Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Okay, seriously, what do I feed my picky toddler? page

CaveMama is offline Member

Okay, seriously, what do I feed my picky toddler?

Primal Fuel
    She has been eating lara bars, veggie straws (um, yeah, not actually a veggie and not paleo) and mangos for breakfast with some raw milk. And she acts terrible in the mornings. Maybe related? So, she has been informed that she can now eat only eggs or a fruit smoothie (relatively low sugar compared to mango/lara bar!) for breakfast. Ensue weeping and nashing of teeth. Oh well. She'll have to learn to love them or starve.

Lunch is always deli meat from Whole Foods with some sliced oranges, cherry tomatos, and/or broccoli.

Dinner is plain, whole milk yogurt or some chicken and cheese. Maybe some olives or cherry tomatoes.

Okay, that is literally all the paleo food that she will eat. Seriously.

She wants macaroni and cheese, peanutbutter and jelly, fried rice, pasta, goldfish, candy...etc....She would like to eat dairy and carbs constantly.

I am sick of the crying and whining and general poor behavior. I want her to grow up loving vegetables (like I do!). I know people say that their kids ate what they ate for dinner... But we eat things like curries and elaborate BAS's and she will not touch them for anything.

I work full-time and I cannot figure this out! It's a source of huge stress for me.

Daisynyc is offline Member
    Sorry, but I am going to give you that same advice: she eats what you eat, with additional things for her if you choose. I would try to nip in the bud any expectation she has that you will cook to order.

My little boys are not Primal, but there is no way I am making them nuggets while I eat a Primal dinner. If you make a BAS, cut up the protein for her and serve it with sweet potato fries, cut up avocado and fruit. If you make a curry, take out some of the cooked meat before you add the seasonings and serve it to her with rice. Maybe make curry a little less often and instead make simpler proteins. Lamb chops are always a hit with toddlers because the meat is nice a soft. Fish - hers can be served as a fish taco if you like or with cut veggies. Stir fries.

I would skip the yogurt at dinner b/c that will fill her and then she won't eat the veggies etc.

Our kids drink tons of organic milk. As I said - they are not primal. More like 50% Primal.

Also, there is a book out called "Eat Like a Dinosaur" that has fun paleo recipes geared toward children if you need more ideas.

Lastly - most important rule of parenting - don't make yourself nuts. Sounds like you're doing great with her food.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I have the same problem with my kids. For nights when my son won't eat what I've prepared, I have some charbroiled burgers in the freezer. I pop one out, heat it up and viola, primal dinner for one. last night I paired his burger with grapes and he was a happy boy. My boy tends not to like whole cuts of meat, but will eat meat that is ground.

My daughter is not so picky right now. She's 2 and will eat whole cuts of meat pretty well, but veggies are out. Our daycare ruined our kids with veggies by putting sugar on them. I refuse to put sugar on them. She will eat potatoes that have been cooked in coconut oil.

The ELaD book is pretty good and has foods that *I* like, but I don't think they're anything special aside from the fact that they gave them kid-friendly names (roast beast instead of roast beef, etc).

have you primalized chicken nuggets yet? There's a recipe in ELaD that I tried (neither of my kids ate them). If you have or find a good CN recipe that primal, please share. lol

Maybe you could do meatballs for her? Kids like meatballs. Spaghetti with rice pasta is always a hit at our house. They don't like the texture of spaghetti squash.

As for breakfast, I don't know. My kids love eggs. Daughter loves hashbrowns. Son loves bacon and sausage. But if I make a scramble with anything added to the eggs, they won't touch it.

Kids are hard. Hopefully someone has some more ideas.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Fabbecky is offline Senior Member
    I will agree that the Eat Like a Dinosaur book is fantastic for kids (and grown ups!) and to just keep feeding your daughter bits and pieces of what you are eating. I "gave up" with my 2.5yr old and 4.5 yr old. I said - this is what is for dinner. Eat or don't, those are your two choices. The 4.5 yr old now eats most of it (and finally loves steak) and the 2.5 yr picks at the little bits he likes. It helps that I do make dishes that I know they will like too, or things they request. Sometimes my 2.5yr old eats nothing but eggs and cheese for days on end, but for now, I am fine with that. Eventually he eats fruits and vegetables, and there are meals I make fairly often that he loves, so it evens out in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by L8F View Post
    ... I drank the fermented koolaid, and am totally on board...

I'm alergic to carbs - they make me break out in fat!

wendyland is offline Senior Member
    We have the same issues. My only advice is to keep trying. Offer things, but don't push the subject too much. I bought little cookie cutters in various shapes. The ones we have are fruit shapes. I found that if I cut things into cute shapes, my daughter is more willing to eat them. My middle daughter will eat just about anything if she helps cook it. Even the little ones can usually cut some things with a dinner knife. Get her involved as much as you can and make it fun. If it's a battle, no one wins.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I don't have kids so I'm not really qualified for this, but why the hell are you feeding a toddler Lara bars? From their own website: "LÄRABAR produces healthy, gluten free energy bars made from minimal, pure ingredients." Lots and lots of fructose. If it's a convenience thing maybe you could make your own ahead of time with less sweet ingredients in the ratio.

I'm no good on how to get them to eat anything else, but I don't think I'd give those to a toddler.

again, my disclaimer that I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to wee youngsters. Good luck

CaveMama is offline Member
    Carl, indeed you do not. And in my original post I said that I was banning them and offering her only eggs or smoothies in the AM.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Ah, I just misread one sentence in your post. No worries and no cause for alarm.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    YOU decide what and when, SHE decides if and how much. Just keep putting clean, unprocessed, nutrient rich foods in front of her and let her choose. SHE WILL NOT STARVE if she skips a meal or snack. Being HUNGRY an being MALNOURISHED are not the same thing.

Don't panic if her daily intake is unbalanced. It will all average out over the week, especially if you change what you offer from day to day. Always offer at least one thing you know she'll eat at every meal, but not the same favorite food every time. Make portions *tiny* (like a tablespoon) and let her know she can have more of anything if she finishes the little bit that's on her plate.

I am sick of the crying and whining and general poor behavior. I want her to grow up loving vegetables (like I do!). I know people say that their kids ate what they ate for dinner... But we eat things like curries and elaborate BAS's and she will not touch them for anything. I work full-time and I cannot figure this out! It's a source of huge stress for me.
    Have some patience. Most kids don't "grow up loving" all kinds of veggies. Its an acquired taste and texture, and they will often flip flop on what they like and don't like from week to week. If you start them off on mac&cheese and goldfish crackers, of course they're going to resist clean, unprocessed foods. And be realistic...you want her to like what you like, but she has grown up eating 'kid food' instead. If you know she resists "elaborate" meals, then dial it back for a while. Often kids will eat the same ingredients if you keep them simple, so put the same foods on her plate as you're eating, without the fancy sauces and toppings.

Don't let her see you sweat. Ignore the meltdowns...its a manipulation. Preschoolers have nothing better to do than push boundaries. Its not a fight if you don't let her push your buttons. Show her with your actions that this is not a topic that is up for debate. A toddler - or preschooler for that matter - is too young to be reasoned with. "Because I said so" is completely appropriate at that age. YOU are the grownup, you've done the research, you understand nutrition better than she does.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

ezeflier is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    YOU decide what and when, SHE decides if and how much. Just keep putting clean, unprocessed, nutrient rich foods in front of her and let her choose. SHE WILL NOT STARVE if she skips a meal or snack. Being HUNGRY an being MALNOURISHED are not the same thing.

Don't panic if her daily intake is unbalanced. It will all average out over the week, especially if you change what you offer from day to day. Always offer at least one thing you know she'll eat at every meal, but not the same favorite food every time. Make portions *tiny* (like a tablespoon) and let her know she can have more of anything if she finishes the little bit that's on her plate.

Have some patience. Most kids don't "grow up loving" all kinds of veggies. Its an acquired taste and texture, and they will often flip flop on what they like and don't like from week to week. If you start them off on mac&cheese and goldfish crackers, of course they're going to resist clean, unprocessed foods. And be realistic...you want her to like what you like, but she has grown up eating 'kid food' instead. If you know she resists "elaborate" meals, then dial it back for a while. Often kids will eat the same ingredients if you keep them simple, so put the same foods on her plate as you're eating, without the fancy sauces and toppings.

Don't let her see you sweat. Ignore the meltdowns...its a manipulation. Preschoolers have nothing better to do than push boundaries. Its not a fight if you don't let her push your buttons. Show her with your actions that this is not a topic that is up for debate. A toddler - or preschooler for that matter - is too young to be reasoned with. "Because I said so" is completely appropriate at that age. YOU are the grownup, you've done the research, you understand nutrition better than she does.
    +1

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast