Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: T or F: Carbs least important at breakfast and dinner? page 2

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm a night-carber.

Early meals tend to be higher protein & fat. Carbs usually happen after mid-day, and are preferable at night or before bed. They make me sleepy.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent girl View Post
    I've read other places, including on Nora G's site/book that carbs late in the day can cause sugar levels to (?drop) in the middle of the night, causing awakenings. Does that have any credibility with anyone here willing to speak up?
    My night wakings have nothing to do with my evening carbs and everything to do with a bladder the size of a peanut.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think that many women find it works best to put the carbs at dinner or at least the 2nd half of the day. A high protein breakfast helps with leptin sensitivity and seems to make it easier not to snack and graze all day. Carbs later in the day help you sleep and help with insulin sensitivity. At least some women report these things.

This article I read today was pretty interesting.
    Paleo For Women | Carbohydrates for Fertility and Health
    True in my case as well and I am a woman!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    There was a study I linked to a while back and those that ate their carbs in the evening showed better weight loss and by avoiding carbs during the day found it easier to stick to the controlled calories they were on.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    All my carbs, are P.M. because I skip breakfast. But seem to be somewhat averaged out over lunch and dinner and sometimes a snack mid afternoon. If I have a mid-afternoon snack, that is the bulk of my carbs cuz it is usually greek yogurt w/banana. On the occasion that I have a sweet potato, it is a small amount at dinner time w/DH. Then I can see if I can afford it in my carb count at the end of the day. I dont eat after dinner.

If I were to have carbs for breakfast, I would be hungry in a couple of hours. I guess I should pay attention and experiment with few to none for lunch and see how it goes. I go to sleep just fine, but I awake to getting too hot but can usually go back to sleep.

I see more carbs in my future though, when watermelon and cantaloupe are ready in the garden. I am hoping Grok really liked both.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    There have been at least a couple studies that have suggested advantage towards biasing food/carbohydrate consumption toward later in the day with respect to body composition. While I'm not certain of the actual mechanism(insulin sensitivity may play a role), there seems to be at least a bit of evidence to back up the idea that a lighter(in terms of both carbs and overall size) breakfast and lunch combined with a heavier dinner have a slight advantage - and some might argue in favor of taking this a step further to actual IF.

For me, my carbs tend to be biased towards the evening, simply because on workout days(when my carb intake is heavier out of necessity), my workout is after work - typically somewhere between 6 and 8 PM, and my post-workout meal containing most of my carbs follows shortly thereafter.

secret agent girl is offline Senior Member
    Jackie..., Have you been screened for sleep apnea or other sleep disorders?
    Last edited by secret agent girl; 06-08-2012 at 04:27 AM.

Go-Pre is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Your body burns dietary fat before it burns stored body fat. If you are eating less carbs, you're filling the space with more fat so you just have more fat to burn through before you tap into stores. It doesn't matter if you eat fat or carbs in terms of weight loss, it comes down to the energy deficit. Eating 1,200 calories of carbs will take you out of "fat burning mode", but if that's all you eat all day you're going to burn more fat than if you ate 1,800 calories of butter and steak assuming similar protein intake.

Listen to your body and give it what it wants. If you're having a carb craving, your brain probably wants glucose. If you don't want carbs, don't eat them. I prefer to eat my carbier meal at my last meal of the day because carbs help you sleep. I'd rather have the bottom of the blood sugar curve fall around bedtime than while I'm working.
    Chaco-

I thought you just said in an earlier thread that you ate "too low" of calories and wrecked your metabolism and that you put on all the weight you lost when you went back to eating "normal". Isnt' the acknowledgement of a wrecked metabolism an acknowledgement of the flaw in an overly simple CICO approach?

-Go Pre

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    There was a study I linked to a while back and those that ate their carbs in the evening showed better weight loss and by avoiding carbs during the day found it easier to stick to the controlled calories they were on.
    Thanks for the head's up, I might look it up...I never believe study conclusions without reading the study and thinking about its design flaws.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I'd rather have the bottom of the blood sugar curve fall around bedtime than while I'm working.
    I believe the point is that a drop in blood sugar is accompanied with the release of stress hormones. Larger drop, larger release, and potentially greater incidence of delayed sleep and/or REM onset, and/or disrupted sleep.

That's my understanding of the reasoning, not my opinion.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast