Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: alternatives to antibiotics for acne page 2

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I had a bad acne infection in my late 20s. After over a year of trying topical and medical treatments, the only thing that cleared it up was a 4-month course of antibiotics, which I agreed to as a last resort. I think by that point the original cause of the infection was irrelevant. The drugs cleared it up and I never had a problem again.

I'm not against antibiotics when they're prescribed for infection, or prevention of infection in the case of wisdom teeth extraction (that shit is nasty, nobody should have to experience that). I am opposed to antibiotics MIS-prescribed for every sniffle and virus.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Neely is offline Member
    I'm not suffering with ache but a recurring infection and I have been on and off antibiotics since January. Every time my course of antibiotics runs out I get recurring infection - the thing is extremely frustrating as it seems that the antibiotics are only holding the infection at bay and not solving the issue. I'm thinking of coming off them all together because it seems there is little point in taking them any more.Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried garlic tablets and vitamin C. In the last two/three month I have started eating paleo for good but even that has not helped to budge my infection.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Avoid all rancid oils, vegetable oils, dairy, fish oil, all grains and legumes, most sugar (including excess amounts of some fruits like mango, but most fruit is fine, especially apples). Avoid all soaps, shampoos, tap water and stress.

Megadose on dandelion root (chop and steep, drink and eat), green tea, green apples, berries, sunlight, icy water, land animal fats, meditation and slow breathing.

Some combination of the above factors should make a difference for you. It's worked for me, I'm often zit free for weeks at a time when I'm strict. But I'm still an instant boil farm if I eat some pizza!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Neely is offline Member
    Thanks some new things to try there. I've thought about looking for alternatives to shampoo as I wash my hair daily. I'm surprised at the inclusion of fish oil. Green tea I can add, dandelion root sounds a bit scary, berries and icy water are already there as are the grains and most dairy (I only eat a little dairy). I've not eaten a pizza since I started paleo two/three months ago but I used to eat two a week at least. I shall definitely try drinking more green tea immediately for starters to see if that helps. Thanks again.

Yeah, loading up on green tea alone will/should help a ton! I'll do six bags (twice a day, that's about the most you really want to be drinking due to fluoride, and I forget - oxalates, maybe?) in a large cup and let it steep for a few minutes, so it's very dark and very bitter. That seems to work best. Drink it on an empty stomach for best results, you'll feel it tightening your skin almost immediately.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Yeah, loading up on green tea alone will/should help a ton! I'll do six bags (twice a day, that's about the most you really want to be drinking due to fluoride, and I forget - oxalates, maybe?) in a large cup and let it steep for a few minutes, so it's very dark and very bitter. That seems to work best. Drink it on an empty stomach for best results, you'll feel it tightening your skin almost immediately.
    Knife, can't too much tea cause iron issues?
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Is your diet completely grain free? My son has completely cleared his severe acne by going 100% grain free. Even a bite will result in a break out the next day.

Have you tried ProActive? Its a good product - but still couldn't do what going 100% grain free has done on my sons acne - face and back - all clear as long as he stays 100% grain free.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Primal Sarah is offline Junior Member
    After becoming Primal, I was hoping my skin would clear up. It didn't. I tried Proactiv Solution and it worked pretty good. I wasn't too keen on the price of it or the idea of putting harsh chemicals on my skin. Then, all of a sudden, Proactiv stopped working and my skin got even worse than it was before I started. I was 30 and looked like an adolescent going through puberty!! So I stopped that and got a mild cleanser with a little brush to wash my face and scrub the makeup off. Then I slather on coconut oil in the morning and at night. I also smear on honey as a mask about once a week. Both coconut oil and honey have antibacterial properties and leave your skin super soft! My skin is looking FANTASTIC! I wish I had discovered this cheap natural remedy long ago! Would have saved me lots of $$ and stress!

Knife, can't too much tea cause iron issues?
    Only if you drink it with your food, as I understand it. Too much is too much, though - and I wouldn't recommend anyone drink 12 bags a day on a regular basis. Possible fluorosis in time.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Only if you drink it with your food, as I understand it. Too much is too much, though - and I wouldn't recommend anyone drink 12 bags a day on a regular basis. Possible fluorosis in time.
    You mentioned one time about not washing the body so much
    As someone who already don't use soap (except shampoo for the dandruff I had), going water-free is kinda scary.
    But after a few days my skin looks much better. No showering at all except going to the sea. No soap.
    Sounds disgusting but I feel good and it seems to work. I guess it's the fluoride in the water..

Oh and I eat lots of fat - more meat, more eggs, tons of avocado and handful of almonds of every day.
    Don't fear whole foods!
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast