Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discouraged by acne page

Momto3 is offline Senior Member

Discouraged by acne

Shop Now
    When I first went primal (2 years ago today!) my skin cleared up nicely. I got my first compliment on my skin! With having PCOS, and acne as one of the main symptoms, I was beyond thrilled. But the last 6 months -year I have had persistent jawline/neck acne.

Last month I went off Metformin to see how my hormones would regulate and so far so good! Except the acne. I would love to stay off Met. I have been trying treat naturally. I added in some herbal supplements for my hormones ( goat's rue & DIM) and have also done brewers yeast, fermented cod liver/high vitamin oil, probiotics. I also added kelp for the iodine.

Today I am starting the 21 day Sugar Detox.... Which cuts out dairy too. Butter is still ok. I am sure it will help me overall. I hope it helps the acne.

Right now the acne is only on my neck over the lymph nodes.

Does anyone have any insights or suggestions. I love how my body has been transforming...now I just need my skin to cooperate.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 150 - size 8/10
    Goal:130 - size 6

My Journal

ryan54 is offline Member
    Cutting out sugar and dairy should definitely help big time!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    acne is such a mystery, don't ever let anyone tell you it's simple! but for me, nuts and cheese definitely provoke a reaction. i skip those, i have clear skin. i tend to get pimples on my back (bacne) otherwise, which is just lovely.

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    Acne is a mystery.. I do know that its related to inflammation & irritation, both of which are internal influences.. Sugar & dairy should eliminate inflammation.. Could be the soap you are using, maybe your'e washing too much, too little? using an abrasive soap?

For me, eliminating sugar really cleaned the color up in my skin & cleared things up.. I didn't have "acne" but sugar is inflammatory & when the body calms, skin should heal..

Try fasting as well.. Drinking more water, sleep better, like I said above, changing up the washing routine? I would just experiment like crazy & pay close attention to how you feel & how your skin looks from washing & eating a certain way for a period of time.. Every body is different, there is no one on this forum that can tell what works.. Your body & skin is unique, experirment with it.. Sleep, sugar, dairy, dehydration, stress, facial soap should all be critical variables in your experiment

Lastly, I cut CARBS out almost completely & my skin looks better than ever.. Carbs drive insulin, that drive INFLAMMATION.. Potatoes destroy my gut, make my skin look horrible, as well as rice, etc.. Only veggies for me, & a piece of fruit once a day.. Apparantly its a sin around here to lower carbs below 50g a day, but after I went to a Very LOW carb plan, my skin, hair, & teeth shine.. I think Carbs a problem for my body, may be for yours too.. May want to try & cut them back all together, see if your body calms down (raise fats)
    Last edited by abc123; 06-06-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    NB: one full stop at the end of sentences. Not two.. okay, grammar rant over, all in good humor.

I've tried everything from antibiotics, veganism, restricting dairy, restricting wheat, going Primal, going totally paleo, cutting sugar, aaaaaand... I still get acne. And not just the teenager kind - I get that, plus the cystic kind, and worse now at age 30 than at age 20. (I just spent some time looking at teenage photos of me and I was like, wait, really?!) Once I even developed cellulitis in my face and a fever. The only thing I haven't tried is a formalized GAPS trial, because it seemed too consuming, not very data-rich (and therefore unconvincing to me as a science geek), and it didn't sound like I would be able to see results in a way that would convince me in a data set of one.

The only thing I've found that works is very low dose isotretinoin/accutane/roaccutane, whatever you call it where you live. This is not by the usual method of high-dose, high-side effect, short term route. I go off the grid (definitely not MD-approved) and take about 40 mg weekly. (I take a 20mg capsule on a Wednesday and a Sunday, ish - plus loads of drug holidays where I just don't take any whatsoever for a couple of months.) It seems to have knocked off all the side effects, my skin looks clear and bright and has finally - FINALLY, after months and months and months of hell - healed up from all the inflammation that was in it before. Now I can do things like go camping and not wash my face at precise 12-hour intervals with distilled spring water and organic coconut oil or whatever without immediately getting five pus-filled cysts with big red margins all over the place.

So this approach might not work for you, or you might be scared of all the terrifying (and slightly internet-hyped) side effects, or you might be one of those people for whom if you can't see the drug coming from the plant itself, the drug is bad. Or it might be that you weigh some of the admittedly unknown side-effects here in my experiment of n = 1 where there has been zero long term survey. But, I choose to look at it as worth it, because I get my life back, I get to do Primal things (like go play outside at will! and wear hats in the sun! and jump in rivers!) without making my skin actually hurt, and I don't have to spend an extra 2 hours a day trying in vain to put on concealer. Also, I see being Primal as a bulwark against any potential side effects I might be incurring. That is, maybe accutane is doing me a little damage - fine, I'm willing to accept a little damage for not being hideous and I think that the life I gain in not being hideous/inflamed all the time is helping me be healthy enough that any damage is getting continuously fixed up by my own body.

Best of luck. There's a lot of advice out here. Loads of us here have "that one thing" that worked for us, so enjoy plowing through the stacks.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I'm not sure what caused my acne honestly, think it may have been related to thyroid dysfunction, low calorie dieting, inadequate saturated fats, and eating too many PUFAs- fish didn't trigger it but it didn't improve it either. I don't think dairy caused it.

Maybe consult a professional:
    Lita Lee's Online Store for Digestive Enzymes and Nutritional Products
    http://eastwesthealing.com/

zizou is offline Senior Member
    I'm on GAPS diet effectively right now, and i've noticed a meat+fat+veggies diet calms everything down and occasionally i will notice my skin to be somewhat glowing and redness down. Dairy (particularly cheese for some reason) and most nuts (unless really well prepared) seem to affect me definitley. Sugar isn't an issue for me because i don't crave it, but if i consumed it regularly i would say it would cause inflammation.

Carbs like rice and potatoe probably do contribute for me, but i plan on having 1 serving of either a week when i feel confident to reintroduce them. Nightshades is another possibility to look into, as i suspect it may cause some joint pains in me which i believe is a form of inflammation so there you go.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I can't offer any additional insights upon the cause of acne, since I also agree that the cause of acne is complicated and varies from person to person. What has worked for me, outside of a healthful diet, is a topical 20% salicylic acid peel, used once a week. I got mine on Amazon (unaffiliated) 6 months ago and I think it saved my face.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    I thought that going primal had helped but I think it was just that the antibiotics I came off, in an attempt to be completely clean and help my gut, took a while to get out of my system, because this month it came back with a vengeance! It is difficult for me to pin point as my acne is soooo bad when I am due on, then clears somewhat afterwards for about a week then starts the slippery slope towards a whole chin/neck/jaw-line full before my next period.

I have just started the whole 30 to see if cutting out dairy will help with the problem, my skin is healing this week, but I have just finished my monthlies so I can't judge if it's the lack of dairy or the hormones (hopefully the former). Cutting out dairy is my last ditch attempt before I probably go back on the anti-biotics. However I have seen that one persons cure is not another's, so I don't think there are any hard and fast rules, whilst there tend to be regular culprits, I guess it's each to their own?
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    badbunny - beware - it was long-term antibiotics that made the beasts in my face get resistant and have a cellulitis party. but, best of luck cos even though we're all in this together... it's going to be totally different things that work for all of us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast