Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I know counting calories is discouraged, BUT... page 2

perfexionist is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I know it's generally not a good idea to skip eating for the rest of the day. I know it's an ED behavior. I'm starting to wish I had never mentioned the eating disorder... because once you tell someone you had an ED, it's all like, oh my goodness, you're not allowed to lose weight, don't count calories, yada yada yada. As far as I know, I do not have BDD. I am definitely not underweight, and this is in the opinion of others (doctors, family, friends), not just myself. Nobody considered me underweight back when I was 15 lbs lighter than I am currently. I was hospitalized not for physical health reasons, but for the obsessive behavior, which has greatly improved.

I know I still have some ED-type behaviors, but I have found that when I stop counting, I gain weight, and plenty of it. I simply cannot handle that. No amount of time in treatment will ever decrease my fear of gaining weight; it is just part of my mindset.

Thank you for the advice though. I will give it serious thought.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    ED behavior takes a really long time to heal. The best way, imo, is to go for long stints of just relaxing your mind and not allow those calorie counting-obsessive thoughts to resurface. It seems like you're no longer that obsessed, but I would say that it is absolutely worth it to leave the calorie counting for a while, even if it leads to weight gain. You will eventually lose it. Primal is about gradual gains to health, not quick ways to lose fat.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perfexionist View Post
    My knee-jerk reaction is to say, hell, I'm not eating for the rest of the day. I'll just do better tomorrow. Is there any reason that's a bad idea?
    The knee-jerk reaction/self-flagelation is probably a bad idea. I think you know somewhere inside you whether your thoughts and behaviors are healthy and realistic or not. However, if you are actually full and not hungry there is nothing wrong with not eating again until tomorrow.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

diverchick is offline Junior Member

Calorie counting?

I have a question regarding calorie counting. I have been eating primal for the past 2 weeks. I am 5'6" female, I weigh 185 lbs and am roughly 26% BF. I am very athletic. My stats in the gym are as follows:
    Bench press: 205 lbs
    Back Squat: 245 lbs
    Deadlift: 315 lbs
    5 km run time: 26min30 sec
    1 mile run time: 7 min 40 sec
    Wide grip pull-ups: 10

I do crossfit 4 times a week, I run 3 times a week (including one dedicated sprint day), I lift heavy twice a week and have 2 full rest days a week (wednesday and sunday). I get between 7-8 hours of sleep and drink 3-5 litres of water a day. I am currently counting my calories as I want to drop bf%. Since I have gone primal I have been eating according to what my body tells me...hungry I eat, not I don't. I have been tracking everything using Fitday.com . I average between 1800-2000 Cal a day.....is this enough? My macros are pretty good, and I keep my carbs below 50g a day (on most days), but after a heavy intense effort I will increase to sometimes 100g (especially if I am feeling lethargic).-I eat only sweet potato,squash and fruits for the carbs. I eat tons of veggies and protein and have incorporated more coconut oil into my diet for good fats. Should I count my calories? Is this enough food for me? I don't know what to believe anymore for my caloric intake as different sites state different numbers (varying from 1650 Cal to 3200 Cal)-and I do calculate taking into account my activity level. I am really focused on losing fat and getting as healthy and fit as humanly possible for me! Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance!

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigigaw View Post
    There is nothing wrong with count calories. I'd encourage counting macro nutrients as well. When adjusting to Primal eating though, I'd recommend NOT limiting calorie intake. I track what I eat using very precise means, mostly because I enjoy doing it. What I have discovered is that your calorie intake matters little when compared to Carb intake. If I increased my carb intake, keeping a constant calorie intake, I gained weight.
    Yep, you probably gained water- and lean muscle/organ weight! Remember that one pound of lean tissue is 400 calories versus 3500 calories for one pound of fat...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diverchick View Post
    I have a question regarding calorie counting. I have been eating primal for the past 2 weeks. I am 5'6" female, I weigh 185 lbs and am roughly 26% BF. I am very athletic. My stats in the gym are as follows:
    Bench press: 205 lbs
    Back Squat: 245 lbs
    Deadlift: 315 lbs
    5 km run time: 26min30 sec
    1 mile run time: 7 min 40 sec
    Wide grip pull-ups: 10

I do crossfit 4 times a week, I run 3 times a week (including one dedicated sprint day), I lift heavy twice a week and have 2 full rest days a week (wednesday and sunday). I get between 7-8 hours of sleep and drink 3-5 litres of water a day. I am currently counting my calories as I want to drop bf%. Since I have gone primal I have been eating according to what my body tells me...hungry I eat, not I don't. I have been tracking everything using Fitday.com . I average between 1800-2000 Cal a day.....is this enough? My macros are pretty good, and I keep my carbs below 50g a day (on most days), but after a heavy intense effort I will increase to sometimes 100g (especially if I am feeling lethargic).-I eat only sweet potato,squash and fruits for the carbs. I eat tons of veggies and protein and have incorporated more coconut oil into my diet for good fats. Should I count my calories? Is this enough food for me? I don't know what to believe anymore for my caloric intake as different sites state different numbers (varying from 1650 Cal to 3200 Cal)-and I do calculate taking into account my activity level. I am really focused on losing fat and getting as healthy and fit as humanly possible for me! Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance!
    Goals? Really that will determine the Rx from here.

Emelie is offline Junior Member
    Oh your background story sounds almost exactly like mine, I have a post I wrote yesterday http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread92579.html if you want to read it. We are about the same age as well! The only difference is that I realized what you must have realized now 2 years ago. For me, my metabolism is broken, and I haven't been able to fix it yet. I'm not giving up but I don't know what to do next. I hope your primal path will be easier than mine and that you will have great success with this method! I have fixed all my previous health problems and this is why I love this and sticking to this, but not been able to lose any body fat.

diverchick is offline Junior Member

Goals

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Goals? Really that will determine the Rx from here.
    My goals are to shave at least 40 seconds off of my mile time, increase my pull ups (would love to hammer out 18-20), lose 6-8 % body fat. Shave at least 1min-2min off of my 5 km time. Do free standing handstand push ups (I can do 6-8 against the wall without kipping now), do a muscle up. Compete in crossfit games!

Thanks!!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I average between 1800-2000 Cal a day.....is this enough?
    That's around what I eat. I am nowhere near as strong or fast as you. 5'6/175. I started Crossfit 3-4 months ago and have been getting consistently stronger. My weight is up a couple of pounds but down a dress size. It's probably a good starting point for you as for me, yes I have gained muscle and lost fat. I do make it a point to eat less fat/more carbs and really focus on protein. On off days, I do low carb and fill up on some fats.

Performance wise, I would think you need to eat to support your workouts because those will determine your gains. I imagine it is a balancing act to cut fat and stay fueled for workouts. I can get sluggish if I eat too much fat/too few carbs.

FWIW, you sound fucking strong and athletic and it sounds like you obviously have your food and activity dialed in to be at the point you are at.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diverchick View Post
    My goals are to shave at least 40 seconds off of my mile time, increase my pull ups (would love to hammer out 18-20), lose 6-8 % body fat. Shave at least 1min-2min off of my 5 km time. Do free standing handstand push ups (I can do 6-8 against the wall without kipping now), do a muscle up. Compete in crossfit games!

Thanks!!
    You are kind of amazing

Cal count wise, are you hungry with your current amount or do you feel good? I think metabolisms vary so you are going to have to go by feel a little bit, once you've seen the basic estimate for what you burn...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast