Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red wine with Fish page

JonnyH is offline Senior Member

Red wine with Fish

Primal Fuel
    Hi

This may seem like a silly question, but I seem to remember reading somewhere, maybe on this site, that it's best to avoid wine and fish together at mealtimes due to the acohol oxidising the omega 3 oils in the fish. Is this true?!

I love a glass of red with my tea, and I am eating more fish these days, but I dont want to be doing any harm by combining the 2.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

I believe you may have read something similar on the Perfect Health Diet site. IIRC, there is no issue with drinking alcohol and eating fish, but Paul Jaminets did show that if you're having more than just a couple of glasses of alcohol, saturated fats are a better option than PUFAs found in fish. If you want the details, check their site. If you plan on a night of drinking, opt for the burger over the fish sandwich.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I thought the not drinking red wine with fish had something to do with the tannins in the wine not mixing well with the flavor of the fish.

You definitely don't want to drink a red with oysters, but a sauvingnon blanc goes wonderfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    I thought the not drinking red wine with fish had something to do with the tannins in the wine not mixing well with the flavor of the fish.

You definitely don't want to drink a red with oysters, but a sauvingnon blanc goes wonderfully.
    I believe the OP was asking about health issues of the interaction of alcohol and fish, but IMO it's always a matter of taste. Some fish could actually stand up to some red wines (grilled salmon and pinot noir). Swordfish, ahi, I would say could be eaten with reds or whites.

I would say reds would overwhelm the briny goodness of raw oysters, but a crisp white like a savvy blanc would go well; so would sparkling wine and even roses that don't have a lot of sweetness. In fact, roses on the drier side can have nice complexity that go well with fish, and offer a middle ground between red and white. They're perfect this time of year, too.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    I believe the OP was asking about health issues of the interaction of alcohol and fish, but IMO it's always a matter of taste. Some fish could actually stand up to some red wines (grilled salmon and pinot noir). Swordfish, ahi, I would say could be eaten with reds or whites.

I would say reds would overwhelm the briny goodness of raw oysters, but a crisp white like a savvy blanc would go well; so would sparkling wine and even roses that don't have a lot of sweetness. In fact, roses on the drier side can have nice complexity that go well with fish, and offer a middle ground between red and white. They're perfect this time of year, too.
    Never heard of any health issues with interaction of alcohol and fish.

Thanks for quick replies, yes I was concerned more with the health issues than with taste.

I will check out the PHD site, thanks for that, I only usually drink 1 glass with my evening meal, max 2 glasses at weekends maybe.

I'm sure I read it in a post somewhere from someone, it was like a throwaway remark.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    In fact, roses on the drier side can have nice complexity that go well with fish, and offer a middle ground between red and white. They're perfect this time of year, too.
    And some really good ones are very affordable. Like $6/bottle affordable. Garnacha or Tempranillo dry rosÚs are awesome now. And, like wearing a pink tie, you either get props for being secure enough to drink it, or people assume you're a sissy.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyH View Post
    Thanks for quick replies, yes I was concerned more with the health issues than with taste.

I will check out the PHD site, thanks for that, I only usually drink 1 glass with my evening meal, max 2 glasses at weekends maybe.

I'm sure I read it in a post somewhere from someone, it was like a throwaway remark.
    Just read this from the PHD site, seems like the sugars from the alcohol react with the PUFA's, so they say limit wine to maybe 1 glass on salmon days:

Alcohol | Perfect Health Diet

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    And some really good ones are very affordable. Like $6/bottle affordable. Garnacha or Tempranillo dry rosÚs are awesome now. And, like wearing a pink tie, you either get props for being secure enough to drink it, or people assume you're a sissy.
    As long as they're not white zins or sweet wines, they are both affordable and tasty, nice to drink in warm weather. I'm pretty damned secure about myself, LOL!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    As long as they're not white zins or sweet wines, they are both affordable and tasty, nice to drink in warm weather. I'm pretty damned secure about myself, LOL!
    Yeah, white zin is an abomination, and I'm proud to say most of the restaurants I tended bar in were classy enough to refuse to serve them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast