Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My roommates are trying to kill me... with carbs. page 4

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Belforte View Post
    I think The Baker is trying to break you. I used to bake and the need to have everyone eat and love my food was quite scary and your lifestyle challenges an activity that brings her comfort and self esteem. Loved the post and keep up the good work.
    Thanks. While I don't think she is consciously/intentionally trying to break me, baking is something that we used to bond over and share. We'd both frequently bake and always commenting on one another's stuff. She is certainly known for her baking prowess. So my rejection of it, I could see being an unwelcome change. Though personality wise, I'd say she is much more inclined to just dismiss me as on some "silly kick" than actually being personally offended or endeavoring to sabotage.

Quote Originally Posted by Luce View Post
    People doesn't always rejects changes/differences but things that alter routine feel pretty menacing for most, so primal starts are often seen as something "disturbing".
    ha, this sounds like Mr. CW. Anytime I throw out some primal wisdom that goes against conventional wisdom, I hit a wall and he pushes back. But in different ways we all hold fast to our beliefs and struggle with them being challenged, even when that challenge is simply someone else exercising their freedom to believe and subsequently act different.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    DF, maybe you can get at least some of your roomies be on your side? Explain the primal thing to them, tell them you need help to avoid the "bad" stuff, and maybe challenge them to find primal alternatives to the baking (almond flour, coconut flour, etc.)? "I'm really trying to stick to this plan, could you guys help me out?"... I've found that if you can get even just a couple people on your side, it helps a lot.

Back when I was only about 60% primal, I used to bake sweet things on occasion. Now that I'm 100% grain-free, I enjoy experimenting with alternatives to pies, cakes, cookies, etc. I've found an almond flour pancake recipe that even my non-primal hubby loves! (We smash fruit on top along with lots of butter!) Maybe your baking roomies would like to play around with different ways to bake.
    Just because we have so many people, and everyone has their own little dietary quirks, we take a rather hands off approach to this stuff. Though, in the past when we've had vegetarians in the house, we would make meat-free options available when cooking meaty meals, so that's perhaps an angle of approach. But I'm generally fine with stuff. My temptation isn't great.

Philosophically, I'm not much for primal alternatives to SAD baked foods. (Even when I was vegetarian, I didn't like the idea of faux meat). But, that said, I do want to explore some primal desserts, so when I finally get around to it, that will provide some point of connection.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    When a person has more than 100 pounds to lose, the people in their lives that aren't supportive of any effort are straight up assholes. That said, we are social creatures, and common courtesy precludes us telling people they are assholes.
    Haha, not in my house. We don't have much problem telling people when they're being assholes. But the situation is somewhat of my own making, as I went Primal under the radar with "just taking a break from grains and sugar" or "just trying to eat more real foods." So far it doesn't feel like anyone is being asshole-ish. If I find myself getting genuinely frustrated or overly tempted (rather than just moderately annoyed). I'd probably initiate a clearer conversation on things. But for now, I'm just focused on progressing and becoming a healthy sexy manbeast, then everyone will flock to me for advice. haha.

..and thanks CC. Though I've learned it's best to just ignore the trolls.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

jesssa is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DashFire View Post
    But for now, I'm just focused on progressing and becoming a healthy sexy manbeast, then everyone will flock to me for advice. haha.
    I like that "manbeast" is one word
    it does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live

at just the right time, we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    You, sir, are being a complete ass today. DashFire didn't say he was eating it all up - he was describing his home situation and succeeding in resisting it.
    I honestly didn't read the whole thread, the headline just pissed me off.
    Good job on resisting your carby house.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    You'll forgive me if I imagine you living situation as a lesbian cheerleader orgy. Just tell them the stuff you aren't eating gives you stomach aches.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    You'll forgive me if I imagine you living situation as a lesbian cheerleader orgy. Just tell them the stuff you aren't eating gives you stomach aches.
    Haha.. something like this....

I'm sure if your imagination were my reality, I'd be as confused as the guy on the bus. Your suggestion isn't far from the truth. Since going primal, I been almost totally symptom free from IBS.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234