Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Discouraged by acne page 2

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Going off dairy helps me with my skin -- I have a recurring bumpy rash just beneath my elbows, and when I'm off dairy, the rash recedes. It's still there, but it's much, much less red/bumpy. And my facial skin also tends to clear up when I'm off dairy.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    My acne on the jawline is apparently hormonal. If I go off birth control is flares up and fast. Even when I tried at 37, I got the awful rush of High school all over again. I got the Mirena and within 3 weeks it was completely gone. Now I realize you want a more natural resolution, but if all else fails, it might be something to think about.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    I've tried Accutane (twice) and Minocycline too. Soaps, natural soaps, cleanses, alcohol solutions. You name it.
    At the end, they were useless, and it always came back with revenge.
    Don't try to beat your skin into submission with drugs - your body will not give up.
    The more you try to dry it out with chemicals, the more oil it will produce.
    When you "clean" it you are stripping your skin's first defense.

What's helping me is:
    For the skin-gut connection: Going primal really helped, as well as totally cutting out dairy and nightshades. Personally, I avoid eating lots of bananas as they block my belly, which gives me acne. Also, watch your Omega-6 intake.
    Omelets give me acne, but boiled eggs don't. Maybe the frying oxidizes the O6? I honestly don't know.
    I'm following GAPS diet which seem to work. Basically, primal with no dairy/nightshades + broth and fermented foods, to heal your guts and get some good bacteria in you.

Excess sugar: Fruits must be limited and should be eaten on empty stomach. When eaten in large quantities, fruits make me break out. Stay away from the high sugar content fruits and don't eat too many fruits together. Avoid insulin spikes!

Stay active: Move our body. Take breaks when you sit in front of the computer, walk around, move your body!

For the skin itself: I quit using soaps. Every soap, even the natural ones, dry your skin. You don't want that. Your body will adjust if you let it. I smell great and my hair looks great, even if I don't use soap or deodorant.
    "But Gilleh, what about all that oil coming out of my pores?" -
    The first time I tried going poo-less it was an oily mess.
    Like I said, there is an adjustment period - you'll probably flare a bit while you're on it.
    The second time I tried going poo-less, I was (and still am) drinking Dandelion tea (which Knifegill in this forum told me about)
    The tea empowers your skin, shrinking your pores and the bottom line is - makes your skin produce less (far less!) oil.
    You can get it in your garden or at the nature-shop. Eat the roots too.
    Dandelion capsules didn't do the trick for me, go for the natural stuff.

Sun: The sun makes my skin glow and strong. I get a few hours of it every weekend.
    Pay attention for the fact that when you're on Accutane/Minocycline, you should avoid the sun, hence you avoid the real cure.
    If you're on one of them, 1. Stay off the sun! 2. Throw the capsules away.

Avoid hot water. I shower with cold water - few minutes when I wake up and before I sleep.
    Just rinse myself and go over my body with my hands. Makes me feel great and clean.
    When I use to take hot showers, my skin looked terrible - tired, sore and zitty.

Don't use bleach or any hard stuff to wash your floor. You inhale the fumes which kill the good bacteria inside you.

For supplements, I supplement with Zinc, Vitamin D, Probiotics and Omega 3.
    I read that Acne made be triggered by iodine deficiency but I've yet to try eating seaweed.

Acne is a western disease - primal cultures don't get it (even with their lack of soaps! or maybe because of it?)
    Think about Inuits or Africans.

Healing your skin takes time. It's not a short fight and there's no overnight solution,
    but I do believe the body, being resilient, will heal itself when given the right nutrients and taking off all the toxins.
    Speaking of which, I hope I don't need to tell you one of the hardest things to do - take your hands of your face!
    The more you touch it, the more it produces more oil.
    Getting a facial from time to time can be great, but please - keep your own hands off.

Chill with the booze. Beer, as much as I love it, gives me acne in high dosages.
    When I drink red wine, my face gets all warm and red.
    If you're still drinking tap water, don't. The fluoride is bad for your acne.

And that's what I know about acne.
    Last edited by Gilleh; 06-16-2012 at 07:00 AM.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    I've tried Accutane (twice) and Minocycline too. Soaps, natural soaps, cleanses, alcohol solutions. You name it.
    At the end, they were useless, and it always came back with revenge.
    Don't try to beat your skin into submission with drugs - your body will not give up.
    The more you try to dry it out with chemicals, the more oil it will produce.
    When you "clean" it you are stripping your skin's first defense.

What's helping me is:
    For the skin-gut connection: Going primal really helped, as well as totally cutting out dairy and nightshades. Personally, I avoid eating lots of bananas as they block my belly, which gives me acne. Also, watch your Omega-6 intake.
    Omelets give me acne, but boiled eggs don't. Maybe the frying oxidizes the O6? I honestly don't know.
    I'm following GAPS diet which seem to work. Basically, primal with no dairy/nightshades + broth and fermented foods, to heal your guts and get some good bacteria in you.

For the skin itself: I quit using soaps. Every soap, even the natural ones, dry your skin. You don't want that. Your body will adjust if you let it. I smell great and my hair looks great, even if I don't use soap or deodorant.
    "But Gilleh, what about all that oil coming out of my pores?" -
    The first time I tried going poo-less it was an oily mess.
    Like I said, there is an adjustment period - you'll probably flare a bit while you're on it.
    The second time I tried going poo-less, I was (and still am) drinking Dandelion tea (which Knifegill in this forum told me about)
    The tea empowers your skin, shrinking your pores and the bottom line is - makes your skin produce less (far less!) oil.
    You can get it in your garden or at the nature-shop. Eat the roots too.
    Dandelion capsules didn't do the trick for me, go for the natural stuff.

Sun: The sun makes my skin glow and strong. I get a few hours of it every weekend.
    Pay attention for the fact that when you're on Accutane/Minocycline, you should avoid the sun, hence you avoid the real cure.
    If you're on one of them, 1. Stay off the sun! 2. Throw the capsules away.

Avoid hot water. I shower with cold water - few minutes when I wake up and before I sleep.
    Just rinse myself and go over my body with my hands. Makes me feel great and clean.
    When I use to take hot showers, my skin looked terrible - tired, sore and zitty.

Don't use bleach or any hard stuff to wash your floor. You inhale the fumes which kill the good bacteria inside you.

For supplements, I supplement with Zinc, Vitamin D, Probiotics and Omega 3.
    I read that Acne made be triggered by iodine deficiency but I've yet to try eating seaweed.

Acne is a western disease - primal cultures don't get it (even with their lack of soaps! or maybe because of it?)
    Think about Inuits or Africans.

And that's what I know about acne.

Taking offense there Gilleh... it's posts like these that make people who need some medical intervention feel slut-shamed about doing so. Throwing the capsules away didn't work for me, and I think you should include the same level of caution that I do (and most others on this thread have) when saying what works for you, because it sure as hell didn't work for me. Also, when I was trying it, my life sucked because (a) it didn't change much, and (b) you really are having to restrict a hell of a lot of things. The best thing we can do is say "this is what worked for me" and not claim that "this is what I *know*" about anything.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Banana,
    It was never my intention to make anybody feel ashamed for taking ANY kind of treatment.
    I don't think there's a need to write "that is what worked for me". It's kinda obvious:
    I'll point to the fact that CW treatments, while making my Acne better for a while, only caused it to get back, angrier -
    I even started my post with this experience.
    Yes, I'm being restrictive - but it is better to rub chemicals on your body/skin, sleep with it, mess your sheets, worry if you washed your face good enough nothing's left on your face/rubbed the paste good enough so nobody can see it, chemicals pealing your skin makes it hurts, nosebleeds, migraines, sun makes you feel like you're dying, depression, alcohol burns you out, dry and wounded lips, dry eyes and the list goes on

Other than all over this (IF you need another reason), I do believe CW cures throw you off the way of true cure, true solution.
    Last edited by Gilleh; 06-07-2012 at 08:04 AM.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    The only thing that has ever had any effect on my acne is dairy. When I cut it out, my acne disappeared about 2-3 months later. I tried re-introducing dairy and even grassfed yogurt made me break out within 2-3 weeks. I tried this experiment multiple times, always with the same result, so it was pretty obvious that it was the dairy.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I don't believe dairy causes acne, listen to this radio show for more info:
    Ray Peat Milk Calcium and Hormones 06/03 by Josh Jeanne Rubin | Blog Talk Radio

You will need to do a lot of research to figure it all out & whatever you do, don't use Accutane.

dirk41 is offline Senior Member
    Try experimenting with cutting out grains, and/or dairy, and/or sugar. I've found that eliminating grains and sugar has improved my acne tremendously. Dairy, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have any negative effects on me.

yogashmoga is offline Junior Member
    i have been on a whole foods diet for a decade and cut out the grains and went primal two yrs ago. many great benefits...skin and hormone regualtion/improvement have been limited to unnoticeable. i will say spiralactone is one med that has done wonders for my hormonal breakouts (only for women) and pms symptoms. it is usually combined with birth control for best results. takes time to see results (3-4 months for me.) it blocks testosterone and aldosterone to prevent salt retention and BP issues to reugalte mood swings. improved oil on face and hair and curbs anger- the worst part for me.

i get concerned about elevated potassium levels with prolonged use, however. tried to quit taking it earlier this year with horrendous backlash from my sex glands.

*as a feminist, i hate to blame anything on being a woman. as a victim of severe and debilitating pms/pmdd/whatever the hell you wanna call it, i've gotta be honest with myself to find answers.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
    When I first went primal (2 years ago today!) my skin cleared up nicely. I got my first compliment on my skin! With having PCOS, and acne as one of the main symptoms, I was beyond thrilled. But the last 6 months -year I have had persistent jawline/neck acne.

Last month I went off Metformin to see how my hormones would regulate and so far so good! Except the acne. I would love to stay off Met. I have been trying treat naturally. I added in some herbal supplements for my hormones ( goat's rue & DIM) and have also done brewers yeast, fermented cod liver/high vitamin oil, probiotics. I also added kelp for the iodine.

Today I am starting the 21 day Sugar Detox.... Which cuts out dairy too. Butter is still ok. I am sure it will help me overall. I hope it helps the acne.

Right now the acne is only on my neck over the lymph nodes.

Does anyone have any insights or suggestions. I love how my body has been transforming...now I just need my skin to cooperate.
    Acne is not any mystery. Neither is PCOS, Fibrocystic Breast Disease, Endometriosis, Cysts, Painful Cycle. All and much more are caused by severe Iodine deficiency. I recommend the Doctor Brownstein Iodine Protocol:
    Iodine Anyone? - Page 262 | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page 262

Acne is caused by the same thing causing the severe iodine deficiency. Bromide, Fluoride & chlorine are toxic chemicals in our food & water that are displacing iodine in every cell in our body. This article explains why this is happening:
    Iodine deficiencies & dosages

Iodine is supposed to be in every cell in our body, including our skin. Unfortunately when Fluoride or Bromide invades our skin cells, the result is Fluoroderma or Bromoderma.
    Here is a great article on Fluoroderma:

The best way to detox all of these toxins is the iodine supplementation protocol, fully documented here:
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-07-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast