Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Varying between >50g and <50g carbs Low Carb Flu? page 7

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    "Small" apple in the fit-day is something you would never find in the grocery store. It is actually TINY. All apples that you actually would consider small are 'large' in the fit day, they are more of a 30 g carbs, 100 cal ones. Even if not, 4 apples a day is nothing.
    The average apple I get from the store is 160 grams in weight. That is 22g of carbohydrate and 83 calories. Who cares? That's less than the tablespoon of coconut oil you're frying your eggs in. I can't tell you the last time I've eaten 4 apples in a single day, and again, it's totally irrelevant because virtually no one on planet Earth is eating the 6-7 lbs of apples daily outlined above to hit your target. It's still impossibly unsustainable BS that you fabricated to substantiate disregulated eating habits.

WTF, not drinking calories? Not having soups or smoothies or broth? Most people love them and eat them, Paleo or not. I doubt anyone will have a problem with having a smoothie after having a couple of eggs for breakfast. I can do it without bating an eyelash and 2 eggs will be small.
    I have never, ever made a smoothie. A smoothie is not food. One of the rules of the PB is to not drink calories. This includes juices and smoothies. Acceptable drinks: water, tea, coffee. Eat your calories, don't drink them. Soup is not a drink. I have never drank soup out of a glass. Well, maybe once in college out of desperation because all my (2) bowls were dirty, but that doesn't count.

I don't know anyone that makes smoothies unless they're adding liquor.

And no, it is NOT potatoes OR rice. It is either OR. A lb of potatoes is 3 average potatoes. Nothing exciting about their size, 150 g each. You can have that and a piece of a steak or fish, or a chicken breast. If it is mushed, you would think it's not enough, really. It's like a cup and a half. If it is made into fries, even less...
    When was the last time you've even 3 potatoes with every meal? Lets assume you're eating breakfast, lunch and dinner daily. Do you eat the 9-11 potatoes a day required to hit the carb count? I'm guessing I'm bigger than you, lift more weights than you, eat more than you and I know I'm much more relaxed about food than you are. Do you know when the last time I ate 9-11 potatoes in a day was?

If your answer is "never," you'd be correct.

I don't come close to averaging 300g of carbs a day and I sometimes eat carbs out of spite because of posts like this. I average more like 150-175g, and I can deadlift 2.3 times by body weight.

I have never heard anyone complaining about not being able to eat 10 oz steak. In fact many complain how they can breathe it IN and not notice.
    That would be me. And I can't do what you propose.

Honestly, the day is LONG, you will have these foods no pro.

I did not eat 20 apples in a day, but I ate a few pounds of fruit in a day EASILY, and will do so again if I did not have to control myself.
    Leida, I say this with love - I do not believe a word you say when it comes to your food intake or habits. I guarantee I eat more food than you given my size, gender, age and activity level, and I cannot sustain the lifestyle you propose.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chocotaco369 View Post
    the primal blueprint will always be low carbohydrate compared to the sad because the high carbohydrate nature of the sad relies on flours and sugary drinks to bridge the gap... The primal blueprint is low carbohydrate built-in, and it's just stupid to stress over whether or not you're <100g of carbs a day... The real things that keep you from losing weight on the primal blueprint are nuts and dairy.
    yup.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Choco,

I would not that there are two thing you are not taking inmto consideration in your argument that a person making basic Primal/Paleo choice cannot slip into 300 g carb range.

Firstly, you are not a sugar addict, so you have not experienced how a sugar addict would unerringly pick the sweetest and the most carb heavy option available from the range of allowed foods
    Secondly, you ignore that the palatability, complexity of the dish and the diversity of choice significantly changes perception of quantity consumed, the desire to consume, and, eventually the amount consumed. We are talking here about 4 apples vs an apple, a banana, an orange and a baggie of grapes; and 2 potatoes in a bowl of stew as opposite to two boiled potatoes on a plate.

Finally I am in a vulnerable place right now with my sugar addiction, so I cannot continue this discussion, unfortunately without compromising my recovery and peace of mind. I hope you’d understand.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    It's still impossibly unsustainable BS that you fabricated to substantiate disregulated eating habits.

I have never, ever made a smoothie. A smoothie is not food. One of the rules of the PB is to not drink calories. This includes juices and smoothies. Acceptable drinks: water, tea, coffee. Eat your calories, don't drink them.
    Anybody who eats differently than you is automatically "disordered" or "dis-regulated". This coming from the guy who does cake binges on the UD2.

Personally I'm not a big smoothie drinker, but, before condemning them as non-primal, I suggest you take a look at what is advertised right next to your post. That's right. Primal Fuel, meal replacement shake.

Firstly, you are not a sugar addict, so you have not experienced how a sugar addict would unerringly pick the sweetest and the most carb heavy option available from the range of allowed foods
    The PB eliminates sugar. If you are eating sugar, you are not following the PB. Fruit =/= sugar.

Secondly, you ignore that the palatability, complexity of the dish and the diversity of choice significantly changes perception of quantity consumed, the desire to consume, and, eventually the amount consumed. We are talking here about 4 apples vs an apple, a banana, an orange and a baggie of grapes; and 2 potatoes in a bowl of stew as opposite to two boiled potatoes on a plate.
    So you're ignoring your natural hunger mechanism to eat foods that have been overly processed to enhance palatability? How is that part of the PB? Isn't that what we're trying to avoid by focusing on minimally-processed foods and listening to our bodies?

Finally I am in a vulnerable place right now with my sugar addiction, so I cannot continue this discussion, unfortunately without compromising my recovery and peace of mind. I hope you’d understand.
    I do understand. But the best way to combat an addiction is to, simply put, stop buying the substance you feel you are addicted to and quit it cold turkey. As a former self-diagnosed 'pasta addict,' it's quite simple after you get over the initial hump.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Anybody who eats differently than you is automatically "disordered" or "dis-regulated". This coming from the guy who does cake binges on the UD2.
    In my lifetime, I have lived 1,378 weeks. I spent 12 of them on the UD2. Care to make a math problem out of that and give me a percentage? What exactly is your point, or are you just looking to annoy? It only takes a few weeks to become food obsessed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Personally I'm not a big smoothie drinker, but, before condemning them as non-primal, I suggest you take a look at what is advertised right next to your post. That's right. Primal Fuel, meal replacement shake.
    "Primal" is a word coined by Mark Sisson. "Primal" is whatever he says it is at the current time, and if fluctuates greatly. He has a 'meal replacement' powder that he sells for profit. It has the word 'Primal' stamped on it. It isn't actually "Primal" by his definition, only by his trademark association. But you know this - you even agree with it. You're just looking to cause trouble. My meal replacement is fasting.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    In my lifetime, I have lived 1,378 weeks. I spent 12 of them on the UD2. Care to make a math problem out of that and give me a percentage? What exactly is your point, or are you just looking to annoy? It only takes a few weeks to become food obsessed.

"Primal" is a word coined by Mark Sisson. "Primal" is whatever he says it is at the current time, and if fluctuates greatly. He has a 'meal replacement' powder that he sells for profit. It has the word 'Primal' stamped on it. It isn't actually "Primal" by his definition, only by his trademark association. But you know this - you even agree with it. You're just looking to cause trouble. My meal replacement is fasting.
    Just a cautionary tale about stones and glass houses.

Saying you don't like smoothies is one thing or that they don't work for you, cool, I agree and I've had the same experience. Saying they are violating "the rules of PB" right next to a big ol' ad for Primal Fuel is just kinda silly.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    A smoothie isn't food? I'm okay with it not being Primal, but not food? It may not be the best delivery system because it cuts out the chewing portion of the whole digestive process, but it's food. There may be qualitative differences as in a pure fruit smoothie vs a liver and whey protein powder smoothie, but it's food. Drinking milk may not be Primal, but milk is food. Food provides nutrients. Not all food is Primal. If something doesn't fit the definition of Primal, that doesn't make it not food.

This whole "black/white, mine is the only" way thing thing is not only simplistic, but it fosters the impression that one needs to pull a large branch out of one's anus.

JonnyH is offline Senior Member
    So…back onto the subject of low carb flu!

This carb flu that I hear about, maybe a dumb question, but do the symptoms include actually having slight flu-like symptoms, i.e feeling chesty, slight sore throat etc. I thought it was just feeling a general malaise, fogginess etc.
    I’ve hovered around 50-60g carbs a day, sometimes higher when I train hard, for a while now. So I think maybe I’m in the ‘not low enough for Ketosis, but not enough for brain, energy etc’ camp.
    For the last few months, off and on I get the feeling I’ve got a cold or flu coming on, with the slight chestiness, and slight sore throat. Nothing ever really materialises, it goes away, then comes back again when I exercise for a few days.
    Does anyone else have this when going LC?

Thanks.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyH View Post
    So…back onto the subject of low carb flu!

This carb flu that I hear about, maybe a dumb question, but do the symptoms include actually having slight flu-like symptoms, i.e feeling chesty, slight sore throat etc. I thought it was just feeling a general malaise, fogginess etc.
    I’ve hovered around 50-60g carbs a day, sometimes higher when I train hard, for a while now. So I think maybe I’m in the ‘not low enough for Ketosis, but not enough for brain, energy etc’ camp.
    For the last few months, off and on I get the feeling I’ve got a cold or flu coming on, with the slight chestiness, and slight sore throat. Nothing ever really materialises, it goes away, then comes back again when I exercise for a few days.
    Does anyone else have this when going LC?

Thanks.
    The symptoms and the severity vary greatly from person to person. With some people it's headaches, with others it's just feeling tired and foggy brained. Some people have no carb flu at all. Some really get knocked on their butt by it.

You are probably experiencing you very own person version of it. Hang in there and be consistent and it will go away.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 09-20-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast