Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My roommates are trying to kill me... with carbs. page 2

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Forget about food and concentrate more on the orgies....

On a side note, magic cookie bars are a weakness for me. Only around atChristmas time in my family and I have been known to eat half a pan.
    Last edited by Fernaldo; 06-07-2012 at 02:46 PM.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crabcakes
    Here is my top-secret recipe for a seven-minute almond bread made in the microwave
    Thanks for the recipe. Unfortunately we don't have a microwave. Have you tried it in the oven? I may give it a go and report back.

Thought I'd share an update on the roommate situation. One roommate in particular keeps telling me how unhealthy things I'm eating are because of fat or cholesterol or caloric content. But this isn't limited to just me, he says stuff like that to whoever. I'm slowly trying to inform him.. "not all fat is bad fat", "dietary cholesterol doesn't equal blood cholesterol", etc.

The primal meal I prepared the other night for the house went well, especially with one African roommate who sat down and ate with me, and challenged me to eat with my hands (like he usually does). So that was fun, and totally primal.

But alas, today was house grocery day and the temptation continues (though is quickly subsiding)...

IMAG3491.jpg

but, on the plus side, we got about 20lb of organic strawberries and more organic, grass-fed whole chickens.

IMAG3495.jpg
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Hey, I'm totally with you. My roommate, when I told him I wasn't interested in joining him for a stellar dinner of vegtable-less, grain-fed, carb loaded beef noodle dinner, said I was being too anti-social and that I need to lighten up a lot. Apparently a few "insignificant noodles" won't kill me.

Geeze, all I said was "no thanks, I already have dinner plans." =|

Besides, there's a big line between death and feeling like crap.

Primal-JoJo is offline Senior Member
    I totally feel your pain- I'm home for the summer so I'm dealing with the temptations of being surrounded by CW foods and snacks. I think I have an advantage, however, since I've been primal for almost a year now (and living on my own so no temptations around) - kudos to you for trying to make the switch surrounded by non-primal people. I don't think I could do it - so I'm really rooting for you! But anyways here are some tips that I find work for me, perhaps they might be some food for thought.

To me primal is about enjoying food, not deprivation. Being surrounded in CW treats will definitely raise the deprivation factor - so to counter that I try to find primal foods to eat at the same time other people are eating CW foods. Try to come up with options for foods you have the most trouble resisting - and find something primal that sounds freaking amazing to you to have instead. So for example, if sweets are a problem - find an amazing primal dessert to have on hand. If it's bread, think of something that that can actually trump that (for me bacon and anything cooked in (lots of) butter does it - play with your primal favourites).

My other tip for your time of transition is to spoil yourself a bit at the beginning. When I started primal, to beat the carb flu I totally stuffed my face (with only primal foods). I was eating an insane amount. Once my body transitioned my food intake went down a lot. But to start I would suggest not fearing eating too much- it'll keep you full, and make it easier to resist CW foods, but I found there was something really psychologically liberating about eating as much bacon and butter as I wanted and knowing it was doing my body good.

Hope this might be of use to you.
    Primal: Because I like to have my steak, and eat it too

Current Primal Journal
    My Old Primal Journal - Surviving my summer away from home
    Food blog: Sex or Chocolate: I choose STEAK!

Crabbcakes is online now Senior Member
    No, never tried baking the almond bread in an oven. I do have other recipes, though, that do go into an oven and I will say that they are demanding and sensitive creatures - not too much heat or they burn. Just like me (white-haired, pasty-skinned, and blue-eyed...).

So I would suggest keeping the temp in the high 200F ranges tops to begin the experiment. If your set-up can handle it (combo of nice pans plus nice oven for ex.), or you just are a better baker than I, and you can watch the batch carefully, hey, crank it higher.

One of my favorite aids to baking are AirBake cookie sheets. A cookie-baking fiend of a friend turned me on to them years ago. They are basically two cookie sheets crimped together so that a layer of air is more-or-less trapped between. Amazing insulation. I add a layer of parchment paper, and this formerly cookie-challenged chef can actually bake cookies! (Now, I have just chosen not to eat them... aw, dang - all the cookie-baking learning just got ignored with the Primal...)

Perhaps if you have thinner baking pans of metal, double them up for baking - top one holds the batter, bottom one adds a little bit of insulation - helps with thinner, cheaper pans and/or sensitive batters.

Let me know how it turn out! And hang in there! I am in week 7 and still losing inches - yeeeeeeehaw!!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    If you need some motivation - remember that you're on the road to a healthier body and mind. Just think about how great you're going to feel once you're system clears out from all the sugar and gluten. More energy, better hair, better skin, better libido... the list goes on

Yesterday I ate chocolate and ice cream for the first time since going Primal (a little over a month). It was delicious at the time, but today I have soo many cravings / no energy. It's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    In private, eat butter by the spoonful until you are not hungry for anything.
    Bahahahahaha!

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes
    I am in week 7 and still losing inches - yeeeeeeehaw!!
    That's great to hear. Are you maintaining a journal on here? Didn't see one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    If you need some motivation - remember that you're on the road to a healthier body and mind. Just think about how great you're going to feel once you're system clears out from all the sugar and gluten.
    This gave me an idea... to make a roadmap diagram to record progress milestones. Nice bit of encouragement on my wall.

Things are going well with the house. I'm already turning some of the roommates onto coconut milk & berries. Tonight I made a very simple primal version of Eggy in a Basket (photo below) for everyone. Normally I'd put bacon or sausage on top, but I ate it all. Continuing to look for opportunities to connect and share info.

IMAG3524.jpg
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

CSilivestru is offline Member
    To me primal is about enjoying food, not deprivation. Being surrounded in CW treats will definitely raise the deprivation factor - so to counter that I try to find primal foods to eat at the same time other people are eating CW foods.
    I couldn't agree with this more! I can't name the number of times I've made something primal and the CW folks beside get jealous.... basically, bacon-wrapped anything, home-made guac with veggies, spiced nut mixes (home-made, of course) and my next trial -- home-made sweet poatato chips dipped in dark chocolate (for a desert).

I don't see primal as depriving myself, especially considering I can eat my primal stuff and break out sprints right after if I had to... I don't think you can do that with doritos.

Unrelated PS. JoJo, if you're name is Joanna then we know each other! Kudos on going primal -- I've been primal myself for just over 2.5 years :-). Long time no see!
    Living the primal lifestyle and loving it! On a constant quest of optimal health and living life to the fullest :-).

You can have excuses or results -- not both.

Primal-JoJo is offline Senior Member
    Lol - I was just about to be like Silivestru???? I know him! Wow, finally meeting some primal peeps... that I already knew lol. Long time no see indeed. Looks like you live in my old hometown - how's the winter treating you? Or, to be more current, how do you enjoy them mosquitoes? :P

And I totally agree. There is no deprivation with primal. Best. Food. EVAR. Chocolate sweet potatoes?? You just blew my mind. Primal food is def the most creative!
    Primal: Because I like to have my steak, and eat it too

Current Primal Journal
    My Old Primal Journal - Surviving my summer away from home
    Food blog: Sex or Chocolate: I choose STEAK!

Crabbcakes is online now Senior Member
    Nope - no journal. I am a recovering Luddite. I truly believe in limiting media exposure (for myself and my kids for a thousand disparate reasons), and only recently got my very first email account e-v-e-r. This is my very first forum participation e-v-e-r. So I haven't figured out many things about forums and the MDA and all the bells and whistles that go along with them. Now, hubby is a computer programmer and certified geek in all things photonic (our house slang for anything virtual) and we have technology (we have so many computers that he can do his own minor network testing right here in the comfort of home...), so we are not exactly deprived or Amish (amongst which I live), but we have right strange ideas about putting ourselves out there too much. There is no such thing in this house as Facebook or Twitter or anything else let-me-show-the-world-my-most-private-life-thing.

I also am not much of a numbers gal. Collecting data on myself never really occurred or appealed to me, much less post it. I am glad that lots of folks do it - and that scientists must. My style is much more, I dunno', intuitive or wishy-washy, I guess. I think I will have to go over and see what the fuss is about. I might just learn something...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast