Thread: Triathon Mid Race Nutrition... page

cjeber02 is offline Junior Member

Triathon Mid Race Nutrition...

Shop Now
    Good Afternoon Everyone,

I'm wondering if some people on here can advise me on what to eat mid race. I'm racing a sprint triathlon this weekend and I'm not overly concerned about that race given it's short. I think I can complete that one no problem without added nutrition. The following week I am doing an Olympic distance race. That one has me a little more concerned. I feel like I should eat something at least coming out of T2. Has anyone found anything good to try. I'm leaning towards just a banana and some berries, but I thought there might be some other ideas out there.

On a side note, I started paleo 12/31/11 @ 312 pounds. I migrated to primal when I found Mark's Daily Apple. As of yesterday, I weighed in at 244 pounds and I haven't felt this good ever.

Grok On!

Chris

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    Nice job man - going from 312 to doing an Olympic triathlon is a major accomplishment. For a sprint race you shouldn't need anything and are better off spending that time racing to get the best possible time...maybe a few swigs of gatorade on the ride but that's about it.

For the olympic, you should definitely be focused on carbs, minimal to no fat, avoiding fiber (you want nutrition that's accessible right now), and maybe minimal protein.

To be quite honest, though people tend to vilify these sorts of things in this forum, you should really consider products specifically for this purpose such as GU and Gatorate. The average Joe Blow has no business chugging Gatorade throughout the day at his office, but you will be in the special situation these products are designed for: quickly replenishing depleted glycogen stores and lost salt through presperation. Hi GI/GL fruit (yes, you read that right folks, high) is another good option, like blueberries or a banana. You wont even need that much. Good luck on your race.

Ounce is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal pete View Post
    Nice job man - going from 312 to doing an Olympic triathlon is a major accomplishment. For a sprint race you shouldn't need anything and are better off spending that time racing to get the best possible time...maybe a few swigs of gatorade on the ride but that's about it.

For the olympic, you should definitely be focused on carbs, minimal to no fat, avoiding fiber (you want nutrition that's accessible right now), and maybe minimal protein.

To be quite honest, though people tend to vilify these sorts of things in this forum, you should really consider products specifically for this purpose such as GU and Gatorate. The average Joe Blow has no business chugging Gatorade throughout the day at his office, but you will be in the special situation these products are designed for: quickly replenishing depleted glycogen stores and lost salt through presperation. Hi GI/GL fruit (yes, you read that right folks, high) is another good option, like blueberries or a banana. You wont even need that much. Good luck on your race.
    I agree on all points. And I mean ALL points. Maybe next year you could work on lower-carbing it, but get a few races under your belt and see what you think. Continued success on your weight and all those new clothes you have to buy.

cjeber02 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the information guys. I really appreciate it.

I've done a couple sprint tri's in the past, but never in conjunction with a primal diet. I'm familiar with Gu. Maybe I'll try that for the Oly race coming up. I haven't used it in training at all so I'm a little concerned about what it might do to my stomach, but I can try it on a training run to make sure it won't be a problem I suppose.

I also discovered these at my grocery store....
    Amazon.com: Nuun Active Hydration, Box of 4 Tubes: Sports & Outdoors

They seem to do well for electrolyte replenishment w/out the carb load. I like to think of it as Gatorade with out the junk. I just feel like I might need some food too. What about something like a handful of raspberries?

Regards,
    Chris

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member
    You want something that is going to digest easily and hit your blood stream quickly coming out of T2. I (in theory) like some of the gels that are real food based, like: Reload Energy Gel | 100% Natural | Ignite Naturals or you can make your own from any multitude of recipes on the internet. I tend to use Hammer gels personally. They aren't too think to swallow, they don't upset my tummy, and they work for me. I'm not sweating the fact that they might not be 100% primal.

JollyRogers is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal pete View Post

To be quite honest, though people tend to vilify these sorts of things in this forum, you should really consider products specifically for this purpose such as GU and Gatorate. The average Joe Blow has no business chugging Gatorade throughout the day at his office, but you will be in the special situation these products are designed for: quickly replenishing depleted glycogen stores and lost salt through presperation. Hi GI/GL fruit (yes, you read that right folks, high) is another good option, like blueberries or a banana.
    Agree with this advice. Those carbs taken in during moderate intensity exercise won't cause the same kind of insulin spike they would if eaten at rest. My advice, though, would be to get the calories in a bit earlier, like the last 4 or 5 miles of the ride so that you will have digested them prior to or early in the run.

I've found it much easier to digest food on the bike than running.

Ounce is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjeber02 View Post
    Thanks for the information guys. I really appreciate it.

I've done a couple sprint tri's in the past, but never in conjunction with a primal diet. I'm familiar with Gu. Maybe I'll try that for the Oly race coming up. I haven't used it in training at all so I'm a little concerned about what it might do to my stomach, but I can try it on a training run to make sure it won't be a problem I suppose.

I also discovered these at my grocery store....
    Amazon.com: Nuun Active Hydration, Box of 4 Tubes: Sports & Outdoors

They seem to do well for electrolyte replenishment w/out the carb load. I like to think of it as Gatorade with out the junk. I just feel like I might need some food too. What about something like a handful of raspberries?

Regards,
    Chris
    I'm trying the Nuun's in this training cycle. I don't carry a water bottle with me in my running, so I may switch to S!Caps, which is an electrolyte capsule. It may be better for you to use Nuun's on a bike, as I don't own a bike.

I use Fig Newtons, instead of GU. They're easy to carry and consume for me when I run. Of course it's not Primal. And maybe the Primal Board Police will not read this thread.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah. Mark has made it quite clear that endurance events are one time when you can do the gels and stuff like that. He has suggested alternatives to Gatorade but whatever works for you. Just try it all ahead of the event to make sure your body likes it. Good luck!
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.