Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I stopped drinking coffee and the last of my bloat is gone page 2

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    When I cut out wheat, I didn't cut out coffee. As a result, my digestive system worked slightly better, but I was still having gas in the afternoon. I cut out my afternoon Starbucks and my morning organic locally-roasted french-pressed coffee for a week now, and my stomach bloat and afternoon face bloating is pretty much gone (minus yesterday during the aftermath of over half a pound of nuts). Anybody else have the cross-reactivity with wheat in coffee? I'm not sure if it is just the shitty Starbucks coffee or the coffee in general. In a month I'll add my good coffee back in to see if there are any negative effects. This is so awesome! But so sad because now I can't drink yummy black coffee
    Moldy coffee? What Dr. Mercola didn’t say about coffee, brains, and muscle (video) The Bulletproof Executive

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    I gave up coffee and tea recently after learning they are processed with flouride and retain it! I was pissed because I always thought they were my safe go-to drinks when black wth nothing added. Apparently nothing s sacred.

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member
    I'm with knifegill. I bloat after eating pretty much anything except meat and coffee.

It could be the quality of the coffee though, for sure. I am really careful about my coffee and it does me good.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by butterphly01 View Post
    Very interesting. I've been trying to figure out what is still causing my bloating. It's so frustrating to be eating so healthfully, but still be bloated enough to look pregnant some days!!
    I'm in the middle of a few weeks' experiment of cutting out dairy to see if that's the ticket. Drinking my coffee black is not fun, but gosh, if coffee is the cause-I just might cry! What exactly is the "cross-reactivity" that you mentioned? Might be something for me to look into.
    This is me, too. I've been trying to figure out the cause of my bloating for a long time now. Despite eating a super clean diet and exercising, my weight stays the same due to bloat. It started before going paleo and hasn't improved at all in the 7 months that I've been eating this way. I thought it was coffee sometimes for me as well. I weigh myself in the mornings when I wake up, and one day I'd had nothing except a cup of coffee and my supplements, and started feeling bloated. I weighed myself again and was up a pound and a half!!
    I've been drinking my coffee black for awhile now, and have even started drinking it without stevia (trying to squash the sugar cravings), and still enjoy the heck out of it. I limit it to 1 cup in the morning, and it's too much of an enjoyment for me to give up. Coffee w/out dairy was easy for me. Coffee w/out stevia is a bit more of a challenge!

After researching the heck out of it, I think that I might have a candida overgrowth, which would explain the wretched sugar and alcohol cravings that I've been experiencing for months now. So I'm trying the candida diet, which is VLC and no fruit, mold, yeast or vinegar (w/the exception of unfiltered organic ACV). I buy good organic locally roasted coffee, which has the roasting date on the back. So I feel good about drinking it and hope that it doesn't contain any mold!

Tap water could also be an issue. I found out that my area adds fluoride to the drinking water and so I just bought a fluoride filter. Hopefully it will make a difference.
    So coffee and tea retain fluoride?! Egads, this stuff is inescapable! In this day and age, it's impossible to completely avoid exposure to toxins. So I'm doing the best that I can in the choices that I make, and am also supplementing with iodine to displace bromine, chlorine and fluoride.

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
    This is me, too. I've been trying to figure out the cause of my bloating for a long time now. Despite eating a super clean diet and exercising, my weight stays the same due to bloat. It started before going paleo and hasn't improved at all in the 7 months that I've been eating this way. I thought it was coffee sometimes for me as well. I weigh myself in the mornings when I wake up, and one day I'd had nothing except a cup of coffee and my supplements, and started feeling bloated. I weighed myself again and was up a pound and a half!!
    I've been drinking my coffee black for awhile now, and have even started drinking it without stevia (trying to squash the sugar cravings), and still enjoy the heck out of it. I limit it to 1 cup in the morning, and it's too much of an enjoyment for me to give up. Coffee w/out dairy was easy for me. Coffee w/out stevia is a bit more of a challenge!

After researching the heck out of it, I think that I might have a candida overgrowth, which would explain the wretched sugar and alcohol cravings that I've been experiencing for months now. So I'm trying the candida diet, which is VLC and no fruit, mold, yeast or vinegar (w/the exception of unfiltered organic ACV). I buy good organic locally roasted coffee, which has the roasting date on the back. So I feel good about drinking it and hope that it doesn't contain any mold!

Tap water could also be an issue. I found out that my area adds fluoride to the drinking water and so I just bought a fluoride filter. Hopefully it will make a difference.
    So coffee and tea retain fluoride?! Egads, this stuff is inescapable! In this day and age, it's impossible to completely avoid exposure to toxins. So I'm doing the best that I can in the choices that I make, and am also supplementing with iodine to displace bromine, chlorine and fluoride.
    What fluoride filter did you get? I can't afford one right now but eventually want to get one and have been searching for a trustworthy one...

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    What fluoride filter did you get? I can't afford one right now but eventually want to get one and have been searching for a trustworthy one...
    I ordered it from here: Fluoride water filters - remove fluoride using activated alumina and bone char
    I already have an under the sink water filter that takes care of chlorine and sediment, so I purchased the filter that does only fluoride and can be connected to an already existing filter. They may have sold out, as I don't see that specific one on the site now, but they also sell dual filters which filter out fluoride and chlorine, among other things! I chose this company because it doesn't waste water while it filters out the fluoride, and it also wasn't very expensive. Other filters that I've researched take 5 gallons of water to make one gallon of water w/out fluoride!

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    I carefully source my beans too, so it's definitely not the coffee itself. It's also not my water because I researched my city's water quality report and the amount of fluoride, chlorine, etc. is extremely minimal, about 1/100th of what the law requires.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I carefully source my beans too, so it's definitely not the coffee itself. It's also not my water because I researched my city's water quality report and the amount of fluoride, chlorine, etc. is extremely minimal, about 1/100th of what the law requires.
    Isn't there something about using a french press that leaves a bad chemical in coffee that is removed very efficiently just by going through a filter paper?

However, I clearly feel better without any coffee in my diet. It is a very sad fact of life because I really love it. I try to have one cup of decaf per week.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Isn't there something about using a french press that leaves a bad chemical in coffee that is removed very efficiently just by going through a filter paper?

However, I clearly feel better without any coffee in my diet. It is a very sad fact of life because I really love it. I try to have one cup of decaf per week.
    Yeah, it's the oil that raises LDL, but not much of that affects your digestion, right?

krystal2lite is offline Junior Member

My experience with Coffee

I heard it's because the protein structure in coffee is similar to that of gluten, so it could cause a similar reaction in your gut. Good for you for trying to cut dairy out; I've pretty much done that too, except I eat cheese maybe once every 2 weeks.

You could try buying better, freshly-roasted coffee if you don't like drinking your coffee black. Mine is so delicious that I could drink it black pretty much from day 1. Also, I use a french press.
    About 6 months after I found out I was gluten intolerant, I started getting sick in the morning. At first I thought I was pregnant, but I was not. I started a food diary again and discovered that about 15 to 20 minutes after drinking my starbucks, I would become nausea, throw up or have terrible stomach cramps. Plus, I would bloat. I have cut out coffee completely. I have tried all types and I suppose my body is still healing.

I also cannot about any artificial flavoring. Basically, if I can not make it with my hands naturally, I cannot have it or I will bloat, get a headache, throw up and/or have digestion issues.

I still eat dairy but much less than I did. I used to eat cheese at least two times a day. Now, I eat it a couple times a week. I also cannot eat very large meals or I also get sick.

I have been tested for about everything and all the results come back negative. Does anyone else have this same or similar problem?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast