Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skulls of Americans "getting bigger" page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

Skulls of Americans "getting bigger"

Primal Fuel
    National Geographic.

The title says "bigger"; the text, "taller and roomier"

It's not clear why—medicine? cars? supermarkets?—but the skulls of white Americans, and perhaps of other races and nationalities, have become slightly taller and roomier, according to new forensic research. ...
    But as a quoted anthropologist points out:

... research shows a bigger cranium doesn't necessarily mean more intellect ...
    Americans' Heads Getting Bigger

A shot in the dark, but I'd be interested to know if they measured skull width as well, and if so what they found for that. I can't help thinking of Pottenger's cats, and how the mal-fed cats acquired elongated skulls (and elongated bodies with longer limbs) over several generations. Might increasing sugar in the diet give you "taller" but "narrower" skulls? AFAIK, few people in the modern developed world have fully erupted wisdom teeth: what about the skulls from 1825?

My husband is in school for anthropology, and he mentioned this the other day. He had learned about a theory that the increasing size of humans' skulls should have curbed the population growth, due to many babies not being able to be born vaginally (resulting in death of baby and mom, I assume). Yet, when we developed the c-section method, we were able to overcome this, and population continues to increase. Does this make sense? My husband explained it much more eloquently Interesting stuff, though.

billp is offline Senior Member
    Doesn't a diet over-heavy in carbs like wheat lead to people getting too tall? I am quite tall and I more or less only ate wheat until I was well into my teens.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    Doesn't a diet over-heavy in carbs like wheat lead to people getting too tall? I am quite tall and I more or less only ate wheat until I was well into my teens.
    The introduction of agriculture coincides with a marked decrease in stature and bone health in ancient Mediterraneans.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    The introduction of agriculture coincides with a marked decrease in stature and bone health in ancient Mediterraneans.
    I take it billp meant a large proportion of refined carbohydrate and in the context of adequate protein (but perhaps sub-optimal mineral and vitamin status).

In much of the Ancient Mediterranean you'd have unrefined carbohydrate -- and perhaps not enough protein, too, which isn't a problem on the whole nowadays (except perhaps with certain sub-groups such as vegetarians). That kind of diet would produce different effects.

I suspect the answer to what billp said may well be "yes". Too tall here is going to mean too tall (or long) for your robustness -- just as with Pottenger's cats. Suggestions that that has been happening have certainly been around for some time. This from a 1950s bodybuilder:

His articles went into surprising detail on the biochemical pathways through which sugar did its damage, pointing out the relation between sugar and atherosclerosis, abnormal increases in height and weight and skeletal anomalies.
    Splendid Specimens: The History of Nutrition in Bodybuilding - Weston A Price Foundation

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    Ancient alien theorists are going to love this: we're turning into greys.
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    ha ha ha i love that ancient aliens show!!! it's a laff-a-minute.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    lemme just rummage through the old skull collection here...

...we'll whad'ya they are getting bigger.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    Grumpy, do you have a reference for this? I agree with that statement, but I've been unsuccessful in finding scientific documentation on it.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Very interesting link, I'll have to spend some time delving into that soon.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast