Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Dr. Andrew Weil gone Primal? page

Has Dr. Andrew Weil gone Primal?

Sure seem like he's shifted his message that way recently.

Check out today's HuffPo offering: don't eat lots of "small meals," try IFing, and refences to evolutionary impact on diet.

Seem to recall in my CW days that Weil was a proponent of low-fat, yet here he is saying:

It's no coincidence, I think, that obesity rates began rising rapidly in the 1980s more or less in tandem with this widespread endorsement of more frequent meals. (The other major culprit was the government's scientifically shaky "low-fat" dietary recommendation that led to rampant overconsumption of carbohydrates.)
    Welcome aboard, doctor!

Lewis is online now Senior Member
    I understand he's been moving for some time. i think he embraced saturated fats some while back. My guess would be that he's aware of Paleo and of what low-carb physicians have been saying.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Kind of makes sense, since he's the anti-inflammatory diet guy. IF is a good tool to reduce inflammation.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    His anti-inflammatory food pyramid is still not very primal but maybe he will get to that eventually.

I subscribe to him, can't remember why now, but I dont know, there is something about him. Maybe his beard just makes him look a little on the tubby side and I have a hard time taking diet advice from a tubby-ish professional. Now someone walking the walk and still a work in progress, that is different. But someone that makes his living from promoting a healthy lifestyle... I dont know. I am probably just not seeing something right. I am sure he is perfectly fine, it's probably just me. He might be at his set point and perfectly fine. Who am I to judge.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    He's still not advocating the elimination of grains from the diet, but this is a major step in the right direction from him. One can only hope he'll continue to further be enlightened!

oxide is offline Senior Member
    "that led to rampant overconsumption of carbohydrates."

I wouldn't celebrate quite yet ... sounds like he's just advocating the "moderation" approach... like Dr. Oz and Paula Deen. :roll: That said, if his CW is breaking, that's a good sign. Once CW breaks, it's usually a downhill struggle with primal/paleo waiting at the bottom.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Timthetaco Guest
    He's certainly getting there. I think he's still pretty chummy with whole grains and recommends soy "for the omega-3," but his overall message is pretty similar now.

Which is great, because people are far more likely to listen to Santa Claus than your typical paleo advocate.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    and recommends soy "for the omega-3,"
    Balancing Omega-3 and Omega-6? - Dr. Weil

In this post he advocates AGAINST consuming soy oil for the massive amounts of omega-6s that it contains. I'd hardly call that a vote of favor for soy, ESPECIALLY for its omega-3 content.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    his beard has gone primal -

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Maybe his beard just makes him look a little on the tubby side and I have a hard time taking diet advice from a tubby-ish professional.
    You're being too kind. Like another tubby doc that wrote a diet book, paging Dr. Phil.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast