Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tired and sleepy, when having DOMS page

inesenite is offline Senior Member

Tired and sleepy, when having DOMS

Primal Fuel
    Hey fit people! I am getting a bit annoyed - I am always really tired and sleepy when I have DOMS and totally energetic and happy when DOMS is light or non-existent. It happens even if DOMS kick in more than a day after the training - I would train to "death", have 24 "happy hours" afterwards and then fatigue would kick in together with DOMS... Any advice?
    May be I am just a wussy who can't stand pain?
    I probably must add that my workouts are intense and muscle-group specific - quite high reps to failure (8-12), 10 second break before next set, 4 exercises in a superset with 3 min rest between the supersets. It's a fat loss programme my Biosignature trainer gave me.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    my advice is to rest and let your muscles recover. i suppose you could also try a little active recovery by taking a walk or going on a light bike ride. listen to your body. consider DOMS your body's way of saying 'sit your ass down and stop making me work so hard'

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    my advice is to rest and let your muscles recover. i suppose you could also try a little active recovery by taking a walk or going on a light bike ride. listen to your body. consider DOMS your body's way of saying 'sit your ass down and stop making me work so hard'
    Thank you, Primalrob! I do quite a bit of walking every day, as well as stretching and foam rolling to help with DOMS. However, not getting them is not an option, I suppose, - my trainer says the program is built to provoke them - for hormone response - to get the best fat loss effect. May be I should cheat a little from time to time

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    You could (and probably should... everyone should) include some massage in your recovery or 'off' days (or pre/post workout) get a foam roller and attack the areas you know will be sore. Also, if you don't take fish oil or eat plenty of fatty fish - start immediately. The anti-inflammatory properties of fish oil will surely aid in recovery, if you choose to supplement look into a quality product, pharmaceutical grade if you can find it. The price will be a little daunting, but you don't want to put shit in your body, you know?

If you also don't take magnesium, start! Charles Poliquin's Blog - Tip 359: Take Magnesium Post-Workout to Get Stronger and Speed Recovery

magnesium chelate (glycinate) is best for this purpose - important tip DO NOT... DO NOT take all mag at once, it is a laxative when taken in high doses. I would shoot for 400mg post workout, 200mg before bed for a total of 600mg per day. Start off slow (200mg/day for a week, 400/mg day for the next or for two weeks, etc) you could absolutely include magnesium rich food in your diet, but it won't come close to what you can get via supplementation.

You're going to have to do self-experimentation with the above and see how it goes for you, fish oil and mag depend on your bodyweight so do further reading on those.

Also, some people seem to experience greatly reduced DOMS if they take cold baths post-workout. If this is feasible for you, you should surely give it a try as well. I personally don't partake because it's time-consuming and honestly... I don't like super cold water, but I do want to dabble for a few weeks and see if it indeed does what it says.

Browse the web for more recovery tips, but the type of workout you're doing is always going to result in DOMS, you can just try to limit it somewhat. In all honesty, I'm not a big fan of high-rep, minimal rest workouts, but I have read about their effectiveness when it comes to fat loss, so keep pushing and see how it goes. Don't be afraid to try other alternatives (strength based workouts with conditioning work on the side, in other words, the primal blueprint way!) if your results aren't what you expected.

Hope that helps some.

Thank you very much, iniQuity. Nice to see references to Poliquin Thing is, I am currently in my 7th week of Poliquin's Biosignature, so I am taking high doses of both fish oil (25g a day) and Poliquin's 4 chelate magnesium as well as half a bucket of other supplements (multi, zinc, HCL, probiotic, etc.). In 6 weeks I have gone from 22% fodyfat to 17,5% and upped my lean mass a bit, so it must be somewhat working. I will stop fatloss, once I reach 15-16% because I don't think I should go much lower - otherwise all my girly bits will disappear
    I am not really that bothered by DOMS as such, just by the fatigue that comes with them... Will try to be more consistent with cold water (I only do contrast showers now) and foam rolling/stretching.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by inesenite View Post
    Thank you very much, iniQuity. Nice to see references to Poliquin Thing is, I am currently in my 7th week of Poliquin's Biosignature, so I am taking high doses of both fish oil (25g a day) and Poliquin's 4 chelate magnesium as well as half a bucket of other supplements (multi, zinc, HCL, probiotic, etc.). In 6 weeks I have gone from 22% fodyfat to 17,5% and upped my lean mass a bit, so it must be somewhat working. I will stop fatloss, once I reach 15-16% because I don't think I should go much lower - otherwise all my girly bits will disappear
    I am not really that bothered by DOMS as such, just by the fatigue that comes with them... Will try to be more consistent with cold water (I only do contrast showers now) and foam rolling/stretching.

Hmm, I see, how about something for adrenal support? I'm sure Poliquin sells it, might be what you need for the fatigue?

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    Increase food and sleep. Sounds simple but it's often hard the well fed and well rested thing helps me. If I under eat or don't get enough sleep I take longer to recover. Eventually your body will adapt to the current stress level if you feed it and rest it and the occurrence of muscle soreness will reduce and fade until you have to do crazy things to achieve it.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

iniQuity: thank you, I will check with my trainer when I see him.

bryanccfshr: thank you! you might be right about the sleep bit - my lifestyle only allows be about 7 hrs of sleep Will have to try improving that.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    You're working out too hard / too frequently, not eating enough, not sleeping enough.

Focus on getting stronger with strength training (not killing yourself), sprinting for explosiveness / conditioning, and walking for the weight loss aspect of fitness.

Weight loss will be a function of diet... abs are built in the kitchen

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    You're working out too hard / too frequently, not eating enough, not sleeping enough.

Focus on getting stronger with strength training (not killing yourself), sprinting for explosiveness / conditioning, and walking for the weight loss aspect of fitness.

Weight loss will be a function of diet... abs are built in the kitchen
    +1
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast