Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Weeks into Primal page

rachbebe is offline Junior Member

3 Weeks into Primal

Shop Now
    Ugh, today is not going well. I have fallen off the proverbial wagon for a slight moment of Peanut M&Ms. Yes I know what the peanut M&Ms do to me. Yes I'm trying to control my Bipolar Disorder with this diet and the M&Ms are derailing my otherwise current success. But, it's 3pm on Wednesday and the 3 o'clock munchies hit me hard. My friend Jen would say it's because I'm not eating enough fat to satiate me and she just might have a point. I feel awful for my transgression, but I realize I can get right back on after I have finished these candy covered morsels of satan and I'll be perfectly fine. I'll make sure to continue eating primally and tomorrow I'm going to bring primal snacks so this doesn't happen again. I'll also see about having more butter and fat in my lunch so I can stay satiated.

My name is Rachel and I am trying my hardest to be Primal. I started on Friday May 18th, 2012. I have instantly seen an improvement in my mood, my energy levels and all sorts of things. I sadly, have not lose any weight. I have noticed that my waist has thinned some and I actually have time for my family. I am not moody and cranky and tired all the time. Just the mental health benefits alone are reason enough to stay on this diet for the rest of my life, my problem is this... I'm overeating. I'm binge eating constantly. I haven't been able to stop since I had a miscarriage and despite me feeling better about it I'm still having uncontrollable urges to eat constantly. I somehow think I'm ALWAYS hungry and I cannot seem to Intermittent Fast yet. My goal is to lose just 10lbs. That's all I really need to lose. I'm healthy at 125lbs, but I can't seem to get there. I can't seem to stop eating constantly and I don't know what to do.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on this. I'm really struggling. I'm weightlifting 2 times a week and I'm Sprinting for about 15 minutes in intervals on Sundays. How can I possibly recover from this constant binge eating I am doing? I really really hope you guys can give my some good input.

Thanks!
    ~Rachel
    Last edited by rachbebe; 06-06-2012 at 02:19 PM.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Can't ... read .. bright purple text.....

TCates190 is offline Senior Member
    If you can't stop eating constantly it probably means you're not eating enough at meal times, and like you said, not enough fat.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    My friend Jen would say it's because I'm not eating enough fat to satiate me and she just might have a point.
    The thing that made everything 'click' for us was eating large fat filled breakfasts. For example, this morning we had pan fried leftover potatoes in lard along with mushrooms, sausages and an egg. With lots of salt sprinkled on top (don't know why. i just crave salt more not eating primally, something i never did before going primal. maybe i stopped eating things with lots of hidden salt).

That's going to be enough to get me through until dinner, so not only am I comfortably full right now, I can easily slip in an IF during the working day.

Regarding your binge eating, it sounds like there's a little more going on than just food (I am sorry to hear about your miscarriage). Please forgive yourself if you feel that is what is necessary. And also, have a bunch of 'good' foods around that you give yourself carte blanche to snach on. Fruit, Nuts, Boiled Eggs, Sliced cheese, Carrot sticks etc.

p.s. If your body is changing shape then aren't you achieving the things you were wanting? Isn't body fat% more important than total lbs?

primalmontana is offline Senior Member
    When I allow myself non-primal foods or anything sweet, that usually sends me into a binge mode that lasts a couple days. Do you allow yourself little "cheats?" If so, do these cheats lead to binging? Something to consider. I usually don't allow myself anything I know to be a trigger. If I want a little dark chocolate, almond butter or nuts (triggers for me) I actually have them when I am not craving them. This seems to help keep portions down. If I have something when I'm really craving it, I usually end up raving my daughters non-primal shelf in the pantry.

Also, look at what your habits are. Do you eat out of boredom at night in front of the tv? Maybe cut out that habit for a week or so and see if it helps. I stopped watching tv for a few weeks b/c I love popcorn while watching movies

NobleSavage is offline Member
    To me, the binge eating sounds like its emotionally induced. You may not even realize it. I 'used' to binge eat (and i pray mentioning it is not hybris that'll lead to a new plunge) untill i suddenly realized that i did it EVERY time i had a large assignment or was stressed out over returning to high school which i hated. Now that i'm done its quickly becoming easier.
    My point is, you could have an underlying problem (ie miscarriage) that you're not properly adressing, which causes you to binge to 'forget' or 'submerge' it in the escapism that binge eating can be.

How tall are you btw? 125lbs doesn't sound like alot.

I am 5'2" and I currently weigh 131lbs. I was 121lbs for the last 3 years and then after the miscarriage I went from 125 to 135 in the matter of about a month and a half. That's how I know it was unhealthy weight. I easily maintained 121lbs for years and then whammo I have this awful thing happen and I can't stop eating. I have discussed it in therapy. I have done a lot and the thing that seems to have helped the most is today being aware of what I'm eating and why I'm eating. Normally I snack at my desk at work. Today I brought an apple and an orange along with my salad and roast beef rolls. Surprisingly the sausage links I had for breakfast seem to be holding me over much better than my usual breakfast of berries and milk. Perhaps I'll switch to eating a larger breakfast with higher fat things. Plus last night I made it a point to eat the fat on my buffalo ribeye first. Right now I'm thinking of putting off lunch until I'm hungry. I used to eat at 11:00am on the dot, but now I'm trying to see if it is possible for me to Intermittent Fast until I am hungry. I think my mind has been playing games on me. But 125lbs is decent for someone who is 5'2" my goal is to lose just a few more pounds and really tone up.

andyTHFC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rachbebe View Post
    Perhaps I'll switch to eating a larger breakfast with higher fat things.
    A high fat breakfast helps a ton. Lately, I've been making a coconut milk smoothie in the morning and I'm good to go 'till lunchtime with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by andyTHFC View Post
    A high fat breakfast helps a ton. Lately, I've been making a coconut milk smoothie in the morning and I'm good to go 'till lunchtime with no problem.
    Do you put anything else in your smoothie besides coconut? I have coconut milk in cans in my cupboard. Do you use the whole can or how much? I can find coconut to be overly sweet.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I'm healthy at 125lbs, but I can't seem to get there. I can't seem to stop eating constantly and I don't know what to do.
    Logical fallacy. Just because you're at a healthy weight doesn't mean you're healthy. Despite the M&M's, you're on the right track now. Forget about the weight, worry about your health and I bet the weight issue will self-correct. Best of luck. Lots of support here if you need it, but stick to the basics and don't get mired up in the minutiae.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast