Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This just in from the Senate of Canada page

Patrick is offline Senior Member

This just in from the Senate of Canada

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just heard this a few minutes ago. To quote Senator Seidman in her speech in the Senate re: the creation of a National Health and Fitness Day in Canada:

"For example, lowering consumption of refined sugars and grains can help maintain a healthy weight and reduce the risk of developing type-2 diabetes. [...] In short, proper nutrition is fundamental to good health. Therefore, it is crucial that fitness initiatives such as this one be accompanied by an emphasis on diet and nutrition. Diet may be one of the simplest and most effective tools to improve overall health."

Well well well.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

patski is offline Senior Member
    WOW!

How I love being Canadian!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Yay! Glad someone in Ottawa is saying it.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Timthetaco Guest
    I hate to be a pessimist, but are you excited because you think she meant all grains instead of just refined? Because I don't think she did.

Baby steps, dude.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Hey, a Primal senator, maybe?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Here's hoping someone who knows what she's talking about can bring about some meaningful change. Probably not, though.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

spughy is offline Senior Member
    And people were wanting to ditch the senate because it's just a bunch of stodgy old status-quo-promoters...

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Fantastic...do you have a link?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

I will tomorrow morning. I posted the above within 10 minutes of the speech being given (in public) in the chamber. Hansard itself won't be published til mid-morning, though, so gotta wait for that.

That said, most of the speech item (a motion to create a national day for fitness and health) was more focused around fitness than diet. That's partially why I found it interesting she would in her speech slip over to the topic of diet in a "Well, you know... fitness is great, but diet is foundational" sort of way. Made me do a double-take, in a good way.

This is the Notice Paper motion item, though, if you're interested:

No. 81. (motion)
    April 26, 2012—Resuming debate on the motion of the Honourable Senator Raine, seconded by the Honourable Senator Wallin:

That the Senate of Canada urge the Government of Canada to encourage local governments from coast to coast to coast to collaborate in choosing one day annually to make their health, recreational sports, and fitness facilities available to citizens at a reduced or complimentary rate, with the goals of promoting the use of those facilities and improving the overall health and well-being of Canadians for the reasons that:

(a) although Canada's mountains, oceans, lakes, forests, and parks offer abundant opportunities for physical activities outdoors, an equally effective alternative opportunity to take part in physical activities is offered by indoor health, recreational sports, and fitness facilities;

(b) despite its capacity to be a healthy and fit nation, Canada is experiencing a decline in participation rates in physical activities, with this decline having a direct consequence to health and fitness;

(c) local governments operate many public facilities that promote health and fitness, and those facilities could be better utilized by their citizenry;

(d) there is a growing concern in Canada over the rise in chronic diseases, which are attributable, in part, to inactivity and in turn can cause other impediments to achieving and maintaining a healthy lifestyle;

(e) health and fitness should be promoted and encouraged by all levels of government, to Canadians of all ages and abilities; and

(f) we aspire to increase participation by Canadians in activities that promote health, recreational sports, and fitness.—(Honourable Senator Plett)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast