Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How can I make myself drink water? page 3

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    There was a really interesting chapter in Fiber Menace about the dangers of drinking too much water. Drinking too much water causes us to urinate excessively, which leads to depletion of potassioum and sodium, two very important electrolytes. Below is an excerpt and a link to the site I copied it from:

If there is a connection between water consumption and constipation, its actually the complete opposite: the more water you consume, the drier the stool gets, because the excess water consumption causes the depletion of potassium with excess urination. Potassium happens to be the key mineral responsible for water retention in the stools. This very pervasive fiber-water myth is discussed in Chapter 2, Water Damage.

And, by the way, all that calcium and magnesium that your heart, teeth, joints, and bones are craving 24/7 gets pissed away as well. The more you drink, the faster...

Gut Sense: Restoring Natural Bowel Movements

So, it seems the best thing to do is drink water when you're thirsty. No stress necessary.

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member
    Nossar, obviously it is fine and good to drink water. The point is that you do not need to drink water excessively. The OP asked how he could drink more water, and the most common response seems to be that he does not need to FORCE himself to drink more water. He should only drink if/when he's thirsty, which he will most likely be at some point during the day. We all drink water. Without water, we would die. However, we do not need to chug down 8-10 glasses a day like they tell us to on the today show (or whatever).

Mamakin is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_h View Post
    Pour it into a glass or cup. Bring that vessel to your lips. The tricky part here is that you'll need to close your mouth slightly, but not all the way, or the water will not be able to enter your system. The lips should purse forward slightly to receive the water.
    Gently pour some into your mouth, swallowing before your mouth fills. It's a lot like swallowing food, except you can completely skip the chewing stage (time saver!).

When the glass is empty stop.

Repeat this 2-0 times a day depending on how active you are and the heat and humidity of your location.
    I love that this was the first reply. You remind me of my brother! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1217 View Post
    From an evolutionary perspective (that is what this is all about, after all) we probably wouldn't be drinking water all day long. Mark did a post about it a while back, I believe. Oh, yes, here it is:

Drink Less Water? | Mark's Daily Apple
    Thanks Anne!

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I agree with this. When I'm out on a backpacking trip water isn't available every step of the way. I've done segments where there might be no water at all for 20 miles or even 35 miles. My strategy for that has been to drink a liter of water at the source and carry 3 liters with me. To get that liter down, I use Crystal Light lemonade hydration mix or something like Endurolyte Fizz. Otherwise, it's difficult to drink a lot of water. I see this as sort of like intermittent fasting as far as water is concerned.

Anyway, to the OP, if you are super low carb right now and are needing more water, you might be able to just force yourself to drink a large glass while you take some magnesium and potassium supplements instead of the bare minimum to get the pills down. I went through a period where I would place a teaspoon of salt in the palm of my hand, lick the salt off in a manner that I wouldn't taste it, then wash it down quick with a whole glass of water (salt water you can taste makes me want to vomit). I did this because I don't have a habit of salting my food and I was really low on salt.
    Necessary to take magnesium/potassium supplements while low carb?

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    There was a really interesting chapter in Fiber Menace about the dangers of drinking too much water. Drinking too much water causes us to urinate excessively, which leads to depletion of potassioum and sodium, two very important electrolytes. Below is an excerpt and a link to the site I copied it from:

If there is a connection between water consumption and constipation, its actually the complete opposite: the more water you consume, the drier the stool gets, because the excess water consumption causes the depletion of potassium with excess urination. Potassium happens to be the key mineral responsible for water retention in the stools. This very pervasive fiber-water myth is discussed in Chapter 2, Water Damage.

And, by the way, all that calcium and magnesium that your heart, teeth, joints, and bones are craving 24/7 gets pissed away as well. The more you drink, the faster...

Gut Sense: Restoring Natural Bowel Movements

So, it seems the best thing to do is drink water when you're thirsty. No stress necessary.
    Great article! Maybe it's just carb flu and not dehydration.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1217 View Post
    Nossar, obviously it is fine and good to drink water. The point is that you do not need to drink water excessively. The OP asked how he could drink more water, and the most common response seems to be that he does not need to FORCE himself to drink more water. He should only drink if/when he's thirsty, which he will most likely be at some point during the day. We all drink water. Without water, we would die. However, we do not need to chug down 8-10 glasses a day like they tell us to on the today show (or whatever).
    Ann I love your attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananabonobo View Post
    yeah, also, that "drink gazillions of gallons of water constantly" thing is a myth. the body is really good at telling you when it's dehydrated. you'll also not get chronically dehydrated unless you're denying yourself totally. "i think i'm dehydrated" = drink water = problem solved. that's not to say there's anything to stop you drinking a tall glass in *advance* of something you think will make you sweat lots and where you won't have access to a bottle - say, before climbing a rock pitch or commuting to work on your bike or something. but other than that, don't bother being concerned; all you'll get is lots of pee.
    Many years ago, when Hector was a pup, I used to go to a lot of concerts and festivals and I would never drink water because I avoided the porta-potties. This feels right to me. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks to all who replied. The fatigue is maybe due to carb flu and not dehydration. I will search carb flu and see if there are any remedies! What a great community here!

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    I have the same problem. I never feel thirsty unless I eat something super salty. Otherwise I can go all day without remembering to drink anything after my morning coffee. If I try to force myself to drink water, especially early in the morning, I nearly gag, or get an upset stomach. I've tried to figure out a solution but, I figured my body knows best. If I don't feel thirsty, do I really need it? That "8 glasses of water a day" thing is a myth.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast