Thread: CSA Newb - Stupid Cooking Question page

JVAMan is offline Member

CSA Newb - Stupid Cooking Question

Primal Fuel
    I just got my first share today and I need to learn some recipes for all these leafy greens I've never tried before. In the meantime, I need to make sure I actually EAT all of these before they go bad.

So I would like to start off by just pretty much cooking up my usual dinner (meat/fat & lots of veggies in a big cast-iron pan) and then simmer the greens on top at the end until their soft. Are there any problems with doing this vs. steaming/boiling??? Today we got swiss chard, collard greens, kale and a few other strange things haha...

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Go for it. I often wilt spinach on the top of a stir fry.

icz
    icz is offline Member
    Colllards might be a little tough, but you can try it if they are young enough. Or, sautee with butter and garlic, add a dash of red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Delicious!

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A great way to do Kale is to get a big roasting pan and put it over two burners of your stove top. High heat, add 3-4 Tbls olive oil and add in 1 sliced red onion and 2 gloves of minced garlic, 2 TBls of Tamari, 1 TBL rice wine vinegar and juice of a whole lemon. Stir everything around until the onions start to get translucent. Throw in the Kale and reduce to med heat. Add in a couple teaspoons of red pepper flake and cook until the kale is wilted/soft. Salt and Pepper to taste.

Collards are easy too. Get a couple of smoked ham hocks, toss them in some chicken stock (enough to cover the greens) and throw in the collards and a couple TBLS of apple cider vinegar and 4-5 gloves (smashed) of garlic. Cover and simmer until tender.

Chard I will actually slice up and cook down in a little bit of chicken stock. Then I'll add butter, a little bit of nutmeg and red wine vinegar and then top with bacon and goat cheese and carmelized red onion
    Last edited by Fernaldo; 06-06-2012 at 08:33 PM.