Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need Help! page

Bunnyfoot is offline Member

I Need Help!

Primal Fuel
    Alright so I haven't posted in a very long time. I got pregnant and bailed on primal for the most part, still gluten intolerant so I really never went back to grains - just ate a ton of garbage... Now that our little bundle of joy is here, we are finding out that she is very sensitive to what I put in my body. I have had to cut out Dairy, Soy (even fermented), Nuts, chocolate, caffeine and now berries - that leaves me with meat and vegetables.

I work during the day and the hubby works at night. With baby in hand, I have no time to cook - so I have been just eating mass quantities of boiled eggs, no nitrate organic deli meats when I can find them, and vegetables.

I am bored. And my stomach hurts constantly from the increased fiber. (on the up side... I am shedding the baby weight faster than I expected, but owww!)

What can I do? I am going mental. My diet lacks variety and I need quick solutions because the baby is in cling-to-mom mode and won't tolerate entertaining herself for very long. I know if I can make a good dinner, I will eat it the next day. I just need some ideas. We just bought a pig from a local farmer, so there is plenty of pork in the freezer - the bacon is uncured though and that makes me sad... pork-chop flavored bacon isn't as awesome.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Here's the WAPF's suggested dietary advice for nursing mothers. Fairly similar to primal:

Diet for Pregnant and Nursing Mothers - Weston A Price Foundation

Or there's the Healthy Baby Code:

http://healthybabycode.com/signup

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Here's the WAPF's suggested dietary advice for nursing mothers. Fairly similar to primal:

Diet for Pregnant and Nursing Mothers - Weston A Price Foundation

Or there's the Healthy Baby Code:

http://healthybabycode.com/signup
    Spot on, Lewis. +1.

She is seriously allergic to dairy proteins ...vomiting and screaming for a day or two after I ingest it, same with any soy products.
    When I eat nuts, she sheds intestinal lining.
    When I eat berries, she gets horrible diaper rash.

I will not subject her to those things. This has been a long process to find out what is bothering her and I am not about to go backwards.

I guess I just need some help figuring out what I can do with what I know I can eat... Meat, eggs, vegetables.

Thanks for the attempts though

Nady is offline Senior Member
    If you don't have a crock pot, get one! In fact, get two~ one oval for roasts, whole chicken and things like ribs, and a regular 6qt. one for soups/stews and bone broth. Best invention ever for a busy mom!

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Get a baby carrier and carry her when you're cooking (but be careful of fat splatter). Or have DH watch her and entertain her so you can batch cook on the weekends or something. Or, even better, make DH cook!!

But, my serious suggestion is the baby carrier/sling. She'll be close to you and you'll have your hands - and if you get the right one, you can even breastfeed with her in the sling! Talk about multitasking!! Cooking, breastfeeding and holding baby at once! That would qualify you as super mom, I think.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Thanks! I forgot about the crock pot. How do I make variety in a crock pot though? There are only so many things I can do with meat and vegetables. I guess my view may be somewhat limited. Life is boring without butter and pink-salted bacon.

No can - do on the hubby pitching in though, he works nights and weekends. Self-employed handyman. He watches the baby during the day and is maybe able to get a load of laundry done.

I do have a carrier, but she hates it unless we are outside and there is something to look at. Otherwise she needs to be propped on my hip. High maintenance. I must be being punished for the trouble I put my mother through

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyfoot View Post
    what I can do with what I know I can eat... Meat, eggs, vegetables.

Thanks for the attempts though
    Well, you can't get the latter attempt without signing up for it -- I don't know if it's worth it or not, but what I know of it sounds good, and it seems highly regarded in the community.

As for the WAPF's suggestions -- mightn't liver, seafood, coconut oil, lacto-fermented vegetables, and bone broths all be worth trying?

Yes, to all the remaining. It is just a matter of being able to prepare all that one handed without destroying it. I am notorious for burning meat, our stove only has two settings when I cook...on or off.

I am allergic to shellfish so kimchee is out

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Get a baby carrier and carry her when you're cooking (but be careful of fat splatter). Or have DH watch her and entertain her so you can batch cook on the weekends or something. Or, even better, make DH cook!!

But, my serious suggestion is the baby carrier/sling. She'll be close to you and you'll have your hands - and if you get the right one, you can even breastfeed with her in the sling! Talk about multitasking!! Cooking, breastfeeding and holding baby at once! That would qualify you as super mom, I think.
    I was going to say this too! Find a good baby carrier retailer and get them to show you how to do a hip-carry with a ring sling or Ergo-type carrier. It's easy! With both hands free, you'll find it much easier to take care of yourself. I loved the freedom my Ergo carrier gave me, and I had no help at home so I understand where you're coming from!

Also, it's okay to eat other fruits besides berries. Strawberries especially can be very allergenic. Try apples, pears, and bananas - things that are lower on the allergy scale... so you can get a little flavor variety. Look for recipes you can put together and stick in the oven or crock pot, so you're not spending as much time actively standing at the stove (google "primal roast", "paleo crock pot", and other such phrases - there are tons of good recipes out there). Make large quantities of recipes you love while she's napping, and divide it into single portions to freeze or refrigerate. Buy a variety of veggies you like to eat raw and cut them into bite size snacks so you can grab and eat one-handed.
    Last edited by Danielle5690; 06-06-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast