Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is There A Way To Mitigate The Effects Of Eating Non-Primal Foods? page

econ is offline Member

Is There A Way To Mitigate The Effects Of Eating Non-Primal Foods?

Primal Fuel
    Hypothetically, if someone knew that they were going to be eating some grains and/or sugars on a certain day, is there anything that they could do before or after to help the body deal with these? For example, would fasting the whole day leading up to the meal, or maybe fasting the next day until dinner help? Or would it be beneficial to skip eating fruits that day or the next day, to do a little damage control? Or would it help to have a really intense workout the day of or the day after (like sprinting, for example)?

Occasionally, I have days where I know I'm going to be unable to completely avoid grains/sugars, so I'm wondering if there's anything that I can do to make the best of a bad situation.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I guess you could go VLC the day before, so that your body was depleting your glucose stores from the liver. Then when you have 'too much', your body can siphon as much of the excess off as possible into the liver.

econ is offline Member
    I'm guessing VLC means "very low carb"?

camel is offline Senior Member
    Take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a bit of water with the carby or sugary meal (or take apple cider vinegar caplets). Even regular white vinegar will do the trick.

"Apple cider vinegar does display some interesting benefits for diabetics. In one study, ten type 2 diabetics, eleven insulin resistant non-diabetics, and eight insulin sensitive non-diabetics were given 20 grams of apple cider vinegar (or a placebo) two minutes prior to a bagel, butter, and orange juice meal. The vinegar drink reduced postprandial glucose and insulin spikes in the insulin resistant, and both diabetics and insulin resistant non-diabetics enjoyed greater total body insulin sensitivity in response to the high carb meal after drinking cider vinegar. In another study, a pre-bedtime snack of two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and a bite of cheese led to slight improvements in waking blood glucose levels in type 2 diabetics.

Dear Mark: Apple Cider Vinegar, DNA Damage, Lactaid, and Miracle Noodles | Mark's Daily Apple

I also take Bitter Melon and Cinnamon as they do simillar things that helps mitigate the bad effects.

Here's other good reading on the subject:

Post Holiday Recovery:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/post-...#axzz1x3ZaZAff
    Last edited by camel; 06-06-2012 at 04:19 PM.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by econ View Post
    I'm guessing VLC means "very low carb"?
    Yes, sorry.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    How are they unavoidable? Is someone force feeding you? The only way you will ingest them is if you pick up the food and put it in your mouth.

Licorice is offline Junior Member
    Eat it with fat or protein if you can. When I know I will have to have bread, I try and have it with avocado to mitigate the effect of the grains.

Surely you don't need to sweat it too much if it is just now and then? Doing your best on most days is great, most people eat badly for almost every meal. The odd bit of somethinig not great for you is not going to hurt unless there is a medical condition.

Heck, we plan our cheat days, and find it is an important part of staying clean for the rest of the week.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Eat a bunch of saturated fat- either butter or coconut oil, has an anti-inflammatory effect and also blocks negative effects of the PUFAs in grains.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Iif I'm eating something that's not so healthy, I'm way more concerned about inflammation and autoimmune reponse rather than gaining weight. So when you ask about mitigating the bad effects, it depends on whether you mean in terms of fat gain, or overall negative health.

If you're concerned with weight gain, going low carb and depleting your carbs with some strength training will ensure that the carbs you do eat get stored as glucogen rather than fat. You could also time your high grain/sugar foods with your workout - a lot of bodybuilders eat high glucose/low fat meals directly after weightlifting because spiking insulin then is actually really beneficial in terms of shuttling nutrients to the muscles.

If you're concerned with overall health, then really the best thing to do is no to eat unhealthy foods too often, and you'll want to take extra good care of yourself - good sleep, eat plenty of healthy, densely nutritious foods, and help your body detox - maybe take some hot baths with epsom salt. You could also go the route of taking activated charcoal shortly after eating - it binds to toxins and helps to transport them outta the body. Only down side is that activated charcoal can also bind to medecine and possibly nutrients in food, so you don't want to take too close to taking supplements or birth control, or anything you actually want your body to absorb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast