Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I stopped drinking coffee and the last of my bloat is gone page 4

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonwolf View Post
    Coffee is a diuretic and should reduce bloating, not increase it, right?
    I get bloated when I eat something that I'm sensitive to, possibly because my body is working hard to process it and all the toxins get released from the food into my system. I particularly get bloated when I drink Starbucks, compared to no symptoms coming from a local roaster's coffee.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    You can count me in as another person who doesn't do well with coffee. I have tried the commercial brands, expensive organic brands, decaf using the Swiss water technique, and French pressed with spring water. They all make me feel bloated and give me abdominal distress. Tea on the other hand jives well with me. It is just hard to go without coffee for long periods of time. I can quit it for a few weeks but once in awhile I will have an occassional cup and it always makes me feel crappy afterwards.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I get bloated when I eat something that I'm sensitive to, possibly because my body is working hard to process it and all the toxins get released from the food into my system. I particularly get bloated when I drink Starbucks, compared to no symptoms coming from a local roaster's coffee.
    Are you all talking about the same kind of bloat here? Sakura, you mentioned in an earlier post your bloating is in your gut, like a gassy, distended belly kind of bloating. I'm currently dealing with full-body edema/water retention, which one of the doctors I've seen about it referred to as bloating as well.

I can see how the diuretic properties of coffee *may* help with water retention (hasn't in my case - in fact, I have to drink half decaf otherwise I'll end up with wicked leg cramps in the night after drinking full-test), but how is it supposed to help with belly bloating?

I love coffee, dear god, but I would give it up in an instant, no question, if I knew it would help with my edema. Which it hasn't.

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    Are you all talking about the same kind of bloat here? Sakura, you mentioned in an earlier post your bloating is in your gut, like a gassy, distended belly kind of bloating. I'm currently dealing with full-body edema/water retention, which one of the doctors I've seen about it referred to as bloating as well.

I can see how the diuretic properties of coffee *may* help with water retention (hasn't in my case - in fact, I have to drink half decaf otherwise I'll end up with wicked leg cramps in the night after drinking full-test), but how is it supposed to help with belly bloating?

I love coffee, dear god, but I would give it up in an instant, no question, if I knew it would help with my edema. Which it hasn't.
    lemontwisst - I am having alot of trouble with edema too. My doctors don't seem too concerned although they have never seen it when its really bad - when I can push a finger into my shin and have a pit about a centimetre deep. I might PM you and see if we can compare notes...

its better when I cut grains, but never really goes 100%. I suspect I'm going to have to cut dairy and coffee as well...

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post

Both. My fingers swell up if I've been drinking Philz and Starbucks coffee, but not from the small coffee shop with local roasts down the road.

gursharankang is offline Junior Member

Been trying for a year now

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Both. My fingers swell up if I've been drinking Philz and Starbucks coffee, but not from the small coffee shop with local roasts down the road.
    I used to eat quite a lot of dairy products and drink coffee and tea as well. Otherwise, I have always been a healthy eater and have had an active lifestyle. Last year I started getting severe stomach aches and I was told that I had Gallbladder issues and that should be taken out. I was surprised to hear that because I have always been a vegetarian and don't ever eat fatty food, so how could I have a lifestyle related health issue. Anyway, I decided not to get an operation done and made some major changes in diet. One being no milk and second being no coffee/black tea. After a year of strict diet I tried a cup of black tea and suddenly felt sick in stomach. It took two days to get normal again. Similarly, I tried only two sips of coffee and had same affect. For diary products, I have only been eating small portions of organic yogurt and that seems to work well. Thanks to this post, I will now research our tap water and see if that has anything to do with it. It really is a terrible feeling and can't believe that a otherwise healthy and active person like me has bloating issues for the past year or so. I am sure it will all go away one day; at least I hope so.

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member
    I cannot drink coffee either, but I can tolerate organic once in awhile.
    Lately it has given me such bad gut wrenching that I have to spend hours on the toilet.
    Now I prefer a cup of earl grey tea.

msjameyers is offline Junior Member
    This may be a dumb question but what do you all consider dairy? I don't eat cheese or milk but suffer from unexplained abdominal bloating...i do use liberal amounts of kerrygold butter and 2-4 tbs of gf cream...thought these were ok because they were primarily fat...

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I'm pretty bloat-prone. Everything from the usual suspects all the way to excess fruit consumption will get my belly out. But never nice, black coffee made from well-water. I'm even pretty sure tap water bloats me. I don't know if it's the fluoride or other chemicals. But I stick to well water as much as possible - and it makes a superb coffee anyway! But, no, plain black coffee does not bloat this pink-skinned zit-prone white guy. Almost everything else does, though! For sure dairy!!! I had some ice cream yesterday and I'm already gassy and feeling weird belly pressure. But it was worth it. Beyond worth it. Mmmmmm, sweet ice cream! The most paleo ice cream I've ever encountered, too. Milk is from cows with the healthier protein DNA (that whole A2 thing), etc.
    Was it commercial ice cream? Did it have gums and vegetable oils in it?

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msjameyers View Post
    This may be a dumb question but what do you all consider dairy? I don't eat cheese or milk but suffer from unexplained abdominal bloating...i do use liberal amounts of kerrygold butter and 2-4 tbs of gf cream...thought these were ok because they were primarily fat...

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    All dairy, but butter doesn't have lactose. So it is basically satty fat.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast