Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Varying between >50g and <50g carbs Low Carb Flu? page 2

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    As I said before, there's no way anyone is going to bounce in and out of ketosis unless they are snacking every hour or so on carbs.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    As I said before, there's no way anyone is going to bounce in and out of ketosis unless they are snacking every hour or so on carbs.
    I disagree. Nobody knows the exact number of carbs/day=ketosis for any one person. Mark only puts out the 50 number as a rough rule of thumb. Some people have said they need much lower levels to get to ketosis. I have measured my ketones with ketostix and yes, you can zig-zag in and out without snacking on carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I disagree. Nobody knows the exact number of carbs/day=ketosis for any one person. Mark only puts out the 50 number as a rough rule of thumb. Some people have said they need much lower levels to get to ketosis. I have measured my ketones with ketostix and yes, you can zig-zag in and out without snacking on carbs.
    You've missed my point entirely.

The point I made about bouncing in and out is pretty much independent of daily carb intake. It's about crossing the line and then taking in some carbs to cross back over ... if you think about it.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

I'm eagerly waiting to hear your argument that our metabolisms are not attuned to a smaller unit of time than a whole day. LOL!

Paleobird Guest
    Paleo-bunny, I think we may really be saying the same thing but failing to communicate about timelines. I'm not (and never was) talking about going in and out of ketosis minute by minute or hour by hour. I'm talking more in terms of days. And to get past the carb flu it takes several consecutive days, depending upon the person, of course.

I never went through any carb flu but then I never was much of a carb eater to begin with. I only ate the "healthy whole grains" because I thought I should. Someone who has a great portion of their calories coming from carbs and then makes such a switch might have a much rougher time.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I'm eagerly waiting to hear your argument that our metabolisms are not attuned to a smaller unit of time than a whole day. LOL!
    BTW, putting words in someone's mouth and then laughing about what you said they said is kinda snarky. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    BTW, putting words in someone's mouth and then laughing about what you said they said is kinda snarky. LOL.
    I wasn't putting words in your mouth, just interpreting what you were saying. You were clearly speaking about daily carb intake determining everything.

My understanding is that measuring ketones with ketostix is not a reliable test for whether someone is in ketosis, rather it is a test for whether the body is excreting excess ketones. This can be independent of carb intake for someone eating VLC long-term and is likely to correlate with fluctuations in energy output.

Paleobird Guest
    You call in "interpreting" I call it putting words in someone's mouth and you are doing it again. "determining everything" is not something I said.

I totally agree that when someone has been VLC for a long period of time, the ketostix become a less reliable metric and that there are other factors involved. That doesn't mean that carbs cease to be relevant.

Why are you even arguing? Can't we just discuss things instead? Chill, girl.

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    I think Peter Attia refers to a 'zone of misery' where your carb intake is too high to allow ketones for energy, but too low to provide sufficient energy themselves. Going either higher or lower might help.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_h View Post
    I think Peter Attia refers to a 'zone of misery' where your carb intake is too high to allow ketones for energy, but too low to provide sufficient energy themselves. Going either higher or lower might help.
    Exactly. I think this is where some people have hovered in this zone and then blamed the misery on low carb. Personally I feel like I could leap tall buildings on low carb but I am open to the idea that, for other people, this is not the case.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast