned, not some myth or anything like that, I'm very largely built(Even without the fat, I've lost all of it on my ribcage, it's just my abdomen that's got the major deposit left.) ANYWAY, on topic. I'm of Algonquin descent, I've noticed from a very young age that I could eat enough to feed a familly and never get full(A result of which lead to my massive influx of weight gain). As I got older, my body started sending meat cravings at me left right and center. (Still does today) I've adopted the paleo lifestyle to a T the first month, didn't have carb flu carb cravings or anything like that. But at the same time, I wasn't feeling satisfied, so I've suplemented the vegetables for more meat. So far it's been going great, eating less able to move more, getting a lot stronger, etc. I'm trying to incorporate a minimum of 1cup a day of veggies for the nutrients in them but I'm not sure if I'm shortchanging myself for the future. If it's working today, does that mean it'tl continue in the future? Also, as a bit of an aside, I seem to have become basically "Carb intolerant" unless it's fruits or veggies or nuts it makes me physically ill and isn't remotely satisfying to eat =\ Sorry if I rambled.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Makes sense that you would thrive on an ancestral diet. Many North American natives ("aboriginals" as we say in Canada) were primarily hunter-gathers up until only a couple hundred years ago, in some cases less than 100 years, or only a few generations ago.

Obesity, diabetes and heart disease are prevalent among aborinals in Canada. They simply have not adapted to 'market based' diets. There was a CBC documentary recently about this, and a remote West Coast community (mostly aboriginal) took part in a study where the volunteered to eat a diet that mimicked their ancestral diet. Take a look...its extremely paleo

My Big Fat Diet
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

I read about the study after watching the CBC Documentary 8th Fire. (Which I've also been writing a report regarding the Indian Act for my Psycho/Socio/Anthropology class.) It's mostly based on that that I thought to myself maybe I should alter the plan a little to better suit my heritage and see how it goes. I personally favor the "Aboriginal" title to what they named us not too long ago.(I'm also Canadian, though after doing some research on Native/Canadian relationships and the history, I'm less inclined to say "proudly Canadian")

My little sister is a type 1 diabetic with similar issues to me(But she's on a strict 160carb/day diet) and she's becoming insuline resistant. I told my mother she's like me(She could pass herself as being my daughter) and that she needs a complete dietary revamp or she'll just keep getting worse but it falls on deaf ears. Any suggestions on that front as well?(Should mention she's 7 going on 8 to my 22 going on 23.)

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    Embrace your inner Aboriginal. Read more here (it is a free pdf download) about a location farther west and how fellow Aborigines longed for bison tongues, offal and fat. Pemmican is a bit labor intensive for me but making beef jerky is easy so I just dip it in grass fed tallow I buy and have easy pemmican on hand.

Athabasca University Press - Imagining Head-Smashed-In

Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
    Embrace your inner Aboriginal. Read more here (it is a free pdf download) about a location farther west and how fellow Aborigines longed for bison tongues, offal and fat. Pemmican is a bit labor intensive for me but making beef jerky is easy so I just dip it in grass fed tallow I buy and have easy pemmican on hand.

Athabasca University Press - Imagining Head-Smashed-In
    I'll have to read that, it's interesting. I've been embracing my inner native-a few Weeks before going primal out of nowhere it's like he just woke up inside of me, mad as hell that I hadn't used the centuries of evolution bestowed upon me. I've always been surefooted, agile and strong. Just never made use of it. Since going primal I've been appeasing him slowly and I've been trying to live up to my handle and be a true concrete Indian. The one annoying thing is Ilove being barefoot, which isn't allowed in stores...and I'm very rough on shoes, no pair, even my awesome VFF.s have survived more than three months in my lifetime lol.
    So basically I should simply go with what feels right even though everywhere I turn says otherwise?(even sometimes here) Well, I'll keep on trigon and see how I feel by the end if the summer.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Concrete Indian View Post
    My background is hazy at best, but my genetic makeup seems to be 110% Algonquin. I've been mostly Primal since March 1st of this year, I've lost around 45lbs, I stand at 6'1 (Well, 5'10 because of a natural hunch that my mother claims is linked to my native heritage, constantly keeping low in the forest while hunting)and I currently weigh 293lbs. My upper body is, well, massively built. My lower half is about normal, bit thick on the upper/inner thigh area. My biggest place left to lose weight is on my stomach. I asked my doctor for assistance, he took one look at my chart and said you need to lose 100 lbs to have the acceptable BMI for your height. The problem I have with that is, I'm big boned, not some myth or anything like that, I'm very largely built(Even without the fat, I've lost all of it on my ribcage, it's just my abdomen that's got the major deposit left.) ANYWAY, on topic. I'm of Algonquin descent, I've noticed from a very young age that I could eat enough to feed a familly and never get full(A result of which lead to my massive influx of weight gain). As I got older, my body started sending meat cravings at me left right and center. (Still does today) I've adopted the paleo lifestyle to a T the first month, didn't have carb flu carb cravings or anything like that. But at the same time, I wasn't feeling satisfied, so I've suplemented the vegetables for more meat. So far it's been going great, eating less able to move more, getting a lot stronger, etc. I'm trying to incorporate a minimum of 1cup a day of veggies for the nutrients in them but I'm not sure if I'm shortchanging myself for the future. If it's working today, does that mean it'tl continue in the future? Also, as a bit of an aside, I seem to have become basically "Carb intolerant" unless it's fruits or veggies or nuts it makes me physically ill and isn't remotely satisfying to eat =\ Sorry if I rambled.
    Hello, there! I'm metis myself (Algonquin/French). I am also a big "meat" eater and anything other than veggies and fruits make me feel disgusting and sick. I also have a pretty big appetite, but I found that an increase in my fat was very helpful in feeling satisfied. Also, I saute my veggies in butter or other type of fat. I must say that Primal has definitely made me feel "at peace" for lack of a better term. It just feels right.

Also, I'm very rough on shoes too. Very expensive habit My VFF's are only a couple of weeks old and they are showing signs of wearing at the centre of the soles.

Also, since you are an Ontarian, check out our facebook group and join in if you'd like. https://www.facebook.com/groups/161012717363428/
    Last edited by Metric; 06-07-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey there! half of my family is predominantly Wyandotte (branched from Huron) tribe, while the other half is Cherokee and a mix of Celts. I got much grief for eating mostly meat, from my parents, for most of my life. I suffered as a carb-gobbling vegetarian and vegan. They are all diabetic- I'm not. It wasn't the veggies, it was the grains and SUGAR that caused the problems. Embrace the meat and veg!!