Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb Counts and Fiber page

sjosie25 is offline Junior Member

Talking Carb Counts and Fiber

Shop Now
    Just wanted to take an opinion poll. I'm trying to stay lower on carbs for weight loss purposes. Do most people count all carbs, or remove the fiber like has been taught on other diets? I have so far been counting all carbs toward my overall count and trying to keep it below 100 and closer to 50 on most days.

Any thoughts??

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjosie25 View Post
    Just wanted to take an opinion poll. I'm trying to stay lower on carbs for weight loss purposes. Do most people count all carbs, or remove the fiber like has been taught on other diets? I have so far been counting all carbs toward my overall count and trying to keep it below 100 and closer to 50 on most days.

Any thoughts??
    Eat vegetables...almost impossible to eat too high carb if you stick to veg.
    PS
    Smother them in butter.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    The fiber is indigestible so do not count it in your total.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Eat vegetables...almost impossible to eat too high carb if you stick to veg.
    PS
    Smother them in butter.
    Nothing better than some grass fed butter! I think I'll skim off the fruit a bit and only get carbs from the veggies. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The fiber is indigestible so do not count it in your total.
    Good call, thank you!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Well if you are specifically following the PB then you count all carbs, but I don't completely agree with that stance.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Well if you are specifically following the PB then you count all carbs, but I don't completely agree with that stance.
    Wow really? I couldn't find searching in his blog where he actually says either way whether you count the total carbs or the effective carbs. I know that Protein Power had you ignoring the fiber portion and counting only the sugars. Maybe that's why I always thought I was on a way lower carb diet all along because I started with Protein Power.

I don't really count them anymore actually. I just favor the meats and fats and choose starches over fruits when I'm being healthy and sugar over fructose when I'm looking for a treat.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    No not counting carbs.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Wow really? I couldn't find searching in his blog where he actually says either way whether you count the total carbs or the effective carbs. I know that Protein Power had you ignoring the fiber portion and counting only the sugars. Maybe that's why I always thought I was on a way lower carb diet all along because I started with Protein Power.

I don't really count them anymore actually. I just favor the meats and fats and choose starches over fruits when I'm being healthy and sugar over fructose when I'm looking for a treat.
    How to Succeed with the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple Towards the bottom of the page (almost very end of page one) in the comments Mark says it.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yep, Mark does go by total carbs. And I think most posters here follow suit. I don't really think it matters that much which method of counting you choose as long as you pick a system and stick with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast