Thread: newbie overwhelmed! Where do I start?! page

Evbois is offline Junior Member

newbie overwhelmed! Where do I start?!

Hi, I'm about to embark on PBL but I'm so overwhelmed with the number of books, articles, information (here, at Amazon/bookstore, free versus paid, etc.) that I don't know where to begin. Can someone recommend the one or two essential reads/resources I should start with? I'm specifically wondering where and how I find out what I need for my calorie/protein intake, and other essential logistics. I'm a pretty fit and active athlete who's a decent eater but definitely needs some change. In particular, I feel like I've been in a health/nutrition/exercise rut for 6 years and I'm clawing my way out starting with PBL!
    Thanks for your help. I can't wait to begin this journey.
    Eve

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Here is where to start:

Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

One or two essential reads? Here is what's currently the best two to start with:

Amazon.com: The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram your genes for effortless weight loss, vibrant health, and boundless energy (Primal Blueprint Series) (9780982207789): Mark Sisson: Books

Amazon.com: The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet (9780982565841): Robb Wolf, Loren Cordain Ph.D.: Books

Calorie/protein intake? For the protein intake see the formulae Mark gives in Primal Blueprint 101 (first link above).

His standard recommendation is 0.7 g of protein for every pound of lean body mass. You can work out lean body mass roughly with a calculator, such as this one:

Diet Calculator, Body Fat Calculator

If you're doing very demanding activities Mark suggests upping that to 1 g per every pound of lean body mass.

As for calories, don't worry too much: that should tend to sort itself out on a paleo/primal diet. You just "eat to satiety". If you're hungry you eat a little more; if you're not, don't force it down to meet an abstract number.

You're an athlete? Your needs might be different from those of the average person. Possibly add this book, too:

Amazon.com: The Paleo Diet for Athletes: A Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance (9781594860898): Loren Cordain, Joe Friel: Books
    Last edited by Lewis; 06-06-2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Here is where to start:

Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

One or two essential reads? Here is what's currently the best two to start with:

Amazon.com: The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram your genes for effortless weight loss, vibrant health, and boundless energy (Primal Blueprint Series) (9780982207789): Mark Sisson: Books

Amazon.com: The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet (9780982565841): Robb Wolf, Loren Cordain Ph.D.: Books

Calorie/protein intake? For the protein intake see the formulae Mark gives in Primal Blueprint 101 (first link above).

His standard recommendation is 0.7 g of protein for every pound of lean body mass. You can work out lean body mass roughly with a calculator, such as this one:

Diet Calculator, Body Fat Calculator

If you're doing very demanding activities Mark suggests upping that to 1 g per every pound of lean body mass.

As for calories, don't worry too much: that should tend to sort itself out on a paleo/primal diet. You just "eat to satiety". If you're hungry you eat a little more; if you're not, don't force it down to meet an abstract number.

You're an athlete? Your needs might be different from those of the average person. Possibly add this book, too:

Amazon.com: The Paleo Diet for Athletes: A Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance (9781594860898): Loren Cordain, Joe Friel: Books
    +1
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Evbois is offline Junior Member
    Thank you both! Tremendously helpful!

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    This forum is NOT the place to start as there is a lot of info down in the weeds, conflicting advice, etc. The forum is a place to get deeply, deeply confused at the outset.

Please start with mark's writing: his blog (from the home page of the web site), the Primal Blueprint 101 posts available when you click "about" from the main page, and the book (The Primal Blueprint).

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Lewis' suggestions are spot-on. Stay away from the forum until you've read all that and are really comfortable with your understanding of it, or it will be very easy to get confused.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle5690 View Post
    Lewis' suggestions are spot-on. Stay away from the forum until you've read all that and are really comfortable with your understanding of it, or it will be very easy to get confused.
    +1
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

lotusberries is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    This forum is NOT the place to start as there is a lot of info down in the weeds, conflicting advice, etc. The forum is a place to get deeply, deeply confused at the outset.

Please start with mark's writing: his blog (from the home page of the web site), the Primal Blueprint 101 posts available when you click "about" from the main page, and the book (The Primal Blueprint).
    I completely agree with this! After reading Mark's book I started reading the website, which was great, but then started reading the forum and was confused for months. Confused and discouraged.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    this forum is useless. i spend time here out of boredom. for the love of god, do not come here for information. come here to waste time out of boredom.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post

+1 For newbies, the forum can be a great place to get encouragement. Once you know the basics, it can be a great place to get info. But we all have our own quirky takes on primal.

Hang in there! It will become clear soon! Grok on!
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial