Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How can I make myself drink water? page

Mamakin is offline Junior Member

How can I make myself drink water?

I'm not interested in drinking water until I get really thirsty. How does one get in the habit of drinking water? I think I'm dehydrated...low energy, maybe carb flu, after 18 days of less than 50 grams/day.

Suggestions?

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    Pour it into a glass or cup. Bring that vessel to your lips. The tricky part here is that you'll need to close your mouth slightly, but not all the way, or the water will not be able to enter your system. The lips should purse forward slightly to receive the water.
    Gently pour some into your mouth, swallowing before your mouth fills. It's a lot like swallowing food, except you can completely skip the chewing stage (time saver!).

When the glass is empty stop.

Repeat this 2-0 times a day depending on how active you are and the heat and humidity of your location.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    squirt of citrus juice

slices of cucumber and mint

crystal light

or just guzzle is plain. i drink 32 oz of liquid at a time, a few times a day. i'm usually not that thirsty but i do it anyway
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Drink a small glass every time you brush your teeth and before you eat something. Have a glass before you go out the door for a walk, and again when you come back in. If it occurs to you during the day that you might be thirsty, just get up and go get a drink.

You don't have to like it, you just have to do it. Forming a habit requires do the action *until* it becomes automatic (aka habit). Get up right now, walk over to the faucet / water cooler and toss back a glass.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I rarely drink water unless I'm taking a pill. ALL fluids help hydrate the body, and I do fine with coffee and tea. I may drink a bottle of water after I work out, but sometimes I just have iced tea.

I stay well hydrated this way, but I also drink throughout the day.

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    yeah, also, that "drink gazillions of gallons of water constantly" thing is a myth. the body is really good at telling you when it's dehydrated. you'll also not get chronically dehydrated unless you're denying yourself totally. "i think i'm dehydrated" = drink water = problem solved. that's not to say there's anything to stop you drinking a tall glass in *advance* of something you think will make you sweat lots and where you won't have access to a bottle - say, before climbing a rock pitch or commuting to work on your bike or something. but other than that, don't bother being concerned; all you'll get is lots of pee.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I got in the habit of drinking water before I learned that it might be overrated. So I still drink lots.

I drink it iced and through a straw. The straw is the key for me. I can set it in front of me and sip while on the computer, etc. So much easier for me than the technique described in the second post.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Just drink it, it's water

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm actually actively cutting down on my water intake, as it got a little out of hand. The more water you drink, the more water your body sheds. This leads to a vicious cycle of thirst and dehydration. I was thirsty all the time, no matter how much I drank, and I wake up several times during the night to pee. This is getting better as I decrease my water intake. There's no need to drink a lot of water. A few glasses a day will do. Drink when you're thirsty.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann1217 View Post
    ...and I wake up several times during the night to pee.
    This was happening to me also, so I cut myself off for the most part at supper time. I still go alot during the day, so I use that time to do little mini-sets while in there undisturbed. Nobody misses me for a few extra minutes, or they just think I am taking care of other business and leave me alone. So anyways, I like to do a set of squats, calf raises, and wall push-ups before I leave. Since I was going so much, I thought it would be a good way to get in a little extra exercise. Maybe it doesnt help but I had heard it all counts, so I dont know.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast