Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My roommates are trying to kill me... with carbs. page

DashFire is offline Senior Member

Angry My roommates are trying to kill me... with carbs.

Primal Fuel
    So I'm in a rather unique living situation where 10 of us share a massive house. On the plus side we have a well equipped kitchen, there's usually lots of meat (often including organic/grass-fed) and frozen veggies, and we maintain a decent-sized garden (a rarity in the city), that's already producing fresh herbs and some greens. Plus we're all meat eaters and there's a lot of great cooks. But....

Everyone is very much on the S.A.D. and in the week I've gone primal (somewhat under the radar as "just taking a break from refined grains/sugars", because my roommates aren't exactly the most supportive people) it's felt like I'm living in a really SAD restaurant. From daily baking... berry pie, raspberry/coconut cake, magic bars, blueberry cheesecake, lemon tart to just "standard" cooking... pasta, more pasta, corn casserole, rice dish after rice dish, cheese bread, pigs in a blanket, etc. Not that it was all bad, some burgers and chicken and great pasta sauce in the mix.

With the kitchen table being the main social hub of the house, I'm seriously struggling to 1) not be insanely tempted, and consequently grumpy, and 2) not utterly segregate from community food life. Just a week into Primal and I'm already getting to the point where I'm barely in the kitchen except to cook (even eating in our dining room, which isn't totally weird, but not typical) and I'm turning down 95% of the stuff that they make.

After looking through many "visiting relatives" threads there were some helpful hints, but this is more-so a non-stop situation. Any thoughts on combatting carb temptation when it's unavoidable and living with roommates that aren't supportive.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    What is a "Magic Bar?" I want one!

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    What is a "Magic Bar?" I want one!
    magic%20cookie%20bar.jpg
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    In private, eat butter by the spoonful until you are not hungry for anything.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    wellllll, there's no way around this. you live with 10 young people. it's kind of inevitable... sorry.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Fix your meals ahead of time, the stuff you want to eat for dinner and such, and eat that with your roommates. As to refusing the temptation of all the bad foods-the pasta, the grains, the baked goods, ect-just remember what the bad foods have gotten you before; remember the bad things they led to whether that be weight gain, bloating, breakouts, whatever, and that'll pretty much make it so not worth it.

Also, just a reminder, carbs aren't bad-your body needs them to some extent. It's the sources of the carbs, like the baked, breaded, pasta stuff that are evil but not the carbs in general. Carbs from fruits, veggies, and other sources are fine.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    That would be so hard.. It's hard even without all the junk in your house, gotta be depressing at first to see all the sugary and bread-y things.. Good thing is you will lose most of the desire to eat grains and sugar after awhile. You'll have to tell them you're off sugar and grains, you want more energy and you feel like you've been eating too many carbs lately.

Keep hard boil eggs in the fridge, macadamia nuts in ziplocs in your pocket and purse, beef jerky if u like it, good salami slices from the deli, bacon, too, of course. Roast your favorite veggies, have some raw to grab from the fridge, grill up a load of chicken, organic strawberries in cream, org apples and green tea w/lime.. All of these will keep you satisfied and if something looks unbelievably delish, take one bite, savor the hell out of it before you swallow and decide that one bite was enough for you to taste it, compliment the cook and then drink some water, loads of filtered water.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    wellllll, there's no way around this. you live with 10 young people. it's kind of inevitable... sorry.
    We actually range in age from early 20's - late 50's, and from 4 different countries. I know, we're a motley crew. It's fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by trekfan View Post
    just remember what the bad foods have gotten you before... Also, just a reminder, carbs aren't bad-your body needs them to some extent. It's the sources of the carbs, like the baked, breaded, pasta stuff that are evil but not the carbs in general. Carbs from fruits, veggies, and other sources are fine.
    Definitely helpful reminders. I'm keeping an eye out for meats, fats and good carbs that I can share with them. Also, cooking for everyone is another route I'm trying to take. Though it's a challenge, when I'm still just trying to figure out how to feed myself Primal. Tonight I'm cooking 3 small, organic, grass fed hens, with sweet potatoes and some sauteed veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    Keep hard boil eggs in the fridge, macadamia nuts in ziplocs in your pocket and purse, beef jerky if u like it, good salami slices from the deli, bacon, too, of course. Roast your favorite veggies, have some raw to grab from the fridge, grill up a load of chicken, organic strawberries in cream, org apples and green tea w/lime.. All of these will keep you satisfied and if something looks unbelievably delish, take one bite, savor the hell out of it before you swallow and decide that one bite was enough for you to taste it, compliment the cook and then drink some water, loads of filtered water.
    Great advice, thanks. Not sure I'm at the "take one bite" point yet though. But I could see that as an option when I'm already feeling really full and wouldn't be likely to want more.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    DashFire - since you are on here, I know you have a computer handy, so here goes:

google the terms "SCD recipes"; "Specific Carbohydrate Diet recipes"; "flourless cake recipe" and go to a website called pecanbread.com.

I have one daughter who has been growing on a grain-free, legume-free, dairy-free, added-sugar-free (almost), clean diet for a whole host of serious issues for a little over 6 years now. Sounds like the Primal, doesn't it (but their focus is to heal ulcerative colitis / Crohn's disease)? I had to learn to cook for one ravenous kid without grains. Holy cow, that was a learning experience. But we are at much more peace now, and I did it by relearning to bake using nuts / nut butters / nut flours. The above website and googling will help you find easy recipes. Austria is one of the homes of flourless baking for cakes, and you might be able to find a special-occasion thing for your housemates (flourless hazelnut cake is worth walking a mile or two for).

Here is my top-secret recipe for a seven-minute almond bread made in the microwave, but you will need a blender with cajones:

Into a blender container, add:
    1/2 cup almonds (I have whole unblanched in the freezer)
    1/2 cup clean water, dribbled so there is a bit less than 1/2 cup (I have never bothered to measure this "less than 1/2cup" thing, I just like the texture better this way)
    pinch sea salt
    2 large eggs
    a squirt local honey
    a dash of cinnamon or apple pie spice if you want it (makes it smell delicious)
    Blend until smooth, creamy and batter-y.

Then add:
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    Blend just to distribute well.

Pour into a well-greased micro-safe shallow pan, but make sure the pan is double the height of the batter at least as the bread will rise as it cooks. Micro on high for 7 minutes 30 to 7 minutes 45 seconds. I have no special microwave, just a regular old Whirlpool and this is my time.

As soon as the microwave dings, take out the pan and invert onto a cooling rack. I use a ceramic dish, and consequently my bread sticks a little, but if I invert the whole thing (bread in pan and leave the upside-down pan on the rack), the bread will loosen itself just from the steam rising in a minute or two. The biggest point is that if you leave the bread in the pan too long, the steam will make your bread soggy on the underside.

I send it to school in a brown paper bag in her lunch container (because I make this fresh for her in the mornings, hers is still warm and steamy when it goes...). It keeps fairly well, even though it was meant to be cooked and eaten fresh. Once it is completely cool, you could Tupperware and fridge the thing for the next day. We never make sandwiches with it, just cut it into wedges and eat it with nut butter, butter (or, in her case, dairy-free margarine (I know you are Primal, but she is SCD and I am only 6 weeks into the Primal myself), or jam (not Primal, but tasty...). Been making this for 5 years now, and recipe has never failed me. The apple-pie-spice aroma will get you...

If this works for you, I have a cashew butter muffin recipe that I will share, just ask. I know what you are going through - I remember trying to eat veg at family Thanksgivings...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast