Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I stopped drinking coffee and the last of my bloat is gone page 3

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Coffee gives me abdominal cramps, intestinal swelling and tenderness, and a feverish feeling, whether regular or decaf. I have no problem with other caffeine delivery systems. I drink tea all the time.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krystal2lite View Post
    I started a food diary again and discovered that about 15 to 20 minutes after drinking my starbucks, I would become nausea, throw up or have terrible stomach cramps. Plus, I would bloat. I have cut out coffee completely. I have tried all types and I suppose my body is still healing.
    Oh my goodness, all you had to do was mention Starbucks. That is some nasty crap that I never drink anymore. I'm 99% sure their coffees are blends of both Arabica and Robusta. Extreme bloat and congestion happens to me every single time I attempt to drink their coffee, so it's definitely not just you.

Maybe you could try some better coffees? Maybe take out the Starbucks and see if your problem with dairy still persists.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    This thread is very interesting to me. I'm a coffee-lover and have been for years. I've been drinking my coffee black for about 4 years now, and continue to do so in my Primal life. However, I've noticed that I've been getting acid reflux-like symptoms in the past few weeks of re-starting my Primal life. I do buy whole beans, but they're Starbucks brand (as I'm a proud gold card-carrying member). I try to only get Kenyan or Kona coffee, as they're my favorite, but are these actually Arabica if it comes from Starbucks? I don't know what to believe anymore!

I think I may end up taking a break from coffee, especially now that I've learned that I actually like certain teas (which is a huge step for me, as I've hated all teas for most of my life up until recently).
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

imnes is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Mine is so delicious that I could drink it black pretty much from day 1. Also, I use a french press.
    I use a french press as well, it's the best coffee I've had. Also, I add a small dash of salt to the grinds when making it, cuts the bitter flavors down and makes the black coffee taste better if you're used to sweetening it.

This is the video I saw that started me adding salt to the coffee.

Perfect Coffee-Food Network - YouTube

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Please stop supporting Starbucks for their overmarketed bulk products and start supporting local roasters and their quality beans. Your health will thank you, too.

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    I detest Starbucks coffee ... the rare occasions that I gave in and drank it, I got sick. My ex-fiance loved the stuff and flat out refused to drink anything but Starbucks, which would have been easier to tolerate if he had actually gotten off his butt and worked and paid something towards the household bills. (# 2 reason why he became an Ex !)
    However, I solved it one day by buying a good brand at a good price, then after washing and drying one of the damned Starbucks bags, I filled it up with real coffee. Heeheee .... obviously it was a ego thing with him because he never figured that out ! Still makes me laugh six years later !!!

I used to think it was all coffee, but using a more local (and less expensive) brand has changed that .... well, along with totally eliminating all stevia. When I gave up the stevia, my bloated, gassy, oh holy crap I feel awful feeling went away.
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Bobert is offline Senior Member
    I am surprised that no one have mentioned the chlorogenic acid in coffe.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    I agree that Starbucks is crap. Since posting last year, I changed my beans after reading about the prevalence of mycotoxins in coffee on the Bulletproof Exec website. I have tried his Upgraded Coffee, and it's really good, but it's also quite expensive and you have to pay for shipping, which increases the cost even more. However, he also has a blog post about how to find the best coffee in your city. I followed his advice and found a great source of beans at a local coffee shop near me. I recently tested my reactivity to coffee by going cold turkey for 5 days and then reintroducing it and found that thankfully it doesn't cause me any issues! I'm still dealing with unexplained bloat, but at least my beloved coffee doesn't make it worse!

Here's a link to the Upgraded Coffee - » Bulletproof® Upgraded
    I think it's worth trying out if you love coffee but have issues when you drink it. It might be the mycotoxins and not the coffee that are causing the problems.

And here's the link to the blog post that talks about how to find the best coffee in your city:
    » 3 Steps to Finding the Highest Performance Coffee in Your City The Bulletproof Executive

CradlingaLion is offline Member
    Y'all crazy.

I tried cold-turkeying off of coffee for a week once for a detox. I got leg cramps, migraines, and restless leg. I couldn't get comfortable. I hated life. Never again!

Honestly, as long as I am eating right and drinking H2O when my body asks for it, I Loooooooove coffee. I love Starbucks, I love my local roasters' coffees (as long as it's roasted well), I love black coffee, I love espresso, I love coffee with organic milk or cream in it. I don't sweeten my coffee much because I think the sweetness of milk is enough.

But I am *always* bloated. I have been since before I started drinking coffee, so I don't think that's a factor. But.... if I have to give it up, it will be LAST to go.

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Coffee is a diuretic and should reduce bloating, not increase it, right?
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast