Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "There's a Huuuuge Adult" AKA Kids say the darndest things page 3

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    The more people hear criticism, the better they learn to handle it.
    I can't agree with that. I was an obese kid and got teased by other kids (there very few obese kids at the time so I was singled out). I am a very sensitive person, too sensitive, and it was very, very hard for me. Actually it made me avoid kids and seek the company of adults. I wouldn't go out and play, I would sit at home and read instead. Yes, I knew I was fat and I knew that made mi different. And I learned quite early in life that anything that is different is singled out and targeted by others. Trust me, I didn't enjoy my childhood and I developed a complex about my appearance that I find it difficult to shake off (I am 35 now), in spite of all my achievements and my major weight loss success. So I guess it comes down to what kind of person you are and how you react to criticism. Any kind of criticism, not only about my body, makes me feel bad - angry, frustrated, guilty, whatever. And I really can't handle it well, never learned how to.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Sol y Sombra: You really need to learn how to. Otherwise, life will just suck way too much

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    learning how to accept criticism is a good thing, but not always possible. there are some who are just very sensitive, and hearing criticisms again and again will just make the situation more sensitive rather than less. i don't think it's inherent, but something that has to be worked from a different angle. everyone has their hangups, i really don't think it's up to people on the outside to try to change others.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    learning how to accept criticism is a good thing, but not always possible. there are some who are just very sensitive, and hearing criticisms again and again will just make the situation more sensitive rather than less. i don't think it's inherent, but something that has to be worked from a different angle. everyone has their hangups, i really don't think it's up to people on the outside to try to change others.
    Agreed. Everyone responds to criticism differently. Prior to primal, I would ignore any criticism about my weight. "It wasn't their body, wasn't their business, so leave me the eff alone," I thought to myself. It took seeing a close friend of mine lose weight and keep it off to finally convince me to give primal a shot.

In order to change something about yourself, you have to want that change. You can't have others determine it for you otherwise the change won't stick or won't happen in the first place IMO.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I'm not saying that my way of accepting criticism easily to improve myself is the best and only way to go. But I"m just saying that it makes life a hell of a lot easier because of the way and frequency in which others dole out criticism.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Mum tells my sister and me a funny tale from our infancy. When I was a few months old and Vicki, my sister, was nearly 4, Mum went to the sales. She was busy pushing the stroller trough the store with Viocki trailing behind and suddenly realised Vivki had stopped and looked very mutinous (no one does mutinous looks like her!). Mum asked her what was wrong. The response, at the top of her voice, naturally, was:

"It's OK for you, you can see nice stuff but all I can see is FAT LADIES' BOTTOMS. In my FACE."

Mum exited that store fairly smartly!
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

kaylaerin is offline Junior Member
    When I was in kindergarden, my mom's best friend, who happened to be over 300 lbs., told me she was "practically perfect in every way," a la Merry Poppins. All I had to say was " No, Merry Poppins wasn't fat." My mom was mortified but her friend just said, "It's true."

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    I once got in a conversation with a little pre-school boy who kept trying to put his hands on my tummy at work. he said, "Are you pregnant?"

I said, "No"

"Then what's in there"

"A lot of food"

"You must have eaten a lot of food" - eyes wide with shock and awe

"Yes, yes I did"

LOL . . . .

Of course any low self-esteem I might have got from that conversation was all erased on the day I wore a long brick red maxi dress to school. Before story time with the ECE class one of the little girls told me "You look like a princess" - BEST. COMPLIMENT. EVER!
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
    I once got in a conversation with a little pre-school boy who kept trying to put his hands on my tummy at work. he said, "Are you pregnant?"

I said, "No"

"Then what's in there"

"A lot of food"

"You must have eaten a lot of food" - eyes wide with shock and awe

"Yes, yes I did"

LOL . . . .

Of course any low self-esteem I might have got from that conversation was all erased on the day I wore a long brick red maxi dress to school. Before story time with the ECE class one of the little girls told me "You look like a princess" - BEST. COMPLIMENT. EVER!
    We underestimate how observant our students are. My students notice and often compliment things about me I don 't really notice. This past year a couple of students were looking through previous years yearbooks and mentioned how much better they like my hair now as its longer etc. If you have new clothing, jewlery, hairstyle etc..they notice.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When I was a babysitting teenager, I was babysitting a boy who reached out, touched my face, and said..."Why is your nose so big?" I do have a rather prominent schnoz, and I just said "noses come in all shapes and sizes. Mine is just a big one!" he was satisfied with that answer.

I also sat for a little girl (whose mother was rather flat chested), and she reached out and grabbed my boob saying "What are these?" So funny. She's like a Senior in high school now and would probably just *die* if she knew she did that. ;-)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast