Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My roommates are trying to kill me... with carbs. page 3

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    DashFire - re the AirBake cookie sheets - I forgot to mention that you put a thinner baking pan on the cookie sheet and put both in the oven. The cookie sheet adds extra insulation on the bottom, where nut batters tend to burn quickly.

And whenever, I have to hear how your motley house crew ended up living under the same roof! I am thinking university crowd... but it sounds really interesting. Like when I used to live in a big German city - nice and international and cosmopolitan.

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CSilivestru View Post
    I can't name the number of times I've made something primal and the CW folks beside get jealous.... basically, bacon-wrapped anything, home-made guac with veggies, spiced nut mixes (home-made, of course) and my next trial -- home-made sweet poatato chips dipped in dark chocolate (for a desert).
    I've had bacon at least one meal each of the last four days. One roommate asked "are you on a bacon diet? Can I some." Bacon, it's like a primal gateway food. What all are you wrapping with it?

Also, would you report back on how the sweet potato chips turn out? I've been wanting to make some for a while, but specifically using duck fat (which I'm still on the hunt for since my Whole Foods doesn't carry it anymore).

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    This is my very first forum participation e-v-e-r. So I haven't figured out many things about forums and the MDA and all the bells and whistles that go along with them.
    Well glad you jumped on board. I don't worry about most of the features, but subscribe to threads and the search function come in very handy.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Stick to your guns and your roommates will eventually get used to it. Once you reach your first goal, they will start asking questions. For now I'd ignore their opinions (and carby freebies). I lived with roommates, only 3 vs yours 9, and it was a challenge but it kept getting easier with each passing day. Now 18 months later my wife and I still have two different eating plans but that's not a problem anymore.
    I remember my first steps in the kitchen when trying to cook something primal - frustrating! Now from an idea to full plate in minutes.

Things that can be wrapped with bacon: everything. There's always a way you can incorporate bacon into any meal. If you feel like something may be missing in the recipe, add bacon

I never had sweet potato chips but I made sweet potato french fries. Awesomeness. Even better the next day.
    Primal Matrix - primal/paleo news feeds aggregator
    LowCarbFlix - carb free videos

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Well it's been about a month, so thought I'd update.

Things are going generally well with the roommates. Of the nine, there are four that I primarily interact with -- we have "The African", "The Baker", "Mr. CW", and "Curious George".

The African and I joke about food, I'm not sure I've ever seen him eat a grainless meal... rice, pasta, ceral, oatmeal, bread, etc. I joke he needs more meat, he jokes that I take too many pictures of my food. It's good. And he's the one I have started biking with occasionally. With Ramadan starting this weekend (he's muslim), I'm hopeful to have some "food" conversations with him.

The Baker has definitely noticed my change in food, mainly because I turn down almost everything she makes. She comments that all I eat now is fruit and veggies and salmon (which she really dislikes the smell of). After not baking for a while, she's on a bender right now... In just the last 6 days...

[Double Layer Chocolate Cake w/ Chocolate Frosting]

[Tiramisu]

[Peanut Butter Cake w/ Buttercream frosting & Cookies & Cream Ice Cream]

I've thrown out a few primal concept about food to her, which haven't really been well received. Even so far as some mocking comments in response about taking information from the internet too seriously. So we'll see. Her baking is a HUGE temptation for me, and I feel bad turning most things down (though I do it anyway). I'm not really a "take a couple/few bites and be okay with it" type of guy. Though I did help her with (and even taste) some coffee icing that she made this morning, for an upcoming, as yet undetermined baking project. Maybe I'll try and convince her to make a flourless cake or something with it.

Mr. CW is by far my greatest antagonist in the house. He's older, rather set in his ways. The other day I commented that I had had six eggs in a day, and he mentioned how his father used to have bacon & eggs every morning and still somehow managed to have low cholesterol (shocker. ha). Also that his sister still eats all kinds of animal fats and I said "oh that's good" and he promptly told me, no it wasn't. Though assuring me that low cholesterol ran in his family (yet he's taking prescription statins to keep his low). He has several health issues. My two most repetitive phrases to him are "dietary cholesterol doesn't equal blood cholesterol" and "eating fat doesn't make you fat." Holding strong to that.

Curious George is somewhat new to the house and he is rather intrigued by some of the food-facts I'm able to throw out there. Also he has horrible allergies and I talked to him about breaking from grains, which he was considering. But he got on some natural anti-allergy thing that is working, so that fell off his radar. But we continue to chat and he continues to ask questions. Had hoped to show him some stuff from the Real Food Summit, but that didn't work out. Maybe I can get some similar videos to share. He seems curious.

So far, those that I interact with most, have definitely noticed a change in my eating habits and I'm guessing also my activity level, though it's not really apparent yet that I've lost 30+ lbs. Perhaps as things progress there will be more questions and interest. Though, considering the dietary habits of most, I could also see it being easily dismissed as me having given up "too many good foods" and it's not worth it type of thing. But, I progress and continue to get healthier and learn more, so we'll see.
    Last edited by DashFire; 07-18-2012 at 09:28 PM.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    I think The Baker is trying to break you. I used to bake and the need to have everyone eat and love my food was quite scary and your lifestyle challenges an activity that brings her comfort and self esteem.

Loved the post and keep up the good work.
    Life. Be in it.

Luce is offline Senior Member
    My ex mother in law bakes and kneads and makes wholes tons of pasta, but I replay with a sort of primal lasagna and it works just fine. I just use prosciutto cotto instead of pasta if I'm on a veggies lasagna -zucchini stripes if vegan friends are invited- or just lay some roasted thin sweet potatoes when I go with the traditional meat sauce filling (the only thing you could miss is the cheese part, but really old parmesan work fine in truly small quantities).
    People doesn't always rejects changes/differences but things that alter routine feel pretty menacing for most, so primal starts are often seen as something "disturbing". I'd just love them to take it in the "hey, more baked sweet goodness for me" way, wouldn't you?

Luce
    No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    DF, maybe you can get at least some of your roomies be on your side? Explain the primal thing to them, tell them you need help to avoid the "bad" stuff, and maybe challenge them to find primal alternatives to the baking (almond flour, coconut flour, etc.)? "I'm really trying to stick to this plan, could you guys help me out?"

Back when I was only about 60% primal, I used to bake sweet things on occasion. Now that I'm 100% grain-free, I enjoy experimenting with alternatives to pies, cakes, cookies, etc. I've found an almond flour pancake recipe that even my non-primal hubby loves! (We smash fruit on top along with lots of butter!) Maybe your baking roomies would like to play around with different ways to bake.

I've found that if you can get even just a couple people on your side, it helps a lot. At work, all my coworkers know that I don't eat grain products. When someone brings in magic bars, the supportive coworkers say, "oh, she doesn't eat those" and that helps me keep my resolve! Plus, now they sometimes bring in fruit along with donuts, just for me!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    When a person has more than 100 pounds to lose, the people in their lives that aren't supportive of any effort are straight up assholes. That said, we are social creatures, and common courtesy precludes us telling people they are assholes.

I find that if I speak to someone gently and in private and explain to them that the extra hundred (or 75 or 50, etc.) pounds that I'm carrying have the potential to kill me, they tend to get it.

Another one that works is: if I were an alcoholic, you'd never think to tempt me with booze. It's obvious I have food issues, so why do you think that cake/bread/pasta is any different?

This may sound harsh, but passive aggressive sabotage makes the little hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    I'm so sick and tired of reading your excuses
    I live in a SAD house
    JUST DON'T PUT THINGS YOU DON'T WANT TO INGEST IN YOUR MOUTH
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    I'm so sick and tired of reading your excuses
    I live in a SAD house
    JUST DON'T PUT THINGS YOU DON'T WANT TO INGEST IN YOUR MOUTH
    You, sir, are being a complete ass today. DashFire didn't say he was eating it all up - he was describing his home situation and succeeding in resisting it. What is this forum for, if not to ask for support?? Yeah, I have read all about your superhuman willpower and Primal perfection all over this forum, but the one thing you totally suck at is EMPATHY. You should head on out to the Negev and reflect on that for a while before you post shit like this again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast