Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strength vs Hypertrophy (bodybuilding) for fat loss page 2

en2ec is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone for all of your replies. Looks like the consensus is to stick with my strength training program, at least until I plateau. That's been my strategy all along. I just had some doubts after talking to the trainer. Thanks also for the links and podcast references. I was under the mistaken impression that muscle did consume significantly more calories than fat, but it looks like its benefits have more to do with improving insulin sensitivity, which in my case is all the more reason to keep building strength.

Quote Originally Posted by CE402 View Post
    If you want to shed body fat, look into a bulk/cut cycle? Max out your LP on SS, it won't last more than 10-14 months at the most, then start periodizing your training. 4 weeks of strength, week off, 4 weeks of conditioning, week off, 4 weeks of mobility? I think Robb Wolf covered this in a podcast a while back. Something like ideal way to train to be Batman or something...

Found it- episode 116.
    Thanks for the good advice. My original plan was to do SS until a plateau and then move on to something more advanced. So this helps me confirm that I was and am on the right track. Thanks also for the podcast reference. I'll listen as soon as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    First thing is first, I tell all my clients this, PICK YOU GOAL, it's hard as shit to build muscle, lose fat, play black jack, ride a dragon, lean mma, all at once as most people want. So, fat loss? awesome. Every aspect of your training should be towards that goal, hypertrophy is just more water and glycogen in the muscles ( hence the big look), they wont consume more calories like little eating machines inside your biceps. Now I believe most strength programs do need hyptertrophy in them as well as strength, ( read Jim Wendlers 5/3/1) but since your goal is fat loss, as is mine, while keeping primal etc etc here is an example of what I do and i have had success from it.

First off I fast everyday, and have an 8 hour eating window ( courtesy of leangains) I always work out fasted with BCAA's in my system. I do two days of heavy lifting, compound exercises and then accessory lifts, so Monday is: Bench, Dead, Rows, Dips, Prowler or Hills. So for you, try this for a MONTH and tell me if you lose fat, if you are up to it. Train twice a week, doing two big lifts on that day, I like Bench Dead day one, and Squat, overhead press on day two, followed by two exercises to support the big lifts, bent over rows, dips, pull ups, good mornings, hamstring curls. Now, on top of this, 3 days of conditioning, hill sprints, sprints, on non-consecutive days, I throw my conditioning in after my workouts, and on one off day, every other off day I'm walking around the park for an hour and a half, roughly 3.5 miles. ALSO, cut out all fruit and starchy carbs ( potatoes etc) yes ALL FRUIT. Only allow yourself some fruit or potato after your two lifting days, After I squat and dead I eat a sweet potato and blackberries, cavemen didn't have fruit year round, you will be fine. Good luck.
    I've heard some references to 5/3/1 but haven't looked into it. I will now. Do you think I'd have better progress on 5/3/1 now than on SS? Or should I switch to 5/3/1 after I plateau?

Today is my third day of IF following the leangains protocol. The first day was a struggle, but I hadn't eaten properly the previous evening. Yesterday worked brilliantly. Today is fine so far, but I have 3 hours before hitting the gym and 4 hours before I break the fast.

I work out at the gym next to my office and go during lunch, so I can only do a fairly short workout. I'm not sure I could do everything you are recommending in a single workout. My schedule now is to lift M W F and to swim T Th. On my lifting days, I do some karate katas (I studied Uechi Ryu karate for 5 years) after I lift. These are the equivalent of my sprints -- they are very high intensity for 30 to 60 seconds with a short break, then I do another. I do between 4 and 6 of them. And on swim days I focus on swimming at a pace that I can keep going with only minimal breaks to catch a couple of breaths every few laps. I have asthma and have seen huge improvements in my breathing from swimming. I do it for that more than for burning fat, etc.

I've significantly cut down on starches. I have berries with coconut milk for my dessert after dinner, but berries don't have a lot of carbs. A few times a week, I'll have a small portion of sweet potato. Otherwise, all my carbs are from low-carb vegetables.

Since joining the gym 9 weeks ago, I've lost 17 pounds. Since starting paleo 11 days ago, I've lost 6 of those 17 pounds. I'm very pleased with the results. And I've been able to maintain my linear progression except for bench, which I think I started too heavy in the first place and will have to deload now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrish2891 View Post
    Strength training will build muscle, just at a slower rate since it tends to be myofibrillar hypertrophy (AKA protein hypertrophy) whereas "hypertrophy" training causes sarcoplasmic hypertrophy which is just more fluid in the muscle. Strength training also increases testosterone whereas traditional hypertrophy training tends to increase growth hormone (by releasing lactic acid).
    I've found that the best way to build muscle is to do a big lift for strength (bench, squat, deadlift, overhead press, pull up) and then do some hypertrophy work. This is very similar to 5/3/1. For fat loss, I add in metabolic work at the end of the session (circuit training, sprints, weighted sled pulls/pushes, farmers walks).
    Thanks for the explanation of the differences in how strength vs "hypertrophy" affect the muscle. You are the second to suggest 5/3/1, so I will definitely take a look. Cheers.

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Go for a functional body: strength, flexibility, dynamism, speed, etc. That's what our body is made for. The aestetic part will come naturally as the result of conditioning.

To quote Francis Bacon: We cannot command nature except by obeying her

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by en2ec View Post
    Thanks everyone for all of your replies. Looks like the consensus is to stick with my strength training program, at least until I plateau. That's been my strategy all along. I just had some doubts after talking to the trainer. Thanks also for the links and podcast references. I was under the mistaken impression that muscle did consume significantly more calories than fat, but it looks like its benefits have more to do with improving insulin sensitivity, which in my case is all the more reason to keep building strength.
    Don't let anything or anybody else confuse you about this. It's a good filter for metabolic and nutritional information. Best of luck in your quest for improved health.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I did stronglifts 5x5 for a while and definitely got stronger, the thing I like about 5/3/1 is that it has heavy singles in it, and it's not so much the weight that you are trying to get up but the reps, so lets say you bench 225 x1, you are feeling good that day and have a spotter and get out 2 reps, congratulations you got stronger! get 230 x1 3 weeks from now. As long as you are getting in your conditioning somehow that's all that matters, sounds like your carbs are in check too. I personally like 5/3/1 it really gets you to concentrate and kick ass on the big lifts. Sounds like you have everything in order though, keep going, keep fasting, as we get leaner it's harder to notice fat loss so stick with it, and read up on 5/3/1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12