Thread: New to exercise, worried about overtraining page

ewiggy24 is offline Junior Member

New to exercise, worried about overtraining

Shop Now
    I feel like every other time in my life I overworked to the point where I was fatigued constantly. I was thinking about alternating p90x exercises with rest days every other day. Will this be enough to get me in shape good? I am already near no fat left after 4 months of being primal, and I just want to be ripped.

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    If you are new to exercise, you want to start lighter, to avoid injury and crippling fatigue. Start by walking, or hiking for a half hour every day, or an hour, every other day. Do you have a body band and light weights? Even fifteen minutes of resistance exercises or a very light weight routine (check youtube or your library for free instructional videos) every day, in addition to walks can be very effective and help you build up strength and endurance to tackle something strenuous, like P90X. Give it at least a month with the walking/hiking/light resistance stuff, before you jump in to something so taxing.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewiggy24 View Post
    I feel like every other time in my life I overworked to the point where I was fatigued constantly. I was thinking about alternating p90x exercises with rest days every other day. Will this be enough to get me in shape good? I am already near no fat left after 4 months of being primal, and I just want to be ripped.
    P90X, Insanity and Similar Nonsense | High Intensity Training by Drew Baye

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Agree with above. It is extremely important to start slow and build momentum.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

ewiggy24 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    If you are new to exercise, you want to start lighter, to avoid injury and crippling fatigue. Start by walking, or hiking for a half hour every day, or an hour, every other day. Do you have a body band and light weights? Even fifteen minutes of resistance exercises or a very light weight routine (check youtube or your library for free instructional videos) every day, in addition to walks can be very effective and help you build up strength and endurance to tackle something strenuous, like P90X. Give it at least a month with the walking/hiking/light resistance stuff, before you jump in to something so taxing.
    Oh sorry, I meant I was new to standard exercising. I work as a busboy (a lot of walking and carrying heavy boxes) and walk to work (20 minutes each direction, usually at a fast pace.). I just never had a set regime before. I barely know what words like squats mean. Which is why I like p90x so much, it's just that easy to press play and follow instructions. Although, HIT sounds really cool. Less time is attractive, and pushing myself harder for a shorter period of time is attractive. Only problem is I have almost no gym equipment except for a couple 15 pound weights and a new pull up bar. Could I make a routine of workouts with just these and my own body? Should I grab his 101 workouts and try to piece something together?

I already have strength. I just want to be more visibly appealing. Less lanky.

My job also worries me about overworking. For instance right after I did the shoulder chest workout I had a shipment of heavy boxes to move around at work. It wasn't fun.

I also wouldn't want to do any cardio. I never enjoyed it, and prefer walking. So the only p90x exercises I have done were focusing on muscles. Chest, Arms, Legs, Back, whatever.

Oh and thanks for the response guys. Just made it primal around four months back. Feeling great and looking to feel better.

Edit: Just read about yayog. Would that work for me?
    Last edited by ewiggy24; 06-06-2012 at 06:44 AM.

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    Even without the pull up bar and weights, you absolutely can build a solid work out. With them, easy!

I suggest downloading the PBF ebook (Primal Blueprint Fitness) free from this site and giving it a shot.

Rosencrantz1 is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigigaw View Post
    Even without the pull up bar and weights, you absolutely can build a solid work out. With them, easy!

I suggest downloading the PBF ebook (Primal Blueprint Fitness) free from this site and giving it a shot.
    +1