Thread: planning a primal meal plan for life as a college student summer semester page

drnemer is offline Member

planning a primal meal plan for life as a college student summer semester

So i am living in a dorm for the next month in a half. I am 20 years old, 5'8 by the way and been lifting weights and working out for about a year now. I lift 4 days a week and cardio 3 times. I am trying to get more muscular and lose fat. I weight 159 now and want to add enough muscle to weigh about 163 with enough fat loss to see a six pack with a V shape torso. i don't want to lose muscle. PERIOD i want to grow muscle.

My dorm only has a small fridge that i share with my suitemates. I have no cooking appliances. I want to be completely primal and organic and the food served at the dining hall is only burgers, hot dogs and other typical college dining hall food, but much less diversity because its summer (also quality of food is much worse). i have no car and even if I did have one i would not have the ability to get groceries to cook, cause i have no appliances.

I am transitioning into primal so i still use a protein powder that is "not primal". I have ordered off Stevesoriginal.com the Strongsize primal kit of jerky. I eat that for lunch and dinner. I have the grass fed jerky which 0 carbs for snack. Also coconut milk, raw almonds, wheat free rolled oats. I plan to drink 2 liters of water a day and have 2 protein shakes. i eat one supreme protein bar (i know not primal, but all i got) every breakfast it is low carb

my calculations say that i need 2400 calories to gain weight, but i also lose 500 cals from working out so i must consume 3000 calories. 200 grams of protein. my carbs will be based on this diet, 152grams. sodium is 2400mg. fat would be 135 with 30 saturated fat. sugar is 66g. but in the end i only have 2080 calories, which is lower than 2400

Is this good enough? can you help me reach my lean gain goal? any non perishable primal food recommendations? is 2400 mg too much? Will this help me reach my goal or am I going about it all wrong? Can you help me make it optimal for my fitness goals.
    Last edited by drnemer; 06-07-2012 at 10:42 AM.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    A post like this might be better suited for bodybuilding.com.

Most people here are not really interested in counting macros meticulously. Also, you are going to have a really hard time eating primal if you don't have a kitchen to cook in. I think you should hold off on going primal and be a little more lenient with your diet and just focus on hitting your macros.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Sure. Rule number one....break the rules. Hide a hot plate or microwave in your dorm to cook with.

After that everything gets easier.

OK that aside, you can surely eat as primal as possible and you should! Don't "hold off" just cause your variety is limited or it is a bit more difficult. Eat fruits and vegetables with the burger meat and eggs at your cafeteria. Stock the fridge with hard boiled eggs, jerkey, coconut oil, nuts, and a bit of cheese. Use your protein powder as needed to hit your protein goals after all is said and done. Lift heavy. Rinse and repeat. You can easily hit those macros with this strategy
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-07-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    2400 aint gunna cut it. Try 3400. Go big carbs/protein on lifting days (Potatoes/White Rice). Low carb it on off days. Primal with no kitchen is gunna blow for 6 weeks... concentrate on getting the cleanest macros you can. Pick a goal too, drop fat or gain muscle. 6 weeks is a perfect time to make progress in 1 not both.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

drnemer is offline Member
    I am trying to do a lean gain. I am worried about the sodium mostly. Jerky is a good source. but it is not great in sodium I can't seem to find a way to get low carb and low sodium whilst doing some high protein. i could always eat like 2 and half cups of raw almonds a day instead of jerky, but the omega 6's might be a problem

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just another young guy obsessed with his own body numbers, probably thinking girls will be impressed when he flexes his six-pack.

Next.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.